Guitar amp and FX plugins like Amplitube and Amp Room

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Duffdeal
quasi-public
Guitar amp and FX plugins like Amplitube and Amp Room

Post by Duffdeal »

Recently discovered the joys of Ableton's Amp effect, it can turn a soft synth into a whole different animal. I'd like to explore some other options in this department.

I noticed a techno producer I admire using Softube's Amp Room. And it's on sale for the next few days, for €100 ish. I have the demo and flicking through the copious presets lead to a few 'fuck yeah' moments. But I'm conscious that's often the case when trying out multi FX plugins, sometimes you just happen across an FX chain that sounds great on the sound source you're using but is really something you couldn't put together in a few minutes from bog standard FX.

I also noticed there's a free version of Ik's Amplitube, which is along the same lines.

Does anyone here use these things for techno? Do you think they get you to gnarly, gritty sound places the Ableton Suite FX cannot? And any thoughts on Amp Room Vs Amplitube?

Cheers

buffered
Freestyler
Re: Guitar amp and FX plugins like Amplitube and Amp Room

Post by buffered »

i'd look into what guitar players use. especially those in metal. they can be incredibly picky about these things. There are loads of engineering forums where this is discussed.
PositiveGrid Bias and Line 6 Helix Native are worth a look.
Bias FX definatley gets gritty. Does way more than ableton amp but sometimes it's not really necessary. you get very good natural modelling of stomp boxes and amp circuitry etc

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

not sure if youre looking for only software recommendations but the wee zoom boxes (ms-50g & ms-70cdr) are by far the best bang for buck guitar sims out there

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The Ableton amp effects are made by Softube!

I like the Audiority pedal emulations.

I've triad Bias FX but it seems overkill for non-guitar production (I always use amps in parallel) and I don't really like the workflow.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Positive Bias Amp and Bias FX is top of the line.
I use it for my metal stuff.

I did list a whole bunch of amps and cabs and stuff ages back, I should probably revise it as I have updated my virtual amp and stomp ox collections.

Once I take a look I'll list em.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I like iZotope Trash 2 - Not that I am after realistic with it, just like the way it messes up sound. Also use a couple of UAD ones, though not very often, sometimes the built in Amp device in Bitwig and I have Guitar Rig installed but I can't remember the last time I opened it.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:57 pm

I did list a whole bunch of amps and cabs and stuff ages back, I should probably revise it as I have updated my virtual amp and stomp ox collections.

Would be interested in seeing an updated list...

How do you rate the Softube Amp Room stuff?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

dubdub wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:40 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Would be interested in seeing an updated list...

How do you rate the Softube Amp Room stuff?
I don`t have it, as a beta tester for softube I probably should have, but I don`t have time to test everything they are doing.

In general softube GUI`s bother me, as well as GUI load times.

At some point I will probably test them out, but I generally just follow the metal community when it comes to this stuff, and ain`t no-one talking about softube in this respect.

But it will try it.

**adendum** I did used to use the Softube metal room, but that was a few years ago and I think they have been revised since. It was kinda ok, I stopped using it as it was rather... Plastic? compared to stuff like BIAS amp and Amplitube. It`s hard to beat BIAS amp combined with BIAS FX. Dual amping with that is just so good.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.