Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Post by Lost to the Void »

UN!T B wrote:I noticed this too. There has been an increase the past couple months.
It all happened when you left, everyone breathed out and the new members flooded in.

*insert smiley appropriate to stop offence, ridicule and flame wars here*

Here is a photo of my studio

CCCCUUUUUUUNNNNNTTTTSSSSS

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:
mate, if you're whole aim is to trying to ridicule me,
then good luck to you. :roll:

my ensemble has all the same kinds of little bits of annoyance that many other people's ensembles have, and you can find quite some proof of that on the net.
you've tried to help me, I've already thanked you for that.
I even pointed out in one of my previous posts how you can most certainly give solid logic help to people, but clearly, that wasn't enough already, so :
how many times does one need to say thank you to you, really ?

"we all know how that turned out"

qué ?
Yes, how did that all turn out, really ???
Do you even know, do you even care, or is this just a handy tool for you in this discussion cause you fail to find many more appropriate reasonable tools ?
I'm not trying to ridicule you. I am trying to explain my disposition but you take my words and run off on a tangent with them coming up with all kinds of inferred meanings which aren't there. When I say "we know how that turned out..." means you said you had problems and I offered every suggestion I could think of and then days or a week later I came back with even more suggestions for you to try and it still doesn't work.... At this point I don't have any more suggestions except to buy a UAD or whatever you fancy.

In case you were wondering (of course you were not) : my ensemble is still giving me the little annoyances, which on certain days become more annoying,
but yeah, I guess it's up to me if I wanna swap it or not.
Somewhere in the future, I certainly will. No doubt about that.

stop being such a total dick, honestly.
How am I being a total dick? By replying to your posts? By being forth right in my replies. Would you respect me more if I lied to you?

"I was aware of this place from the start pretty much."
well then what, only reason you stayed was cause "Hades had ensemble trouble" ?
ow noble you, except that only started like a few months ago.
(excluding the original questions I had with the FW=>TB piece, please remember my ensemble only started to play up on me after approx. 6 months)
Guess you stayed around quite long even though you were "aware of this place from the start..."
I must have been quite the motivational factor after all that time...
I mean, you left with a lot of drama, then you even came back (and I was foolish enough to welcome you).
Nope, sorry you are giving yourself too much credit. Its not all about you. Go look at the registration date on my old acct. See how its back in 2012? I have been reading this place for much longer than I have been posting here. I started posting frequently in about Nov of '13. and then left last fall in the fall at some point. I didn't really think there was a lot of drama. I asked about shutting off my acct. I didn't think it was really that big a deal, I guess you do.
Last edited by UN!T B on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:
yes, of course you wouldn't have a clue, full of birds-eye view you are

I am not familiar with this expression. I didn't insult the guy and I have had very few interactions with him at all.

No, I am not comparing, I am saying you remind me of that situation.
Because if everyone that ever got a seamingly mean comment would start posting it in their sig, the sigs would change pretty much every day.
Notice how no one else does, sir.
That would make sigs a whole lot more fun then wouldn't it. I think its a great idea.

Like I said : extreme example.
And yes, I truely mean that : the meanest country in the middle east.
Cause let's face it, IS-"country" is not officially a country. But then, if you call their "territory" a country, then they definitely start to win.

But I don't expect that I can have an honest and serious discussion about Israel and their behaviour with you. You're probably just gonna start about my ensemble again.
I don't expect you'd actually have the knowledge of what kind of stuff Israel has been up to in the last 40-50 years.
We barely see the truth about that on the news over here, so I don't expect you guys to see any of it on your news.
All I know of that situation is what I got from spending hours and hours researching that shit on the internet.
Or watching documentaries. Just like I spent hours and hours watching stuff about WWII, so I can give you facts.
For example :
Pretty much unkown fact : there were concentration camps in France. (damn, why did they leave that out of our history books, I really wonder ! )
Fact : half of France was under their own souvereign gouvernment for most of the war, and most of the Jews that fled to that part to be "safe" they just handed over to the Germans, as a gesture of their "gratitude" or whatever excuse they want to use when someone asks them about that part of history.

Any idea of what Israel did in Libanon ? South Libanon Army for example (to name only a fairly recent example), go look it up.
Or go and whine about my ensemble.
Its your device, it makes no difference to me whether or not it works. If I've helped you, great. If not, oh well I might have wasted my time. At least I tried. Maybe the information will help somebody in the future.

Someone got my point though, he immediately said something along the lines of "well done sir".
I fail to see why I should add smilies to all this shit or continue the discussion,
but hey, by all means, if you truely have something worthwhile to add, then please do.
I have nothing to add to the discussion about the middle east. Not because I don't have an opinion on the subject nor am I uninformed about it. The fact of the matter is, that discussion no place in this thread. You are more than welcome to start a thread about it tho if you like. I will tell you now that I will not be participating in it. I have very little interest in debating politics and/or religion on the internet with anybody. I don't mind the odd conversation in person about it but beyond that... no thanks things just get too heated too fast.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hades wrote:
Though I always admire your ever mild-hearted nature John, sometimes I wish you were a little more upfront, you know ? :|
Oh dear.. Meeeeeow!!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

ICN wrote:Well.. I know things are fairly loose around here but this is all ( as a tangent ) fairly unrelated to the subject matter of this thread. I know you know what I'm saying :)

I wonder if it would be a good idea to wrap it up somehow soon? People just wanna see pics of desks with music stuff on them in here after all.. :) :) [2 smilies]
How's this?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Perfect man! All you need now are some cables ! Haha
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

dbl post.
Last edited by UN!T B on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

After Lost to the Voids studio, I figured some people are going to need some eye bleach.

