TR-909 Compression

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
asi
Interact. Don't Spam.
TR-909 Compression

Post by asi »

So, I have reduced my studio down to a TR-909, SH-101, DFAM, and PC (various soft synths, etc). I have a mixer that I would like to slap some compression on, however. I do not like software compression and I want outboard compression for my 909 / 101 / DFAM. I was able to play with a friend's Overstayer Modular Channel 8755 but those are impossible to find. I do see a deal to purchase a stereo ELI Distressor (w/ British mod). The Distressor would be my second choice.

Has anyone used both the Overstayer Modular Channel and the ELI Distressor units? How do they compare? I know the Distressor can achieve distortion to some extent (on certain settings). I really wish a Modular Channel was easier to find but I think I'd be happy with the Distressor.

Any input?

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: TR-909 Compression

Post by over9000 »

just use software :D
dont see why it should be inferior

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Agree with 9000. MJUC is popular around here. The VladG Molot is a funky colouring one I like using sometimes. Or just wait for the Shadow Hills compressor to not be 300£.

The general consensus these days is that in the box emulates the sound so well that it is essentially the same. If it's the tactile feel you want, get a midi controller with pots and map them, that's how I do in Ableton :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

asi wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:56 pm
So, I have reduced my studio down to a TR-909, SH-101, DFAM, and PC (various soft synths, etc). I have a mixer that I would like to slap some compression on, however. I do not like software compression and I want outboard compression for my 909 / 101 / DFAM. I was able to play with a friend's Overstayer Modular Channel 8755 but those are impossible to find. I do see a deal to purchase a stereo ELI Distressor (w/ British mod). The Distressor would be my second choice.

Has anyone used both the Overstayer Modular Channel and the ELI Distressor units? How do they compare? I know the Distressor can achieve distortion to some extent (on certain settings). I really wish a Modular Channel was easier to find but I think I'd be happy with the Distressor.

Any input?

I have a bunch of compressors in the mastering room, mainly for clients to see flashy lights.
For production I use software, much greater control of gain stage, much finer control over saturation, usually much better separation of functions, and more useful implementation of things like gain matched output, sidechain filters, wet/dry etc.
Just get U-He Presswerk for your DAW and you`ll have everything you need. Or get the SKNote software version of the distressor, it's fantastic.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

asi
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by asi »

Ok..

Software it is, then.

I actually purchased MJUC due to your recommendation. Works great (tried it just now).

Do you feel the SKnote emulation is the best distressor emulation? I used to have a UAD Apollo and loved the Distressor plug-in. Maybe I should go back to the UAD world.

asi
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by asi »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:31 pm
asi wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:56 pm

Any input?

I have a bunch of compressors in the mastering room, mainly for clients to see flashy lights.
For production I use software, much greater control of gain stage, much finer control over saturation, usually much better separation of functions, and more useful implementation of things like gain matched output, sidechain filters, wet/dry etc.
Just get U-He Presswerk for your DAW and you`ll have everything you need. Or get the SKNote software version of the distressor, it's fantastic.
What are your opinions on the Waves SSL G-Master buss compressor? I'm weighing my option of going back into the UAD world (love their plugins) or just start building a software plugin collection of compressors (I own MJUC, which I love).

Also, while we're on the Waves tip, how about the API 2500? I've heard that's great on drums?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

asi wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:04 pm
Ok..

Software it is, then.

I actually purchased MJUC due to your recommendation. Works great (tried it just now).

Do you feel the SKnote emulation is the best distressor emulation? I used to have a UAD Apollo and loved the Distressor plug-in. Maybe I should go back to the UAD world.
I don't know if it is the best emulation.
I've seen an impressive shootout, v but it was long after I had bought the plugin. I don't tend to rate plugins based on how close they emulate something more how useful they are and how good the quality is.
The SK note Disto is fantastic and does all the things you would want it to do. It pumps like crazy, it distorts, it saturates, it sort does varimu, and it's super fast and musical.
MJUC is also very very good, I still use it on most projects on the 2bus. I do like presswerk a lot too tho, it can be anything. It's kind of like a dream compressor that can never exist in hardware...... Well.
Maybe there is one bit of hardware that can do what it does.
The SKnote Vastaso 2 hardware.
I have one on order from the 1st batch of manufacturing and will report back once I have it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.