This is the New Gear thread !

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Where's the New Gear thread ?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Oh, I did get a set Kali In8 V2`s.

So, ever since I built the mastering studio in the house, it changed the way I looked at speakers. It took me a year of demoing and trialing to find the right mastering speakers for the mastering room.

Anyway, since then I became a speaker snob and explorer. I have been through a few different setups in the music studio, looking for something that closely matches the profile of my mastering room.

For the last couple of years I have been using a 4way setup in the music room. 3 way high end hifi Elacs, with separate sub units, for a 4 way system.
This was great, and I was happy. Then I was in my local music gear warehouse (I live near both PMT main warehouse and DV247) not looking for speakers, but the guys were testing out the new Kali 3 ways. I popped my head in to listen, and was kinda blown away.
Asked the price and was even more blown away.
Got a demo set and was once again, stunned.
Bought a pair.

Amazing. Crisp and tight 3 way studio monitors at an insane price. Highly recommend them.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:22 pm
mindstuff wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:03 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:44 pm
OK scrap that. I'm not getting an LXR or Perkons.
I've come to the realisation I just don't like synthetic drums all that much, which was causing my constant indecision over a drum machine.

Fuck drums machines 😀
TBH these days all you need is good drum samples and a sampler/computer. Outbound gear for processing those sounds is money better spent IMHO.
https://samplesfrommars.com/products/tr-909-samples < these are loaded on my analog drum machine...LOL.
Ableton's operator can get you the rest. As I told you I have an LXR and it does sound good and they made improvements to the firmware but after a few days I get tired and bored of it after giving it another go. Perkons sounds the same in a lot of demos I saw and even I was excited by it. But I realized gear isn't going to give me what I want...I have to make it myself ;). BTW, you have great drums already from what I hear from your tracks!
I was flitting between perkons and LXR and to be honest I have been doing this with drum machines for about a year and a half.
I used to have a machine drum, had an analogue rhythm too.
I just finally realised that I don`t like synthetic drums. They lack the harmonic complexity I prefer overall, to get a drum machine that I will end up resampling and taking way away from what it actually sounds like. I might as well just continue to make or appropriate the samples and sample pieces I like to make my own drums. I`ve felt like I "needed" a drum machine, but realised I would never use it.
Almost, almost got a Soma Pulsar too. Same problem.
You could also build your own drum machine in modular. I remember one of your streams where you made drums with some random samples. I haven't forgotten that video :). Good luck in your search.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Regarding drum machine groove boxes there is a rather lovely SP1200 clone on Gearslutz I'm interested in if it makes it to production...

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... clone.html
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 pm

So, ever since I built the mastering studio in the house, it changed the way I looked at speakers. It took me a year of demoing and trialing to find the right mastering speakers for the mastering room.

Anyway, since then I became a speaker snob and explorer. I have been through a few different setups in the music studio, looking for something that closely matches the profile of my mastering room.

For the last couple of years I have been using a 4way setup in the music room. 3 way high end hifi Elacs, with separate sub units, for a 4 way system.
This was great, and I was happy. Then I was in my local music gear warehouse (I live near both PMT main warehouse and DV247) not looking for speakers, but the guys were testing out the new Kali 3 ways. I popped my head in to listen, and was kinda blown away.
Bought a pair.

Amazing. Crisp and tight 3 way studio monitors at an insane price. Highly recommend them.
Thanks for the tip! I'll go test them in a store soon. I need new monitors to replace the ones I just sold. Those Kalis might be just what I need.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

msl wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:58 pm
Regarding drum machine groove boxes there is a rather lovely SP1200 clone on Gearslutz I'm interested in if it makes it to production...

Cool thread! It's class reading about the technical hurdles that these guys can figure out as they are developing stuff. The end product is interesting but at the end of the day it is effectively "just" a clone (but I'm saying that lightly...)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I just got a Freqport FT-1 Freqtube for the mastering room.
Crazy bit of kit, and dare I say it has made my Thermionic Culture Vulture ME kinda redundant.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

msl wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:58 pm

There`s already the ISLA S2400 and Rossum SP1200

I did consider getting one, they sound fantastic.
Very pricey tho
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mindstuff wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:08 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:22 pm
mindstuff wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:03 am

TBH these days all you need is good drum samples and a sampler/computer. Outbound gear for processing those sounds is money better spent IMHO.
https://samplesfrommars.com/products/tr-909-samples < these are loaded on my analog drum machine...LOL.
Ableton's operator can get you the rest. As I told you I have an LXR and it does sound good and they made improvements to the firmware but after a few days I get tired and bored of it after giving it another go. Perkons sounds the same in a lot of demos I saw and even I was excited by it. But I realized gear isn't going to give me what I want...I have to make it myself ;). BTW, you have great drums already from what I hear from your tracks!
I was flitting between perkons and LXR and to be honest I have been doing this with drum machines for about a year and a half.
I used to have a machine drum, had an analogue rhythm too.
I just finally realised that I don`t like synthetic drums. They lack the harmonic complexity I prefer overall, to get a drum machine that I will end up resampling and taking way away from what it actually sounds like. I might as well just continue to make or appropriate the samples and sample pieces I like to make my own drums. I`ve felt like I "needed" a drum machine, but realised I would never use it.
Almost, almost got a Soma Pulsar too. Same problem.
You could also build your own drum machine in modular. I remember one of your streams where you made drums with some random samples. I haven't forgotten that video :). Good luck in your search.
I just can`t be assed with modular.
I`m not qualified to build my own instruments, I`d rather professionals make me an instrument, and then make music with it.
Also the workflow is too slow and fiddly for the way I work, I¬m not a knob twiddler, I get an idea and I need to get that idea coming out of the speakers as fast as possible before I lose it.
New Shit

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Very pricey tho

Aye, the ISLA for some reason doesn't attract me. Price is indeed the issue, I'm sure the GS one will NOT be cheap... but damn its sexy.

