Maurizio Bass

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Bradley1602
Alf Garnett
Maurizio Bass

Post by Bradley1602 »

The Mother of all Questions i want to ask. Been listening to Basic Channel, Maurizio, Rythm Sound again more lately. Just cant get enough of their stuff. Has anybody got tips how to assure this muffled out bassline sound they achieved. As a reference i got this wonderful Maurizio track. Searched through the hole but not too much about Basic Channel so maybe somebody knows. :ugeek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWHtlnLT1c
Less is not always more.

oddmyth
Anba
Re: Maurizio Bass

Post by oddmyth »

FWIW to post youtube links just use the full editor, hit the Youtube button and copy everything after "watch?v=" (so in this case 9zWHtlnLT1c) in between the tags

youtu.be/9zWHtlnLT1c

As for Maurizio bass, I think we've discussed it before, but basically like most M series basslines he's just taken a basic sine wave bassline and overdriven it (probably to tape). By smashing the bassline into the limiter, he lops off the top of the wave and adds a tonne of saturation to the signal. This is what makes this sine wave bassline sound like it's a very dirty square wave bassline.

A lot of dub is about taking gear to extremes, while the music can sound subtle the process is usually quite the opposite.

Some people miss this remix when they are searching through the M stuff.
youtu.be/M7emQ-9vaMY

Also do check out the new Moritz/Juan album Borderlands, it kicks ass.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

If you post an example of your own attempt it'll be easier to give some tips on what you could improve upon.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I imagine the bass was driven hard into the desk channel, and then also saturated heavy when it went down to tape, it decidedly has that tape sound, controlled dynamics.

So saturation saturation saturation. Possibly some bass drive on an EQ that can take it, roll off them tops.
The sond is probably sine based.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

hey guys thanks for the replies subsekt is just so full of knowledge. great tips have to try them. youtubeing is learned now.. :mrgreen:
Less is not always more.

endfindead
Poo Fingers

Post by endfindead »

My tape machine has never worked so I've never gotten to actually drive tape or play around... I had a Maurizio bassline in my head all week and now I know how to do it... fix my tape machine!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well you can, if you don't have tape, just compress and saturate, and roll the tops down.
Nothing really sounds like tape though.
New Shit

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

You could spend hours playing with tape emulation ( I know I have ).
Tape is only part of the equation though, although it is a major part, getting something soft and fuzzy like that takes time.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Great info above guys, may have a go at a Maurizio/Basic Channel/Deepchord type track today. Funny, I love Dub techno but I have never had a stab at making it.

oddmyth wrote:Also do check out the new Moritz/Juan album Borderlands, it kicks ass.
cheers for the heads up, just checked the samples at Boomkat, awesome stuff.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

I dont know why really but dub techno is just this blue timeless waterfall form of making electronic music. cant stop coming back at it since listeing to house and techno... And yeah listened to borderland yesterday it rocks
Less is not always more.

endfindead
Poo Fingers

Post by endfindead »

I'm just going to bang sines through a tape adaptor onto a fisher-price cassette recorder and see what happens :D

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

endfindead wrote:I'm just going to bang sines through a tape adaptor onto a fisher-price cassette recorder and see what happens :D
Go one step further and record it on a answering machine cassette tape :D

endfindead
Poo Fingers

Post by endfindead »

Crap, I just saw an answering machine in a charity shop the other day, never had one so never even considered misuse... Nice one Ashley! Mwahahaha!

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Doesn't always work, many cassette tape decks will go into digital clipping on the input or internal circuits before magnetic saturation occurs when hitting the tape.

wormcode
unsure

Post by wormcode »

Cassettes can be interesting for lofi weird artifacting effects, especially metal tapes, but tape reel2reels from Akai, TEAC, Studer etc are what is used more often for 'that sound'. You can drive them very nicely. I have a few of them, but repairs are costly, and tape gets more expensive every day.
Orgue Electronique is selling his Studer for a good price: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 452&type=1

s-tek
beast

Post by s-tek »

its easier than you all think about it =)

just record a deep down sine or pulse wave and filter it to hell. the key is to use more than one filter (best way with much more resonance and bandpass) in a cascade behind the sine wave ;)

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Uh, filtering a sine wave will have no effect, since the sine has no overtones to be filtered. The only thing that would happen is that the volume will be reduced once the filter cutoff goes below the sines frequency. It will always sound like a sine. You can't filter one. Please don't post stuff that is plainly incorrect. And you are a supposed mixing and mastering engineer?

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

innovine wrote:Uh, filtering a sine wave will have no effect, since the sine has no overtones to be filtered. The only thing that would happen is that the volume will be reduced once the filter cutoff goes below the sines frequency. It will always sound like a sine. You can't filter one. Please don't post stuff that is plainly incorrect. And you are a supposed mixing and mastering engineer?
He said using resonance. Resonance increases amplitude at the cutoff point allowing you boost a fundamental or create completely new harmonic partials (a filter cascade, as he suggested.) But, being such an expert, I'm sure you already knew all that.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

innovine wrote:Uh, filtering a sine wave will have no effect, since the sine has no overtones to be filtered. The only thing that would happen is that the volume will be reduced once the filter cutoff goes below the sines frequency. It will always sound like a sine. You can't filter one. Please don't post stuff that is plainly incorrect. And you are a supposed mixing and mastering engineer?
What's wrong with you??? Did you actually read what S-Tek wrote,Mr. Iknowwhassup?

http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:
What's wrong with you??? Did you actually read what S-Tek wrote,Mr. Iknowwhassup?

Actually he does have a reasonable point, there isn`t much in a sine for a filter, even with resonance to work with. It would be better with a dual osc, or something with some texture. You could use more than one filter, but then it is the filters making that sound, which is a bit overcomplicated for what is essentially something that is just heavily saturated and EQ`d right down.
Or, like in the original, track to tape and then mix to tape, all the smearing and so on makes the lovely Basic Channel sound.
There was no need to aggressively attack S-tek over it though, that was a bit juvenile.
Maybe innovine is on his period?
New Shit