Saturation/distortion 2021

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Saturation/distortion 2021

Post by dubdub »

What is everyone using these days?

For new stuff, I'm really liking Tone Projects Kelvin and Goodhertz Tupe. Both are incredibly flexible with automatic pre/post emphasis circuits and a variety of saturation models. Kelvin is more hifi but can get quiet meaty. Tupe just gets absolutely insane if you push the resonant ladder filter into it.

Gainstation from Acustica is really fat.

For pedal stuff I'm still liking the Audiority pedals. Good sound, great functionality.

Still using old favorites like WaveArts Tubesaturator, Soundtoys Radiator and Black Rooster Audio Vpre-73.

Otherwise I'm back to using Decapitator. Not the most sophisticated but when it works ...

Divjak
slipper
Re: Saturation/distortion 2021

Post by Divjak »

Enceladus EQ from mr. joaCHIP is incredible, sounds amazing and is useful in different situation since it is eq. Also its free :)
Otherwise I use shattered glass audio and 112 db Jaws alot.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Spectre is really nice imo
Rather subtle though
Thx for the inputs

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

I like Kush Audio Omega plugins, Sly-Fi's Kaya (for sure for low end), and AirWindows has a great plugin called Mackity. Of course there is always Decapatator. Recorded content either goes through the Analog heat or RNLA7239.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

over9000 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 pm
Spectre is really nice imo
Rather subtle though
Thx for the inputs
Oh yes, I forgot about that. Amazing tool! It can get pretty gritty, too, if you chose Diode mode and push it.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Using different Stuff from Airwindows Mackity or Drumslam, SDRR, Bitwigs 8 Bit Dist, Saturn, Camel Crusher, Repros and Serums build-ins, D16 Frontier, Sketch Casettes Input and Comp, even DMGs Swell Clipper in Limitles.
A few friends of mine a raving about Rift by minimal.audio actually.
Sometimes i bite my ass because i didnt pulled the trigger on the Elektron Analog Drive when it was on Sale for some 80 bucks before it vansihed from the market~
Im totally ITB but i played at a friend with this thing and i really liked it on Drums.
Still looking for some one Knob or simple Pedal Emulations where i dont need to fizzle around for hours to nail some nais distortion, Berserk and Saturn are terrible in that way, would prefer more different simple Distortions, slap on and see if it works.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

quite like IVGI2 from those fellas at Klanghelm. Think its free from memory too.

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

Plyphon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 pm
quite like IVGI2 from those fellas at Klanghelm. Think its free from memory too.
Thanks for the tip! I love MJUC and somehow missed this one. I'll be trying it later.

mervv

Post by mervv »

It's a bit less sophisticated than many of these, but Airwindows Mackity is really satisfying to use. Also free.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

Tritik krush
maschine saturator
ableton saturato
I always forget about mackity....
Less is not always more.

zhluq
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by zhluq »

I've been having loads of fun with Noise Engineering's Ruina (free!) https://noiseengineering.us/products/ruina
It can achieve sounds like that of old DOD pedals like the Buzz Box.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Soundtoys stuff: Radiator, Decapitator, Devil-Loc

OTB: Erica Acidbox III saturates real nice. Have that permanently on a group insert of my mixer.

Val Endrada

Post by Val Endrada »

For subtle saturation, Ableton's "Saturator" works really well, but the way it distorts at more extreme settings is mostly too harsh/digital for my taste. The "SMP drive circuit" option on Ableton's samplers and on the "Auto Filter", on the other hand, is very useful, even at extreme settings. In fact, it's arguably one of the best built in effects in Ableton.

OTB I often use different pieces of old hardware for drive/saturation. I remember seeing Mr. Voidloss dissing the old-fashioned use of old analogue mixers for saturation somewhere recently, - but I'll take the chance and mention over-driving the mic inputs on my old Tapco/Mackie 6306 mini-mixer :D

ART Tube MP mic preamps can sound great with the tube driven into distortion territory, but individual units can sound quite different from each other. Old analogue pedals can sound great driven hard, of course, although you need to be able to accept the noise as part of the deal. Driving "bucket brigade" delay pedals can result in some great bitcrunch style squashing, but it might also simply cause it to break down/malfunction.

Vermona's "Lancet" filter/distortion boxes are very good as well.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

I get that mackity is a driven mackie console, but don't you guys think it's quite difficult to get that plugin to sound nice?
Less is not always more.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Val Endrada wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:18 pm

I remember seeing Mr. Voidloss dissing the old-fashioned use of old analogue mixers for saturation somewhere recently,
Only because it`s not saturation, it`s clipping/distortion, and even then, only when it is mackies.
There`s nowt wrong with pushing an old Stratos or TC valve desk.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Val Endrada

Post by Val Endrada »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Only because it`s not saturation, it`s clipping/distortion.
hmm..

From a scientific point of view, all kinds of saturation processes would have to be defined as distortion, since they change (distort) the original wave shape of the signal. I tend to use the terms about different types of sound, I suppose, but your comment made me wonder where I draw the line.

..and it turns out it's a pretty blurry line for me: If it sounds nice, it's saturation - if it sounds gnarly, it's distortion :lol:

Is it even possible to come up with a clearer definition of what separates the two?

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

Bradley1602 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:46 pm
I get that mackity is a driven mackie console, but don't you guys think it's quite difficult to get that plugin to sound nice?
It works well as an insert on a send channel, especially when you send more than one channel to it.

there is now also an updated version with eq and a dry/wet, which should make it easier to control the mess but I haven't tried it yet

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Val Endrada wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:17 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Only because it`s not saturation, it`s clipping/distortion.
hmm..

From a scientific point of view, all kinds of saturation processes would have to be defined as distortion, since they change (distort) the original wave shape of the signal. I tend to use the terms about different types of sound, I suppose, but your comment made me wonder where I draw the line.

..and it turns out it's a pretty blurry line for me: If it sounds nice, it's saturation - if it sounds gnarly, it's distortion :lol:

Is it even possible to come up with a clearer definition of what separates the two?
Well saturation is considered traditionally to be something where harmonics are added, either odd or even, via tubes, so it is additive distortion.

And distortion, traditionally, is clipping germanium or silicon transistors. So it is subtractive distortion.

Obviously the terms are woolly now.

I like both, obviously. I wouldnt have built my murder box and slaughter machine fx units were it not for my distortion obsession.
New Shit

Val Endrada

Post by Val Endrada »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm
I like both, obviously. I wouldnt have built my murder box and slaughter machine fx units were it not for my distortion obsession.
Tried searching the forum for these boxes you mention, which brought up some interesting old threads. There really is a lot of brilliant ideas on here if you dig for a bit! Like, I had totally forgotten about "no input mixing board" techniques. Thanks.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Val Endrada wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:01 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm
Tried searching the forum for these boxes you mention, which brought up some interesting old threads. There really is a lot of brilliant ideas on here if you dig for a bit! Like, I had totally forgotten about "no input mixing board" techniques. Thanks.
I`ve actually massively modified my Slaughter Machine box now.
I added a separate daughter board that introduces a whole lot more unpredictability.
It exploits the weaknesses of certain components, and there is a lot more play with voltage starving fighting with unloading capacitors.
You get this weird strangling of the sound which "bursts" through when you hit a threshold. So you can go from a really broken up fuzz overtone sound to a really full and broad big distortion dynamically.
I might make a few more next year and sell them.
I don`t fully understand what is happening, but they work.
New Shit