Do you use Ableton M4L LFOs / Bitwig modulation etc. while producing?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Do you use Ableton M4L LFOs / Bitwig modulation etc. while producing?

Post by dubdub »

I'm trying to make my sound design more dynamic ... I don't feel like I use the DAW modulation capabilities of Ableton/Bitwig enough. Trying to integrate it more into the process. I feel like there's a ton of hidden potential in even basic parameters when you modulate them. Especially with envelope followers, step sequencer and more complex modulation signals.

Anyone else?

orchard
quasi-public
Re: Do you use Ableton M4L LFOs / Bitwig modulation etc. while producing?

Post by orchard »

All the time.
When trying to dial in a setting on something, if the dialling itself sounds good, then, bosh, on goes an lfo.
Simple as that.
I may get rid or back them off as the idea progresses. It’s pretty loose.

Actually, the bulk of an arrangement usually come from lfo cycles.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Unsynced slow lfos on many things here..
I tend to resample some 37 bar or whatever random length of the track to save cpu.
I use the lfo alot, but the other stuff rarely..
Any recomondations?
How do you use the envelope followers?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

over9000 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Unsynced slow lfos on many things here..
I tend to resample some 37 bar or whatever random length of the track to save cpu.
I use the lfo alot, but the other stuff rarely..
Any recomondations?
How do you use the envelope followers?
Env followers can be really interesting on delay feedback and reverb decay, for example. You can let it swell as the sound appears and then fade back, or the other way around.

You can also use them to get interesting dynamic effects on saturation/distortion.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Any type of modulation can be useful if you can scale it, flip it etc. So an envelope follower could also be linked to your lfo frequency, to give movement within movement (while you wobble your lfo with another one with a division of that tempo for an example), and you could take what dubdub says a little broader and modulate any parameter that does something interesting when you wiggle it around for a bit.

Combining these, and stacking them, flipping them (etc) is where the real fun starts, you can basically take it as far as you can actually handle :P

Though it might be best not to jump into such a rabbit hole without much of a plan, since it can get intense quite fast, and you'll also get lots of useless results. And that can be useful as well, if you see something in it and it's actually a place you can bring it into proximity of. Only thing is, when you have interdependent patching going on (essentially accounting for dynamics and the order in the chain), you gotta keep an eye on what's doing what or you'll be lost real quick.
how far do you want to go

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I use Bitwig's modulation constantly, particularly LFOs, the envelope followers occasionally. It's an integral part of using Bitwig which I have fully jumped on.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I use max 4 live LFO`s all the time. Not just the standard, there are lots o finteresting LFO`s on the max4live site
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Does anybody know of a max4live lfo, where you can edit the shape more? Like having the first part be sinoid, and the latter more like a square.

I know Lag uses something like this in reason, to make pads more rhythmically interesting

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:48 pm
Does anybody know of a max4live lfo, where you can edit the shape more? Like having the first part be sinoid, and the latter more like a square.

I know Lag uses something like this in reason, to make pads more rhythmically interesting
Have you tried Shaper? Reckon that might get close.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Yeah, the default shaper device does this. You can also find alternatives on the maxforlive.com website.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

There are some nice sequenced envelopes too on max4live, where different envelopes can be triggered in sequence, or randomised.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely check those out!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Boo!

Been messing around with M4L Octoseq (Free) for a while now. Really good 8 channel parameter modulator that lets you do odd sequence lengths / rates etc.. for each individual seq. Also allows you to modulate stuff across different tracks.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB