What direction are you moving in

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: What direction are you moving in

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:05 am

25 years I've been involved in Techno, I've never felt like this before.

Whereas the music I am listening to now and making has me super excited to the point where my head is exploding with possibilities, and the scene seems way more focused on the music, not the gear, not tropes, not Instagram record bag in airport gate photos.

I genuinely think I'm done with techno, it feels like a dying genre to me.
That's a bit sad. But 25 years and you'd get sick of anything tbh. Glad you found another genre to inspire you.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

msl wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

25 years I've been involved in Techno, I've never felt like this before.

Whereas the music I am listening to now and making has me super excited to the point where my head is exploding with possibilities, and the scene seems way more focused on the music, not the gear, not tropes, not Instagram record bag in airport gate photos.

I genuinely think I'm done with techno, it feels like a dying genre to me.
That's a bit sad. But 25 years and you'd get sick of anything tbh. Glad you found another genre to inspire you.
It was sad. It took me about a year to really come to terms with it. I think falling out of love with anything or anyone close to your heart is a little traumatic. And it was a love affair for sure. I've risked my own personal safety for my love of the music, in quite a few different ways.
It's like a marriage ending.

I also have a hypothesis to a go along with this.
Drum and bass used to be way bigger/more popular in Techno, then around when Neuro began it had this massive collapse and drop out of favor. Loads and loads of drum and bass producers came over to techno (along with ex dubsteppers and others) as techno rose to become The predominant dance music genre (techno is still the highest selling genre on beat port), which it still currently is.
The signs of apathy and oversaturation and emerging in Techno land now. I rode out the last one when mnml emerged out of the last death cycle of techno. But this time it seems I am ready to walk away.
My sadness is tempered by the fact I'm Slipping into an emergent subgenre, which is emerging from autonomic, halfstep, and Grey Area, which currently has a small but encouragingly growing following that feels, creatively, like a wide open, uncrowded field, and very fresh. It has possibilities to merge techno, drum and bass, and stepper genres into something new, where interesting beats are applauded rather than treated as heresy.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Lost to the Void wrote:
...where interesting beats are applauded rather than treated as heresy.
YESSSS!!!!
Something has got to give!
I've been waiting since dubstep days for something new, authentic ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

subvers^v wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:22 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
...where interesting beats are applauded rather than treated as heresy.
YESSSS!!!!
Something has got to give!
I've been waiting since dubstep days for something new, authentic ..
I think it is happening. Its a very protected thing right now, those involved are being careful not to go down the social media weekly photoshoot route, and it feels very grass roots. Conversations are centred around the music,, it has that feeling that dubstep had in the beginning (and techno had long ago) there's no fluff and shite as yet, people respect the music rather than the marketing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Sounds good. I hope it grows to the same extent as dubstep, especially before the vultures circle. Keep 'em out!

Hard to keep it tight I'd imagine but it's a reflection of the heads involved if it stays chilled.

Anyway, it sounds great. Enjoy ..

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

My direction is getting back to making music. Ive done fck all music wise for ages, but my life is in a better space now, and i've started working 4 instead of 5 days a week to make some time for it.

Although i understand that a lot of people are tired of techno, i cant help but come back to the tempo. For me techno is a bit like coffee, it makes me move... I feel like I just need beats around 120 - 135 bpm on a regular basis. There is loads to explore at 170bpm, I've been through that phase a couple of times already, not feeling getting back into it now. My personal problem with 170 bpm is that if i listen or work to this tempo, i stop feeling the 170 tempo, and it all becomes 85 in my head, and that's just too slow to keep make me move. Looking forward to Void and others exploring this tempo though.

I am just going to enjoy making some music in 2023.

TheDarkInstall
Unfriended

Post by TheDarkInstall »

I don't really have a direction. I tend to make stuff that I like, as cliche as that sounds. I am always looking to fine tune my skills, and hunt for the elusive perfect moments. I tend to nail, or improve a certain aspect of production every so often then run with that for a while. Recently it has been PsyTrance Kick/Bass combos - I spent ages generating the perfect kick and pluck bass in Serum and getting really nerdy with phase in s(M)exoscope, and when I got that done I then started banging out Psy hammers for a while.

Recently I am back on the huge techno rumble bass vibe, and mixing into MJUC, and learning Phaser-Flanger in Ableton really deeply, so am churning out that kind of thing. Led by the technology, I suppose, but always aiming for a certain feeling or darkness in the notes.

TheDarkInstall
Unfriended

Post by TheDarkInstall »

Oh yeah, I am also using Kickstart 2 / LFOTool a LOT recently to really tight up my sound. Amazing what difference getting all the tails pulled in and controlled makes to a mix.