Hey folks!

I hope someone can tell me how to get this synth done via FM (Operator):

http://www.beatport.com/track/notes-lik ... ix/3854949

Cheers!

ozias_leduc
ANAL
Re: How to make this synth?

Post by ozias_leduc »

aren't there enough dub-chord based tracks already?

seriously - if you want to make more, i think we'll have to delete some first

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

here's a thread you will like though

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1218

the song you posted is just a dead standard dubchord stab with a triplet timed LFO modulating the filter

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Wow. That really is dull.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Its a great riff.. just a pity it doesn't have another element / develop a bit. Sounds like one of my loops - on loop haha
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

ozias_leduc wrote:aren't there enough dub-chord based tracks already?

seriously - if you want to make more, i think we'll have to delete some first
:lol:

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

ICN wrote:Its a great riff.. just a pity it doesn't have another element / develop a bit. Sounds like one of my loops - on loop haha
:lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

FreddeS wrote:Hey folks!

I hope someone can tell me how to get this synth done via FM (Operator):

http://www.beatport.com/track/notes-lik ... ix/3854949

Cheers!
Ok, briefly.

1) This is an analog style sound so you won`t get too far using FM

2) Find analog synth or vst, something with a nice phat filter. My choice would be Korg monopoly

3) Learn how to make Bar Chords. It`s easy and you don`t need to learn keys with them, you can just wack a bar chord anywhere, it`s like music for dummies. Learn bar chord, place randomly within 16 step pattern, yay dub techno!!

4) Modulate your filter (if possible add some white noise to output to give filter something to add some soft wooshyness too) with filter envelopes or LFO, or even better, program/automate it.

All done, add kick, maybe a hat, hit record, throw yourself down the stairs with sequencer, when you hit the bottom press stop.

Release on beatport.

Advanced lessons.

5) Use some delay..
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Hey Steve, what do you mean by "Bar Chord" in this context? To me a bar chord is simply a moveable chord played on guitar (i.e. you don't play any open strings so can move the chord up and down the fret board).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

A major or minor chord
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

bram2000 wrote:Hey Steve, what do you mean by "Bar Chord" in this context? To me a bar chord is simply a moveable chord played on guitar (i.e. you don't play any open strings so can move the chord up and down the fret board).
Barre chord to be correct. Yes it is a movable, fretable chord on guitar, but the premise transfers to the keyboard too.
Something like an eminor barre EBEGB for instance (commonly used in reggae and dub, and so transfers to dub techno obviously)

IT`s the easy route in to dub techno stabs, of course, but there it is. Wack some of them in with a nice thick analog synth sound, move em around a bit, filter, delay, 808 kick, bobs your turning in his grave marley teapot.
New Shit

Zappa
Opposite

Post by Zappa »

Lost to the Void wrote:Barre chord to be correct. Yes it is a movable, fretable chord on guitar, but the premise transfers to the keyboard too.
Something like an eminor barre EBEGB for instance (commonly used in reggae and dub, and so transfers to dub techno obviously)

IT`s the easy route in to dub techno stabs, of course, but there it is. Wack some of them in with a nice thick analog synth sound, move em around a bit, filter, delay, 808 kick, bobs your turning in his grave marley teapot.
With 2 nice sawtooth oscillators detuned and a little cross modulation between them that chord is really pretty cool. You can get some great (but not cheap or cheesy) old skool Chicago house type sounds. Ok, so it'll sound very familiar, but you can make it sound really good.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cross modulation? Modulating the phase of the 2 Osc's - if I'm picking you up right?

I find thats a nice way to spice up a couple of saws alright

Zappa
Opposite

Post by Zappa »

ICN wrote:Cross modulation? Modulating the phase of the 2 Osc's - if I'm picking you up right?

I find thats a nice way to spice up a couple of saws alright
What I meant is lightly/slightly modulating the frequency of your master osc with a course & fine detuned slave osc. Tune the slave/second osc say (just for example) 5 semitones course and a few cents fine up from the master, then cross modulate the frequency of the master osc with it a little. Anywhere at all really in your common -12 to +12 semitone course tune range can work depending on the tuning and type of timbre you're after.

Yes, it's basic fm, but definitely a nice way to spice up a couple of sawtooths! It was commonly used on some of the old analogue synths from the likes of Arp, Octave etc and you could actually cross modulate the oscs in either direction or in both directions simultaneously for even crazier timbres. I'm sure the folk using analogue and virtual analogue modular synths do it all the time too.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cool, thanks for that Z. I think I kinda do that too, or something in the same spirit anyway. In Sylenth, I like to fast modulate the pitch or filter with a lfo in ms. It can sound quite rough, abrasive and FM-y.

I don't think I have any soft synths that let you do what you've Explained. Can you think of any?

Zappa
Opposite

Post by Zappa »

I recorded a quick loop jam last night to demonstrate the sound of what I was talking about - https://soundcloud.com/thezappa/voyant-free-download

That's a slave/second synth osc detuned by -7 semitones, +5 cents and with just a touch of cross frequency modulation from osc 2 > 1 to enrichen the timbres and add subtle movement in the sound.

The jam aspect is basically just tweeking the filter and turning the VCF LFO mod from from positive to negative (and vice versa). You get the nice old skool sounding movement by not using a BPM synced lfo because old synths didn't have that obviously and you want it to drift and give you nice swings and shuffles....

Zappa
Opposite

Post by Zappa »

ICN wrote:Cool, thanks for that Z. I think I kinda do that too, or something in the same spirit anyway. In Sylenth, I like to fast modulate the pitch or filter with a lfo in ms. It can sound quite rough, abrasive and FM-y.

I don't think I have any soft synths that let you do what you've Explained. Can you think of any?
Hi mate, there must be a few. The virtual Arps should do the trick. I don't use soft synths very often at all here, just real analogue or virtual analogue dsp synths & virtual modular on Scope. The sound I posted above was just made using a basic synth patch I had already made in the virtual modular enviroment on Scope and sent through a little reverb.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Deadly.. thanks a lot.

I'm looking through my synths atm.. :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Zappa wrote:I recorded a quick loop jam last night to demonstrate the sound of what I was talking about - https://soundcloud.com/thezappa/voyant-free-download

That's a slave/second synth osc detuned by -7 semitones, +5 cents and with just a touch of cross frequency modulation from osc 2 > 1 to enrichen the timbres and add subtle movement in the sound.

The jam aspect is basically just tweeking the filter and turning the VCF LFO mod from from positive to negative (and vice versa). You get the nice old skool sounding movement by not using a BPM synced lfo because old synths didn't have that obviously and you want it to drift and give you nice swings and shuffles....
There you go, that took what, 10 mins to do? Got yourself a whole Truncate EP from that 10 mins........
New Shit

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

ICN wrote:Cool, thanks for that Z. I think I kinda do that too, or something in the same spirit anyway. In Sylenth, I like to fast modulate the pitch or filter with a lfo in ms. It can sound quite rough, abrasive and FM-y.

Pretty sure you can do this using Ableton's Analog. You can route a percent of OSC1 to OSC2 or vice versa, or possibly both (can't quite remember off hand).
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca