DFAM sync problems /

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
DFAM sync problems /

Post by over9000 »

So hello boys and girls, this is a bit embarrassing, i searched the internet and theres even alot of topics on various sites about this,
BUT
i cant get the DFAM synced to ableton (masterclock) with a arturia keystep

so technically this should be no problem, keystep connected to computer with USB cable, sync mode USB on the back of the keystep

Ableton midi/link settings for the keystep:
Input: Track and Remote on
Output: Track, Sync and Remote on
Patch cable going from Keystep sync out to DFAM Adv/clock IN

but nothing happening..
i dont want any midi or fancy stuff, i just want the dfam sequencer to play when i hit play in ableton..

For over a year i did it with jsut making a sequence on the dfam, recording it into ableton, fiddle with the start point to get it right and then build the rest of the music around it, but that sux tbh

I just want th DFAM to play when i hit play in ableton so it plays along with my other stuff going on

Would really appreciate if anyone knows how this is done and could guide me through the settings quickly

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: DFAM sync problems /

Post by Críoch »

I've got a DFAM. Never hooked it up with the KSP.. Which is my master k.board. All seems OK with what you've done. Is the keystep running when you hit play in live.. and the dfam isn't? If at the end of this it isn't, you might need to check some settings in lives preferences.

If the following doesn't work.. I can try & help over next few days if needed. I think its a small thing.. the only thing you didn't mention.

I usually sync up with a Roland tr8s. It has clock out.

So initially.. make sure DAW or keystep are not playing..

This type of thing usually only works when the connections are made & THEN press 'run/stop' on the DFAM. If everything is ok, the light should come on (I think) and the seq does not run.

Press play in live or keystep & it should run.

If there is a particular step in the dfam seq that you want to begin on.. use 'advance' before you hit 'run/stop'.. and hit play in DAW or keystep.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

you might need to check some settings in lives preferences
^ check all those boxes for your KSP on both input and output maybe.

I've clocked the DFAM with both an elektron analog four (using clock out to DFAMs adv/clock input) or using a midi to cv converter (cv.ocd). Recording to Ableton was never on grid so I was reserved to simply sampling that and aligning correctly later. Make sure to have the sequencer's run/stop on and set the last step as being the active one before hitting play in ableton or your sequencer.

BTW to solve my alignment issues with Ableton I'm using a multiclock that takes an audio signal from Ableton and distributes the clock to 4 midi outputs. I connect one of those midi outputs to the cv.ocd to drive the dfam using the 16th's note clock.

The cool thing about the multiclock is it allows you to push or pull the midi so audio aligns on the grid perfectly.

Probably more than you wanted to hear but you're not alone in trying to figure out how to integrate the DFAM so...have fun ;).

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:06 am

So initially.. make sure DAW or keystep are not playing..

This type of thing usually only works when the connections are made & THEN press 'run/stop' on the DFAM. If everything is ok, the light should come on (I think) and the seq does not run.

Press play in live or keystep & it should run.

If there is a particular step in the dfam seq that you want to begin on.. use 'advance' before you hit 'run/stop'.. and hit play in DAW or keystep.
THANKSSS
that was it, i dident press play on the DFAM
i knew it was just me beeing an idiot haha
:lol: :lol: 8-)
mindstuff wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:29 am
you might need to check some settings in lives preferences
^ check all those boxes for your KSP on both input and output maybe.

I've clocked the DFAM with both an elektron analog four (using clock out to DFAMs adv/clock input) or using a midi to cv converter (cv.ocd). Recording to Ableton was never on grid so I was reserved to simply sampling that and aligning correctly later. Make sure to have the sequencer's run/stop on and set the last step as being the active one before hitting play in ableton or your sequencer.

BTW to solve my alignment issues with Ableton I'm using a multiclock that takes an audio signal from Ableton and distributes the clock to 4 midi outputs. I connect one of those midi outputs to the cv.ocd to drive the dfam using the 16th's note clock.

The cool thing about the multiclock is it allows you to push or pull the midi so audio aligns on the grid perfectly.

