Layering when making tracks

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
ashley BORG
Small Penis
Layering when making tracks

Post by ashley BORG »

Does anyone have any tips for layering up of sounds in a track. I know there are probs very few hard and fast rules. But I find it quite difficult to judge how much to layer up on bass, percussive elements, and those used for chords, riffs, drones etc... One of my concerns is the rising volume levels of the track as more sounds are layered upon another.

I've Youtubed a few videos but it's difficult trying to translate the theory of Trance and Uplifting house to the more darker industrial style of music I'm after.

chrisso
pregnant
Re: Layering when making tracks

Post by chrisso »

I try not to layer. The best formula is to make each single sound high value. If it's not working, ditch it or find a new sound.
Having said that, I will use more than one bass, but each has a function, and they may often be playing slightly different parts, or completely different parts.
I will layer claps, and bass drums, but usually only two layers. One layer might be full bodied, the second layer adding some brighter attack. Or one layer might be clean, the second layer being distorted or mangled so I can sneak it under the main layer.
For lead synths and pads/atmos, I generally try to build the sound with one element if I can. Once I start adding two sounds playing the same lead part, or two pad sounds blended together, my music starts to sound too slick/produced.
The techno artists I like have mostly been making music with limited resources. So I don't like to get away from 4 to 5 key elements in my tracks.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Yeah that's pretty much my thought of approach. I truly believe in quality of individual sounds, however one of my mates who I use a sounding board suggested that I could do with a bit more layering. He's never been very specific about any aspect which required this remedy. Maybe it's subjective as the stuff he makes is quite complex in contrast.

However I have tried taking his advice on board, and have noticed in some instances that it works. However I'm using quite a bit of Field Recording so thing how do I go about layering that up without losing the quality of the sound I've chosen. Additionally I wonder where does layering stop.

I've seen some tutorials (not Techno) where 3 layers of the same sound and pattern are made to make a bass.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Steve touched upon the idea of thinking about how an Orchestra works in terms of EQ'ing instruments / choosing sounds that live in particular frequency ranges.

So you have your kick, then bass, then Porc.. etc.. all in different layers.

Same way with the frequencies. They correspond to notes.. C0 = 16hz C1 = 32hz C2 = 65hz etc.. So basically everything is like a big piano. Your kicks will be down at the bottom - and cymbals are up at the top with the highest notes etc..

So basically- when you are layering.. look for what freq's you need and what key you are working in. If you want to make a A minor chord sound, you might have different sounds in A, C and E.

You could just do something that simply doubles the main note, an octave lower.. or experiment with making it more chordy & complex. The same approach happens with kicks, which are essentially chords.. or anything else that you are looking to add varying timbres to.

A track is just a big fucking layer :mrgreen:

If you are not sure of what note something is - if its audio - you can use the note to freq feature in ableton's spectrum plug - but I prefer Voxengo's Span as it just seems easier to read.

Whatever you end up doing - simple is probably best cos there will be less EQ'ing. A bit of compression of the sounds will help them to gel.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

Whack it on the master.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Thanks guys, good food for thought. :)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Layering is where its at, especially for drums, I just use my ears, it either sounds good or doesn't.

If you have to eq the shit out of it then your using the wrong sounds....

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune