modulating swing in ableton

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
helloitsmeagain
athlete
modulating swing in ableton

Post by helloitsmeagain »

is it possible? i mean, besides doing it manually, is there a way to gradually introduce swing to a straight loop, and ultimately have it reach a point where things basically fall apart?
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

comunion
Alf Garnett
Re: modulating swing in ableton

Post by comunion »

maybe.. increasing the percentage (in the groove pool) in playback mode so is recorded as an automation?

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i'll check again when i'm home but i was under the impression that none of those parameters are automatable (except for maybe the global amount? maybe?)

there's a few areas of parameters in live lacking the ability to be automated.. it has annoyed me in the past

helloitsmeagain
athlete

yeah, you could be right, i had the thought on my way to work, did a google search when i got here and found nothing, so figured it wasn't as direct as that.

i know i can do it manually and record it in, but my hope was i could duplicate the modulation on different drum clips. i suppose i could do it manually and record, then try rip the groove from that, but i'm not sure it would be very successful... driving me crazy, sitting at my desk at work getting all hard about this idea that i have and I have to wait like 10 hours before i can try it out!
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

do you have max for live? i just came across this : check out the midi quantize patch... looks like it might do the trick?

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/04/13/5 ... bleton-dj/

helloitsmeagain
athlete

damn, i don't, but now i realise i want it. thanks for that... kinda.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

sooooo , you can automate the global groove quantize settings!

that could still be fine for what you want to do - as (if i'm understand you correctly) you really only need one groove file for what you want to do.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

ozias_leduc wrote:sooooo , you can automate the global groove quantize settings!

that could still be fine for what you want to do - as (if i'm understand you correctly) you really only need one groove file for what you want to do.

well, it's all theoretical right now, but in 2 hours, when i get home, i'll have a clearer idea of what i want to do. Hell, i may decide to just give up and rather go out for ice-cream.

pskept
Unfriended

Post by pskept »

you USED TO be able to automate the swing when it was positioned at the top near time sig and bmp. since its been moved i don't even touch the setting now :/

helloitsmeagain
athlete

yeah, the automation of the amount is possible, but only in relation to the master. no other values can automated.

guess the manual route is the way to go till live 10.