This is the New Gear thread !

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
timc3
Back Bling
Re: This is the New Gear thread !

Post by timc3 »

Mslwte wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:19 pm
I'm holding back though. I have my eye on a MOTU 828es, but I know as soon as I buy one, they will be replaced with a newer model. I think the current model has been out for 5+ years. I'd like to get some use of the thunderbolt port on my PC and also connect up my old 2408's so I get shit loads of ins and outs. More than I'll ever really need. did think about a Focusrite scarlet but I would be limited on connectivity and would probably want to upgrade later (spend twice etc).
I use a MOTU 828es - I am also wondering if they will update their range soon, but it's been a good interface for me. I particularly like that I can use it without the computer turned on, and just run a synth or something through it to play around. I am using both the ADAT inputs on it as well.

Last month was a big purchasing month for me, my Alesis ION which I have had since new is in need of some repairs, but I didn't want to be without a synth without a keyboard so I bought a Waldorf Iridium keyboard which is has got a great keybed and I love the sounds I can get on it. I also ordered an ARP 2600M as the Waldorf is obviously a great modern synth but the 2600 is a 50 year old design and I have always wanted one. These two are going to keep me busy for the next few years I am sure.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Where's the New Gear thread ?

Post by Lost to the Void »

timc3 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:57 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 pm
Oh, I did get a set Kali In8 V2`s.

So, ever since I built the mastering studio in the house, it changed the way I looked at speakers. It took me a year of demoing and trialing to find the right mastering speakers for the mastering room.

Anyway, since then I became a speaker snob and explorer. I have been through a few different setups in the music studio, looking for something that closely matches the profile of my mastering room.

For the last couple of years I have been using a 4way setup in the music room. 3 way high end hifi Elacs, with separate sub units, for a 4 way system.
This was great, and I was happy. Then I was in my local music gear warehouse (I live near both PMT main warehouse and DV247) not looking for speakers, but the guys were testing out the new Kali 3 ways. I popped my head in to listen, and was kinda blown away.
Asked the price and was even more blown away.
Got a demo set and was once again, stunned.
Bought a pair.

Amazing. Crisp and tight 3 way studio monitors at an insane price. Highly recommend them.
Didn't you used to have Golden Ear speakers in your system? Did you switch them out for the Elacs?
Goldenear Triton One.R are in the mastering room.
They aren't going anywhere (although I did toy with getting some Barefoot MMs as I am switching things up in the mastering room. But last week I came to my senses and realised changing monitoring was an idiotic idea).

The music studio (I have 2 rooms, which is why you might be confused) had the 4 way system with the Elacs, and now has the Kali Audio IN8s
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 pm
They aren't going anywhere (although I did toy with getting some Barefoot MMs as I am switching things up in the mastering room. But last week I came to my senses and realised changing monitoring was an idiotic idea).

The music studio (I have 2 rooms, which is why you might be confused) had the 4 way system with the Elacs, and now has the Kali Audio IN8s
Ah, I thought you might have replaced your mastering room monitors with the Elacs - good to know that the Goldenear are still working well.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

timc3 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:55 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

Ah, I thought you might have replaced your mastering room monitors with the Elacs - good to know that the Goldenear are still working well.
If I change the Goldenears it would just be for the flagship Goldenears. But they are a touch too tall for my space.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
timc3 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 pm
Oh, I did get a set Kali In8 V2`s.

So, ever since I built the mastering studio in the house, it changed the way I looked at speakers. It took me a year of demoing and trialing to find the right mastering speakers for the mastering room.

Anyway, since then I became a speaker snob and explorer. I have been through a few different setups in the music studio, looking for something that closely matches the profile of my mastering room.

For the last couple of years I have been using a 4way setup in the music room. 3 way high end hifi Elacs, with separate sub units, for a 4 way system.
This was great, and I was happy. Then I was in my local music gear warehouse (I live near both PMT main warehouse and DV247) not looking for speakers, but the guys were testing out the new Kali 3 ways. I popped my head in to listen, and was kinda blown away.
Asked the price and was even more blown away.
Got a demo set and was once again, stunned.
Bought a pair.