Probably more than you wanted to hear but you're not alone in trying to figure out how to integrate the DFAM so...have fun ;).
thx too mate

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking, ERM Multicloc, there seems no way past it.
i had so much hassle with sync and small tempo fluctuations, even when hooking something up just with midi out
its a fucking pita, i just want to make music and then for some reason the groove isent as tight as it was, for a long time i thought its an audio hallucination coming from tired ears or whatnot
Half of the time i spend in the music room goes of to fix stupid stuff and in the end the solution seems to be to buy a 500 buck sync box
pisses me off honestly

sorry for the ranting
:twisted:
lets see if it works now with the dfam but i think it will start to drift eventually too.
Though CV is better than midi in that regard i guess, plus the CPU is less involved, as its an analog signal?
dont know the maths here

so you have a little midi to cv converter between the multiclock and the dfam?
doesent the multiclock have a cv lfo out that could be used for clock sending?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Bingo!

I have a couple of expert sleepers USAMO boxes. They work great. I have the dfam being triggered by the tr8s, which is getting clock from the usamo.

Never tried using the ksp as clock. I find the combo of the drum machine and dfam a good match.. and it's cool getting the audio of both lined up together as a reference. I'm sure the erm is cool.. just need to decide what you have that can hook up directly or interface between from the computer / usamo or erm / drum machine to dfam / ks to dfam.. / dfam.

I found anything tight & short sequenced via USB, shite. Jittery as hell. Pad sounds etc.. fine.. but the usamo style solution is (for me) the difference between hit & miss. Its a genuine set, record & forget convenience that you can take for granted. Theres a thread somewhere here about the usamo & others. I had some problems setting mine up initially, but these issues evaporated once I used a balanced cable. Just in case you choose to go down that road. Worth remembering.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

so you have a little midi to cv converter between the multiclock and the dfam?
doesent the multiclock have a cv lfo out that could be used for clock sending?
Ah yes it does. Never messed with it yet. I should try it. Usually I use the cv.ocd because it can also deliver midi to cv across 2 additional channels so I can actually also send gate/note info (from Octatrack through the ERM to that midi output) over that same midi channel and run other semi modular gear. Knowing they'll all be in sync.

That was off topic of DFAM playing but glad you got it at least running now!

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:04 am
Bingo!

I have a couple of expert sleepers USAMO boxes. They work great. I have the dfam being triggered by the tr8s, which is getting clock from the usamo.

Never tried using the ksp as clock. I find the combo of the drum machine and dfam a good match.. and it's cool getting the audio of both lined up together as a reference. I'm sure the erm is cool.. just need to decide what you have that can hook up directly or interface between from the computer / usamo or erm / drum machine to dfam / ks to dfam.. / dfam.

I found anything tight & short sequenced via USB, shite. Jittery as hell. Pad sounds etc.. fine.. but the usamo style solution is (for me) the difference between hit & miss. Its a genuine set, record & forget convenience that you can take for granted. Theres a thread somewhere here about the usamo & others. I had some problems setting mine up initially, but these issues evaporated once I used a balanced cable. Just in case you choose to go down that road. Worth remembering.
Yeah i have an usamo too, need to set it up again
Used it initially for a tanzmaus and forgot a bit about it..
Ill use it for synths now too..
Or i get a multiclock, and can hook up multiple synths/drummachines
Did you ever try to chain multiple devices via midi with the usamo? Could be a hassle with the different midi channels i guess

Yeah mindstuff atleast its running now in ableton
But as you said, its never on the beat so its not a real solution like this
I tried to shift it around with small delays and that led to interesting grooves at least..
So a real clock is the only way i guess
I might take the multiclock and have the flexibility to hook up other gear too
I might get a tr8s or behri909 that could then sync the dfam after beeing clocked to ableton

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. usamo is fine with multiple midis.. just don't swamp it with 5 sequences all running simultaneously.

I wouldn't rely on the tr8s or similar getting clock from live and hoping for a tight signal to the dfam. COMPUTERS / Ableton is whack AF.. especially with USB imo. I'm lucky enough to have 2 usamos now. One for drum machines / modular.. and other for synths. I think usamo into something...into the dfam is good. Not totally aware of the erm boxes.. but if they have a cv / clock functionality, then they might be a good option as opposed to buying a drum machine unit with Alan inbult midi cv interface also.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:25 pm
Yeah.. usamo is fine with multiple midis.. just don't swamp it with 5 sequences all running simultaneously.

