Group track in Ableton

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
block.punch
Sith Lord
Group track in Ableton

Post by block.punch »

So, I've grouped my drum channels as usual in Ableton. Then put an auto filter on the Group Channel itself and tried to use the filter to take out the low end on the drum channels just before a drop. Only it doesn't seem to be doing much at all.

All the individual drum channels are being sent to Group as they should be. Bit confused to be honest. Any ideas?

bkwsk
skaghead
Re: Group track in Ableton

Post by bkwsk »

Are you sure it is not working AT ALL? Have you checked with the Spectrum Analyzer? If you're maybe rolling off at 50Hz or something low like that, Auto Filter has a not-so-very-steep curve which may give you the impression that it isn't actually doing anything, but it is. What's the frequency you're rolling off?

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

I confess I'm pretty new to Ableton.
Apart from the above advice, there is a hidden wet/dry control. Maybe you have it accidentally set to 'dry'?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah - is it activated Jon :mrgreen:

Hahaha- Yeah +1 for the ineffective roll off, but I'm sure you are doing all these things anyway mate.

A puzzle
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

block.punch
Sith Lord

Post by block.punch »

Thanks for trying guys. It's definitely not the wet/dry ;)

I've tried it with both Ableton's native filter and with FabFilter Pro Q too. They both only roll off a very small amount of the total signal (either top or bottom hi or low pass). Logically I would have thought that the total signal from the drum channels has to go through the Group channel before it reaches the Master? If so, then the filter on the Group channel should work as it does on any individual channel. It seems not. It sounds like some of the signal bypasses the group and goes straight to the Master. But that sounds odd right?

Hmmm......

failed_utopia
Exampleless

Post by failed_utopia »

Got a screenshot?

block.punch
Sith Lord

Post by block.punch »

Ha ha. Just figured it out. I'm stupid sometimes.

I've just started to use Returns for some drum and synth channels processing. So I can keep a dry signal unprocessed. Anyway, so of course, the remaining unfiltered sounds I was hearing were coming from the returns. All I had to do was copy the filter plug and it's automation to the Return channel and it all worked.