Amazing. Crisp and tight 3 way studio monitors at an insane price. Highly recommend them.
Didn't you used to have Golden Ear speakers in your system? Did you switch them out for the Elacs?

Sidenote, but are you still using the Ollo headphones you posted about a while ago? I've got a bit of spare cash and thought about trying out their S5X model.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:47 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
timc3 wrote:

Sidenote, but are you still using the Ollo headphones you posted about a while ago? I've got a bit of spare cash and thought about trying out their S5X model.
I use them whenever I make music.
I actually got to try S5X, not sure they are what you will want, they are more appropriate for 5.1 and surround mixing, I got inconsistent translation to the mastering room. To be fair I was informed these weren't meant to be an improvement over the S4X but a different option for Dolby atmos mixing etc
Still a great headphone, and a really good company to deal with, they fully support right to repair and you can upgrade your headphones in-version, if they come up with improvements.
I`d recommend the S4X for standard mixing. They do offer a very gracious money back policy so you could order both S4 and S5 and return the one that works least for you.

I`m doing a big upgrade of stuff at the moment and am toying with getting some HEDD Heddphones. Not sure if I can really justify the money though, going to try to get a test pair.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:37 pm
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

I actually got to try S5X, not sure they are what you will want, they are more appropriate for 5.1 and surround mixing, I got inconsistent translation to the mastering room. To be fair I was informed these weren't meant to be an improvement over the S4X but a different option for Dolby atmos mixing etc
Still a great headphone, and a really good company to deal with, they fully support right to repair and you can upgrade your headphones in-version, if they come up with improvements.
I`d recommend the S4X for standard mixing. They do offer a very gracious money back policy so you could order both S4 and S5 and return the one that works least for you.

I`m doing a big upgrade of stuff at the moment and am toying with getting some HEDD Heddphones. Not sure if I can really justify the money though, going to try to get a test pair.
Oh, right - I had asumed the S5X were just an improved iteration of the S4X.

Will try the S4X!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:39 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:37 pm
dubdub wrote:

Oh, right - I had asumed the S5X were just an improved iteration of the S4X.

Will try the S4X!
They are still great, I guess it just depends if you gel with the target curve, there are some cosmetic and hardware improvements (the headband has changed, some people complained about the ding, it only really happens when you put them on, some people just put a little gaffa tape around the metal band to damp it, I`ve never felt the need), and I am very used to the S4X. I had the 5`s for two weeks, and using them every day I couldn`t slip into the curve change effectively to warrant any more time getting used to them, whereas the slip from my Etymotic ER4XR to the S4X was easy, and I do in fact alternate back to them on occasions where I want uber close detail, or just for a change.
Depending where you live you might be able to get a test pair.
New Shit

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

So while looking for something else I randomly came across a Boss KM60 in pristine condition for sale locally for 250€ !!!! Woman selling it so I'm guessing its maybe her husbands, ex's, etc. Been wanting one for over 15 years, they are rare and I ain't paying 800-1000 for one. I don't get lucky with gear often but I'm over the fucking moon. Just what I need right now since my big mixer is in storage since two years as I moved to a smaller apartment and scaled down. Will report back regarding THAT sound once she arrives!
Attachments
Boss KM 60.jpg
Boss KM 60.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 36000 times
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Those old Bosses are great! I used to have the same one. I wouldn't pay a 1000 for one, but for 250 it's quite nice.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Great find! I have been thinking about getting one the Feedback Modules Pre KM for a while which is a Eurorack KM channel, because I have the Pre BX and it's good.

https://feedback-modules.myshopify.com/ ... ns/modules

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Got an SPL Tube Vitalizer on order (massive delays) for the mojo rack.
Amazing bit of kit, kinda mind blowing what you can do with them.