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:58 pm
Crazy bit of kit, and dare I say it has made my Thermionic Culture Vulture ME kinda redundant.
How does it compare to the Analog Heat? Similiar price point.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:13 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
It doesn`t really. They serve different purposes. Analog heat is way more versatile, and can get crazily crunchy, the EQ is adaptive for each different Sat mode, and you get LFO and Envelopes.
Freqport can get messy, depending on how you route the tubes, but it`s just one circuit paradigm x 4. It does have nice filters too. Great sound, can be configured in a few different ways.

They serve different purposes in my opinion.

I have both.
New Shit

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I just bought some new cables. They are really helpful in transforming fluctuating voltages to sound! Only thing is that they sometimes break if you accidentally put a chair on them.

8/10 would recommend getting cables

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 am
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
It doesn`t really. They serve different purposes. Analog heat is way more versatile, and can get crazily crunchy, the EQ is adaptive for each different Sat mode, and you get LFO and Envelopes.
Freqport can get messy, depending on how you route the tubes, but it`s just one circuit paradigm x 4. It does have nice filters too. Great sound, can be configured in a few different ways.

I have both.
My question was basically, if you could only afford one of them for production 2bus use, which one would you pick?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

msl wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:25 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Very pricey tho

Aye, the ISLA for some reason doesn't attract me. Price is indeed the issue, I'm sure the GS one will NOT be cheap... but damn its sexy.
Well the difference is that the Gearslugs one is not just an emulation of the original, he`s modified that 2nd DAC system and enhanced the sound.
Just checked it out properly, it`s great. Smaller form factor and an updated sound without losing the character.
The others are great clones, and it is a nice sound, but the Gearsquirts one notches it up. Very interesting.
I have a feeling the price might be painful.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:36 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 am
dubdub wrote:

I have both.
My question was basically, if you could only afford one of them for production 2bus use, which one would you pick?
Oh. hmmm, never really thought about it in that context.
I mean, the Freqport hasn`t even been in my production room, I`ve never used it for production on the 2bus, don`t intend to either.
My Analog heat however I use on the 2bus all the time, it`s probably more useful in that context. You do have to get your gain staging correct though.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Speaking of the original SP1200, it's IMO one of the few pieces of vintage gear where the reality is pretty close to the myth. I would never pay the current prices (6k-ish) of course, but still. My good friend owns one and I've used his unit. Absolutely great piece of kit. Dunno if it's of any use for modern techno kinda stuff, but for making 90's type of hip hop or house it's really good.

It's a shame about vintage prices in general though. Pretty much every piece of gear worth owning has far exceeded the price/practical usefulness ratio years ago. Only rich collectors can afford them nowadays, the people who could use them as actual music making tools usually can't.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:40 am
I have a feeling the price might be painful.
Yep you can bet on that.
Nice sound though. Guys done a good job.

youtu.be/zOPtduv05wQ

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Just got myself a nice unit from Analog Addicts. Hand made stereo tube pultec style EQ, EF86 and ECC88 gain stages. The unit I have just bought was used to master the latest prodigy album.
It`s a bit of a boutique rare piece and splashy purchase, but I`m changing my mastering setup at the moment. It will all be mojo gear OTB and Precision work ITB. Sold all my Weiss gear to pay for the new stuff, no more DS1 or EQ1.

http://www.analogue-addicts.co.uk/

Once I`ve finished putting together the new rack I will also offer services for mix tone, so you can send your mixes to me and I will run them through one or many tone boxes of your choice for some mojo in the dojo. I may also add a nice handmade 8 channel valve summing unit so I can sum stems for those who want precision mojo.
New Shit

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: This is the New Gear thread !

Post by Mslwte »

Changed the title of the thread. So it's confirmed.

Next on my list is a new audio interface. Its been on there for a few years but I lost all motivation to make any music and had to sort some financial things first. The motivation is finally returning to make music again :)

I'm holding back though. I have my eye on a MOTU 828es, but I know as soon as I buy one, they will be replaced with a newer model. I think the current model has been out for 5+ years. I'd like to get some use of the thunderbolt port on my PC and also connect up my old 2408's so I get shit loads of ins and outs. More than I'll ever really need. did think about a Focusrite scarlet but I would be limited on connectivity and would probably want to upgrade later (spend twice etc).
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Bought a pair.

Didn't you used to have Golden Ear speakers in your system? Did you switch them out for the Elacs?