Behringer Neutron Experiences?

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Behringer Neutron Experiences?

Post by over9000 »

Hi Subcunters!
long time no see :(
did anyone of you buy a behringer neutron and has some experiences to share?
For that price i have serious GAS :D

RWise
durchfall
Re: Behringer Neutron Experiences?

Post by RWise »

Cant speak for the neutron but just for reference of quality, i have a Model D and the build quality / sound is amazing for the price.

From what ive heard, the neutron will be just as high in quality.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I have one on order. I missed the first batch by a couple of days so hopefully arriving in August.

First thing I have ever pre-ordered.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

timc3 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:14 am
I have one on order. I missed the first batch by a couple of days so hopefully arriving in August.

Same here. Music store predicts mid-august shipping at the moment

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah, I ordered mine from musicstore.de

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I want it.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I'm torn over this. Not sure how useful it will be in live context.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

terryfalafel wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:22 am
timc3 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:14 am

Same here. Music store predicts mid-august shipping at the moment
It arrived last night but I didn't have a chance to open it!

Should have a chance to try it tonight...

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Looks nice, though it doesn't really fit a need for me. But I am very curious about it. Definitely like what Behringer is doing lately.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Well, bad experience. I can hear the oscillators triggering when I send midi notes, but the output on main out or headphones is so quiet all I can hear is hiss and a tiny little hint of signal. Vca and vcf have no effect on the sound, so it might just be a cold solder joint or something.

Someone on gearslutz seemed.to have the same symptoms and returned his neutron for a new one. There are not hoards of.people complaining about the same issue so I guess I've just been unlucky.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

1st run blues?
As they own the all the manufacturing, their boards are supposed to be great on all their new synth gear.
There was an engineer on Reddit who stripped their new gear to look at the boards and they were in a better state than the new Moog stuff which is done at a worse plant apparently.
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

It's the same issue as this

youtu.be/zPdmjPzzshk

Seems like the signal path isn't properly normalised through the patch panel when nothing is plugged in.

Quite a few are reporting similar things on the Gearslutz thread, but plenty of people don't see any problem, so it would appear to be a manufacturing fault rather than a design fault...

Anyhow, it's a bit disappointing. This is the first synth I've bought in years which I haven't built myself, and the only one that hasn't worked at first switch on.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

@Terryfalafel - Damn sorry to hear that. Mine is currently with DHL on it's way to me.

Gunark
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Gunark »

I’ve got mine but not had too much chance to play with it as I’m moving house. I did knock out a really quick demo the first day I got it - it’s not up to much, just a demonstration - it’s also from Instagram so is mono and short.

youtu.be/5ZHnKfgUelM

The Neutron is doing the kick, bass, off beat ping, the octave lead, hat and a big baaaw sound that’s lost in the mix a bit.

I like it. Sounds quite raw with nice weighty oscillators. The delay is nice too though it isn’t ever totally silent ( that might be fixable in the patchbay). I sold my model D to get it and am happy.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

That kick has plenty of wack behind it. Nice...
I¬d probably buy this synth if I just wanted a studio tool.
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Gunark wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm
I’ve got mine but not had too much chance to play with it as I’m moving house. I did knock out a really quick demo the first day I got it - it’s not up to much, just a demonstration - it’s also from Instagram so is mono and short.

youtu.be/5ZHnKfgUelM

The Neutron is doing the kick, bass, off beat ping, the octave lead, hat and a big baaaw sound that’s lost in the mix a bit.

I like it. Sounds quite raw with nice weighty oscillators. The delay is nice too though it isn’t ever totally silent ( that might be fixable in the patchbay). I sold my model D to get it and am happy.
Sounding great! Classic sounds done well!

I agree about the kick - very meaty.

Gunark
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Gunark »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:21 pm
That kick has plenty of wack behind it. Nice...
I¬d probably buy this synth if I just wanted a studio tool.
Cheers! The secret behind that one was overdrive on the Neutron and then driving the input on my interface like on my old Mackie. I think the punch is also helped by FG Stress.

Gunark
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Gunark »

terryfalafel wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Gunark wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:14 pm

youtu.be/5ZHnKfgUelM

Sounding great! Classic sounds done well!

I agree about the kick - very meaty.
Cheers! I think married to a nice overdrive you could get some percussive dirt out of it if you treated the both badly.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Well mine appears to be working. At first I didn’t get that I had to turn up the level in the overdrive section, but I had the PDF manual downloaded - recreated the default patch and all was good. @terryfalafel - have you tried doing the same thing?

Got some decent percussion, kicks, bass and other sounds out of it easily. Need to find somewhere to put it as I am running out of space.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

timc3 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 pm
Well mine appears to be working. At first I didn’t get that I had to turn up the level in the overdrive section, but I had the PDF manual downloaded - recreated the default patch and all was good. @terryfalafel - have you tried doing the same thing?

Got some decent percussion, kicks, bass and other sounds out of it easily. Need to find somewhere to put it as I am running out of space.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Yes, when I set the synth controls to the default patch then sound comes out. Fuck knows why this wasn't working the other night; just goes to show that I shouldn't do this stuff so late in the evening. RTFM etc....

It'd be nice if they put the default patch in the quick start guide too, rather than having to download the full manual. Or include the full manual in the box...

In other news, it sounds really good!