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/tube-vitalizer/

The Mojo rack is nearly complete.
Looking to maybe get a Charter Oak PEQ-1 for the end of the rack chain, and then I think I'm done blowing out my bank account. Managed to get great deals and make smart choices, but even so, I've just sunk 10 grand into a rack of gear :shock:
New Shit

between stars
Onions

Post by between stars »

Always wanted a Tube Vitalizer. They seemed way ahead of the 'color/mojo' trend of the past years.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

between stars wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:16 pm
Always wanted a Tube Vitalizer. They seemed way ahead of the 'color/mojo' trend of the past years.
Well they go a little bit further than just colour, so yeah they were ahead. You've got some of the function of the SPL twin Tube combined with EQ and dynamic.
I have... Had...sold now, a Thermionic Culture Vulture. It was spending a session using the SPL that made me realise I needed to change..
The vitaliser has quite a lot of functionality, it has a lot of tricks for mastering, especially the way you can open up the top end. They are actually good value for money, despite being fairly expensive. Bit of a learning curve though.
I have plenty of time to experiment with it though, it's coming tuesday and I have to wait weeks for the other stuff I've ordered to get made.
I thought upgrading and changing the mastering room would take ame a few weeks, but it's taking way way longer.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

So I did end up getting a Charter Oak PEQ-1
Luckily I got one at an amazing price due to gentrification.
The infamous Soho studios were selling a bunch of gear (they are having to cut costs due to the astronomical Soho rents and business rates) and I nabbed the PEQ-1 from the mastering room at a silly price, perfect condition.

It's a sickeningly nice EQ. You can't get it to sound bad, and the 50k boost is easily the best air band function I've heard. Maag can't touch this.
It's a shame the company was so mismanaged and is now defunct. These legendary units are becoming gold dust.
New Shit

between stars
Onions

Post by between stars »

50kHz! That’s up there. What kind of Q/slope does that band have to be audible down in hearing range?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

between stars wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:47 pm
50kHz! That’s up there. What kind of Q/slope does that band have to be audible down in hearing range?
Oh it's as wide as all shit. The boost range is insane according to the schematics. But to get a decent boost at say 15-20k that 50k is boosting a crazy amount.
It's so nice though, really really smooth, not an ounce of distortion, and you get some stereo spread from it too.
It's a great EQ, you can push it to levels you just wouldn't normally do and it never gets harsh, I was going to get a Van Daal DR-MQ5 which is essentially a Sontec clone, but I'm glad I plumped for the Charter Oak. Surprised no one has done a plugin.
Maybe it's a little too boutique?
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:58 am
between stars wrote:
Oh it's as wide as all shit. The boost range is insane according to the schematics. But to get a decent boost at say 15-20k that 50k is boosting a crazy amount.
It's so nice though, really really smooth, not an ounce of distortion, and you get some stereo spread from it too.
It's a great EQ, you can push it to levels you just wouldn't normally do and it never gets harsh, I was going to get a Van Daal DR-MQ5 which is essentially a Sontec clone, but I'm glad I plumped for the Charter Oak. Surprised no one has done a plugin.
Acustica's Diamond Color EQ is at least partially based on the PEQ-1.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
between stars wrote:
Ah yeah. Just had a read of that. More of chimera than an emulation of the PEQ-1
I'd forgotten all about acustica, I abandoned them some time ago.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:31 pm
dubdub wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

Ah yeah. Just had a read of that. More of chimera than an emulation of the PEQ-1
I'd forgotten all about acustica, I abandoned them some time ago.
Why did you abandom them? I remember you being really hype about their stuff a few years ago. I guess you no longer neeed color plugins with your crazy mojo rack? :D

I just finally got around to getting an Analog Heat. Thomann had a good deal for B-stock of the MkII. I'm amazed at how seamless the Overbridge integration works. It really is like having an analog plugin. What's your fave mode for 2bus use?

Also, I'm now GASing for a Freqport, haha.