I don't have any cables.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The arse was prettier.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

So my desk has been hell to work with recently. Just fucking cables everywhere. It's been killing any inspiration when i had to get down and do work. My wife graciously allowed me more floor space so i did a rearrange. The front is now totally accessible and i don't feel the need for a patchbay anymore cause it's super easy to just get up and walk around the back and patch how i feel in the moment. Of course there's always one cable that is too short so i'm just waiting for a 3m DB25 which will allow me to connect the Cirklon to the breakout box.

What can't be seen in the image is an Alessis Q25, which now sits behind the laptop, replacing the 880 bag. You'll see i only have one monitor. The other blew, but anyway, i live in an apartment and only really get to play when my daughter sleeps. Usually i listen through the monitor when playing vinyl or checking the mono mix. Else it's on the 880s. To the left of the monitor are 2 eventide boxes, the Space and Timefactor.

It's been like this for 3 days and I'm loving it. Made such a big difference for me.

Edit: sorry for bring this thread back on topic...
Attachments
IMG_9143.JPG
IMG_9143.JPG (197.59 KiB) Viewed 1588 times
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

63 pages and an on-topic post? Immediate BAN!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:If it's a punch up, I'm glad I'm on team Voidloss for this one. I've read his stories.

@Hades: time to be the bigger man and let it go. We got techno to discuss. I mean ffs you haven't told anyone you play piano for the last few days. We need to get some normality back :D
yeah, there's no point anyway, they just keep dodging the 2 main questions anyway.
And this is just eating away too much dumb energy.
I mentioned my piano in Ash's topic, it was totally his fault though, he posted a video about the craftsmanship at the Steinway "factory".
And I think I even mentioned it in some other topic while giving advice about key action to Sandor who wanted a set of keys to learn how to play.
So no worries : I'm still playing my cliché-part pretty well. ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:63 pages and an on-topic post? Immediate BAN!
indeed indeed sir !
the horror !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

helloitsmeagain wrote:So my desk has been hell to work with recently. Just fucking cables everywhere. It's been killing any inspiration when i had to get down and do work. My wife graciously allowed me more floor space so i did a rearrange. The front is now totally accessible and i don't feel the need for a patchbay anymore cause it's super easy to just get up and walk around the back and patch how i feel in the moment. Of course there's always one cable that is too short so i'm just waiting for a 3m DB25 which will allow me to connect the Cirklon to the breakout box.

What can't be seen in the image is an Alessis Q25, which now sits behind the laptop, replacing the 880 bag. You'll see i only have one monitor. The other blew, but anyway, i live in an apartment and only really get to play when my daughter sleeps. Usually i listen through the monitor when playing vinyl or checking the mono mix. Else it's on the 880s. To the left of the monitor are 2 eventide boxes, the Space and Timefactor.

It's been like this for 3 days and I'm loving it. Made such a big difference for me.

Edit: sorry for bring this thread back on topic...

I told you that desk was big. :D
You're still loving it though, right ?
If mine would break, I'd settle for the 24 one now though, it looks beautiful, but I discovered I don't really need the 32 version after working with it for a while.

Sometimes cleaning up a workspace can make such a difference in how you feel about working there.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

Yeah, i'm glad i went for the 24 channels. Less would have been a pain and more would have been overkill for my purposes. One massive gripe I have about the desk is that the outgoing Firewire ignores the fader levels and panning when recording. I did a bit of research into this and it is possible to mod it, but i know nothing about electronics and can't risk it. I'd even considered selling it because of this... it's discussed here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote- ... st10881936

Here's a quote from the thread: "A friend helped me and it took some time. Gotta have great eye sight and a steady hand to manage this mod."
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

helloitsmeagain wrote:Yeah, i'm glad i went for the 24 channels. Less would have been a pain and more would have been overkill for my purposes. One massive gripe I have about the desk is that the outgoing Firewire ignores the fader levels and panning when recording. I did a bit of research into this and it is possible to mod it, but i know nothing about electronics and can't risk it. I'd even considered selling it because of this... it's discussed here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote- ... st10881936

Here's a quote from the thread: "A friend helped me and it took some time. Gotta have great eye sight and a steady hand to manage this mod."
luckily enough not an issue for me since I only use it for its analog part.
I think I even remember reading about the FW ignoring that, doesn't it mention this in the manual somewhere,
that the FW output is almost working like a direct out ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

just briefly checked out that thread and saw the pic, that's some tiny detail work to be soldering something like that.
I'd start getting the shakes just by thinking about it. :shock:

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Just an update on my working space. Was a while ago since I posted mine.. The keyboard shifts all around the room, just what works best at that moment. Monitors are on stands and 'floating' just above the shelf on the desk.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

All these studios are so fucking tidy. My music room is an absolute pigsty.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Sick studio.