subsekt
Pattern Delays

Post by Lost to the Void »

Righty, I could do with help/advice.

I use pattern delay a lot.
Namely Soundtoys Echoboy.
I use the pattern delay A LOT.

But.
The pattern delay gui sucks donkey balls. Worse than that, it sucks donkey bukake.
I tolerate it because it is so useful, but setting up a pattern in that dogshit interface is a frustration to work flow I can no longer tolerate.

So does anyone have an alternative pattern delay to suggest that will save me from my misery?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SCUMM
skaghead
Re: Pattern Delays

Post by SCUMM »

Can't help you but would love to hear of alternatives too.

Would love to hear what you use it for if you don't mind sharing?

I find it very useful for coming up with wonky rolling basslines and on percussion. Would be great if you could automate the level of the individual repeats too to give a groove some movement.
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Fabfilter Timeless 3
UVI Relayer
D16 Tekturon
Chow Delaymatrix (free)

Idk if theyll do exactly what you need but these are all multitap delays with control over individual taps.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:30 pm
Fabfilter Timeless 3
UVI Relayer
D16 Tekturon
Chow Delaymatrix (free)

Idk if theyll do exactly what you need but these are all multitap delays with control over individual taps.
Holy shit. The UVI relayer is exactly what I need. Has swing in the taps too, even a comb filter. Bought it.

Spot on tip there mate.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

SCUMM wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Would love to hear what you use it for if you don't mind sharing?

I find it very useful for coming up with wonky rolling basslines and on percussion. Would be great if you could automate the level of the individual repeats too to give a groove some movement.
Drums, tumbling rolling drums with dirt and mess.
And bass textures.
New Shit

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Just when I thought I was all set with delays, you had to point me at UVI Relayer.

Let us know what you think about it.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Ooh I might invest in that at some point - the UI of echoboys is so frustrating (but it sounds good!)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

OK folks seem inquisitive as to my use use of pattern delay to create a very textural and human-feeling (in terms of feeling like the drums are played more than sequenced).

I will be doing a video where I cover this, I think it sort of counts as it's own little rhythmic paradigm where to me, a drummer from my musical beginnings, it feels like you can get very natural sounding rhythms but using unnatural sounds if you wish.

Anyway prior to that, I can link a release that demonstrates its use.
I do apologise for the self promotion but it is relevant.
Both these tunes, in fact a hell of a lot of the Catharsis stuff, the drums are probably using a pattern delay on at least one element. Sometimes all.
I really like getting a nice rolling rhythm, where the drums are overlapping through the feedback, in stereo, with shuffle so there's phase cancellation in the lows, but you mono the lows so they remain coherent you just get this nice interesting textural natural feeling volume variation and also if driven you get different frequencies being picked out.
And if you pitch the drums to a scale, and sequence them so they interact, you add to the phasing and frequency movement then leans a bias towards being harmonic.
So then you get rhythm And melody out of your drums And groove. You can of course go purposefully atonal for tension. Or switch tonal to atonal and back to flip the feel.
Throw some really dynamic compression and some reverb in there to add a smidge of space. A nice old dirty sounding reverb. Maybe a little gate.
It's a rabbit hole.

Take that above beat you've made, then turn up the regen to just on the limit of self Oscillation, and then some really hard clipping or analogue style limiting.

Resample it. Enhance the dynamics a bit, final tidy warm EQ, maybe heat it up a little more in the lows along with the dynamics.

Yeah it's very addictive.

youtu.be/41aD4ReHoyg

youtu.be/sV9YtY2ls1U
New Shit

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:46 am

a hell of a lot of the Catharsis stuff

youtu.be/41aD4ReHoyg

youtu.be/sV9YtY2ls1U
Never heard of Catharsis before but they've made a new Bandcamp sale today. Thanks for sharing these are both excellent.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:18 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:46 am

a hell of a lot of the Catharsis stuff

youtu.be/41aD4ReHoyg

youtu.be/sV9YtY2ls1U
Never heard of Catharsis before but they've made a new Bandcamp sale today. Thanks for sharing these are both excellent.
Cheers.
If you surf through that stuff there is a lot of usage of pattern delays in various ways.

Also this track is a good example, my Heretic project, so again, self referencing, but the Heretic and Catharsis projects are almost siblings, Heretic is more club oriented and melodic, but there are shared production paradigms.
The drums (including kicks and bass) in this are very much the product of pattern delays.

youtu.be/0nbbMRrjrz4
New Shit