Subsekt Creativity Experiment [Three Sounds Only]

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Tobs
Pig
Re: Subsekt Creativity Experiment [Three Sounds Only]

Post by Tobs »

Yo, here's my go at it:

This was such a nice experience, had lots of fun. At first i did something quite simple, then i heard all the other entries, i thought that i should try and do something nice. So i had to push myself harder and was able to do a pad, a bass and some random sounds.

great idea Matthias!
"needs more cowbell"

http://soundcloud.com/yassir

Opuswerk
beast

Post by Opuswerk »

Akkya wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:Had very little time, but decided to quickly have a go.
Would've loved to nail a pad of some sort, but somehow did not manage to do one properly, so dropped it in the end.
I believe i still have one or 2 fxs i could use to do that, but no more channel. Also did not use any EQ yet.
you should finish this into a track I'd play that out with some more bleeps and fx

ah, might do that, but i've got a few EPs to finish before i can actually start anything new.
out on DEMENT3DXXX.
http://www.opuswerk.com

Tobs
Pig

Post by Tobs »

Tobs wrote:Yo, here's my go at it:

This was such a nice experience, had lots of fun. At first i did something quite simple, then i heard all the other entries, i thought that i should try and do something nice. So i had to push myself harder and was able to do a pad, a bass and some random sounds.

great idea Matthias!
Here it is:

"needs more cowbell"

http://soundcloud.com/yassir

sigabort
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by sigabort »

Good fun this, look forward to more..... :)

http://soundcloud.com/sigabort/subsekt- ... -samples-6

A_K
Suspect Handshake

Post by A_K »

Mattias :D

Thanks for showing me the light, I can't thank you enough.

Thank you, Mattias!

Tried it again, came out different but I also made it longer.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

is this still going? awesome idea and great thread!

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Sure still going. I have a feeling it will for a while. After a while its just to make a new creative challange.

John, sticky please!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Mattias wrote:John, sticky please!
+1

what about changing the 3 Sounds monthly?
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

strawMan
skaghead

Post by strawMan »

+1

Perhaps people could put forward sounds for others to work with?

brian
slipper

Post by brian »

how about someone supply like 3 field recording samples, something like a door slamming, glass clinking or something, something that could be turned into percussion and which can also be mangled into whatever, could be interesting

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Will have to give this a go this evening.
A soundcloud group would be wicked to collect the results in one place ..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Do you know what we should do lads..

Everyone should talk a little about the techniques they used - anything of particular interest about how they approached what they did with the 3 sounds. It would be nice to share some of the learning process. If you already have - cool. If not, you aint allowed to participate in the next one hahaa.

Only joking. But if you feel like chatting a bit about it & havent yet - please do.

Was thinking - I've never really made any ambient kinda stuff. What about making something beatless. That would take me right out of my comfort zone.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Random_Task
fake

Post by Random_Task »

Here's my attempt! And tbh I've struggled a lot :( mostly because of the effects limitations. But I managed to do it with 10 effects, 6channels (each sound twice)

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

What if we all uploaded our most unique sound(s), and someone made one big track with it...
ICN wrote:Everyone should talk a little about the techniques they used - anything of particular interest about how they approached what they did with the 3 sounds.
Good one :) Maybe for those with some spare time, make a video just turning effects on and off in their project to show what it does and explain how they got there.

What I did for my distinctive sounds, was use a technique used to produce the typical distorted kickdrum used in harddance tracks.
Basically comes down to EQ -> Distort. The crazier you EQ, and the more you distort, the more unexpected the outcome will be. Endless outcomes of different types of sound. As I said this is normally used to create distorted kickdrums and effects, but here I tried to completely change the sound of the toms and use them as the distinctive part of my loop, as I mainly used the kick and hats for rhythm.
FL user - soundcloud: Ferramus

Preserve
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Preserve »

Seeing as I completely failed to finish my attempt at the Mattias remix comp, I thought I'd give this a go.

Spent about 3 or 4 hours on this experimenting with different versions of stuff and, for the most part, just listening to the loop go around and around and around... :oops:

Bondar
tense

Post by Bondar »

ICN wrote:Do you know what we should do lads..Everyone should talk a little about the techniques they used
Great idea.

My Kick is just the one supplied, run through Decapitator which was on a send. Just enough to beef it up without getting any audible distortion.

The clap is the hi-hat sample, shortened quite a bit and pitched down 2 octaves. Then I put Crystallizer on it for reverse delay. Also compressed and filtered (automated filter for some variance)

The pad is the tom sample, shortened to one oscillator cycle, filtered. I used Valhalla Ubermod for chorus on it.

The shaker sound is the hi hat with the attack lengthened. I used PhaseMistress on it to make it a bit more interesting.

The rest of the percussion you hear is the tom, high passed and tuned up one octave. Used EchoBoy for delay with a nice groove.

Also have a kick high-passed and tuned up 2 octave with Valhalla Ubermod chorus. This pattern goes along with the pitched up tom.

Sends used were Decapitator and Valhalla Room.

Some subtle compression on the master.

Looking forward for others to explain their processes!
Silencio

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Random_Task wrote:Here's my attempt! And tbh I've struggled a lot :( mostly because of the effects limitations. But I managed to do it with 10 effects, 6channels (each sound twice)

No need to ask what plug-in you used to make the synth sound in that one Jeroen! haha

That sounds cool man. I love the way you make music mate.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Preserve wrote:Seeing as I completely failed to finish my attempt at the Mattias remix comp, I thought I'd give this a go.

Spent about 3 or 4 hours on this experimenting with different versions of stuff and, for the most part, just listening to the loop go around and around and around... :oops:
Thats nice man. The thing you got going with that little reverse-y bass note is wicked. Nobody else thought of doing a delay on a sound at the start of the bar - so you get a gold star for that 8-)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

PERIAL wrote:here is something from me. I used 8 plugins but only 1x drum and 2x hihat samples. sound quality is poor, I would need to use more plugins to fix it
Man.. thats hard. Ominous as hell!

Outta those 3 shitty samples? Good work!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Tobs wrote:
Here it is:

Now - this is incredible. You got some really nice clean sounds in here Tobs. Sounds great!

Respect for getting everything sounding bang on man. Y'd never know that you started literally from nothing with what you are hearing. Great!