I wouldn't rely on the tr8s or similar getting clock from live and hoping for a tight signal to the dfam. COMPUTERS / Ableton is whack AF.. especially with USB imo. I'm lucky enough to have 2 usamos now. One for drum machines / modular.. and other for synths. I think usamo into something...into the dfam is good. Not totally aware of the erm boxes.. but if they have a cv / clock functionality, then they might be a good option as opposed to buying a drum machine unit with Alan inbult midi cv interface also.
ah cool!
yeah i also thought it like this, with some sync box between ableton and the drum machine..
So yeah then i already have everything i need, nice i just need some midi splitter then i suppose.
what do you use there?
I just have bad memories setting up the usamo with that tiny trim knob, but it then worked out eventually
The pro of the erm multiclock seems to be the better usability, 4 channels, dedicated plugin, dedicated time knobs (thats great to set up tight grooves i guess)
lets see, thx for your answers

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Sorry for the spellchecker malfunction there 😀

*as opposed to buying a drum machine unit with an inbuilt midi cv interface also

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Midi splitter..

I've got a kenton thru 5 and a midiburner thru 10.. which was great value & can recommend the quality. Supposed to have faster chips in it. Its been 100%

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

I've been clocking the DFAM to the TR8S' trigger out for about a week now and haven't noticed any problems. The TR8S is clocked to Ableton via USB. Has anyone had significant jitter/timing issues with a setup like that before?

I also may just be trying to convince myself that a dedicated box like an ERM or USAMO isn't necessary. It's probably a good investment.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'm not just saying this because I have one.. but anything like the usamo is gold. I was never happy with the tightness if drum patterns or sequenced synth lines, be they with the internal seq of the box or via a step seq etc.. from live. Always found things sounding better without live being involved.. and so much worse/ different when plugged in via midi to the computer.

Remember seeing my analog rytm bpm screen fluctuating from 130-132 or something, when it was hooked up straight via midi to live.. which made me realise I wasn't going mad began the investigation of solutions.

Don't mind 'feel' or 'groove'.. and would definitely go with my ears rather than the grid in most situations, but the bpm fluctuations/ jitter were not only visible in the audio, but could be heard & felt.

For me, its the difference between getting a fella with parkinsons to play that game where you can't touch the metal wire otherwise a buzzer will go off.. AND.. taking a Pentazemin / Diazepam a-la Metal Gear Solid to reduce hand tremors, to take a precise sniper shot. Clunky melodramatic analogy/s.. but hopefully you get my meaning.

Something.. whatever you think will suit best.. is worth getting imo.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I am using Expert Sleepers ES-3, ES-6, ES-8 and that can provide pretty good clocking out from Bitwig to the DFAM. Alternatively sometimes I use Analog Heat DinSync out to Pamela's New Workout and then in to the DFAM.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

What do you make of pamela's new workout Tim?

I'm completely rewiring my room atm (overdue).. to coincide with finally amassing the last few bits to get my modular going.

I've got a PNW and really looking forward to using it. Did you get any of the extra breakout modules with it. I got the pexp1.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Críoch wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:15 pm
What do you make of pamela's new workout Tim?

I'm completely rewiring my room atm (overdue).. to coincide with finally amassing the last few bits to get my modular going.

I've got a PNW and really looking forward to using it. Did you get any of the extra breakout modules with it. I got the pexp1.
It's fantastic, without a doubt my most used module. Even with clocks coming from somewhere else (Analog Four or Analog Heat Dinsync to Clk & Run or Expert Sleepers ES-3 to Clk & Run) I find many uses for it. Just a brilliant module that for as long as I have Eurorack I can't see ever going anywhere. It can do so much but is easy to use. And it triggers the DFAM no problem.

The only complaint I have is that the Hardware clocking device in BitWig does not work properly with it at all. Not sure why, probably Bitwig's fault but I had to use the BitWig grid to make a CV clock and Run generator and that works as it should.

This weekend was going to try and use external sequencers capable of running shorter or longer sequences with the DFAM, but got side tracked by the arrival of Mordax Data, but I presume that is something that is quite easy? Trigger in, and then CV to whatever I need.

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

I clock my DFAM (and the rest of my modular) using this method:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235953

It's the only way I could get latency compensation working in Ableton for both monitoring and recording.

I also wrote an applet for O_c Hemispheres to add reset support to the DFAM:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p3345856

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Oktagon wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:14 pm
I clock my DFAM (and the rest of my modular) using this method:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235953

It's the only way I could get latency compensation working in Ableton for both monitoring and recording.

I also wrote an applet for O_c Hemispheres to add reset support to the DFAM:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 6#p3345856

This is great. Ableton is a latency nightmare when it comes to recording external gear.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths