I think I might have to stop using headphones

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
deckaUK
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: I think I might have to stop using headphones

Post by deckaUK »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:56 pm
I dealt with this by calibrating my monitoring.
Work to same rms at same level. If I turn it up too high I know straight away as the volume dial won't be where it should.

I produce mostly in headphones. (OLLO S4X currently..... Amazing headphones). Ears tested every year and in better than average condition for my age. So you can do headphones and keep your ears safe.

Also a set of Flare calmer (I use the HD90s which are fucking amazing) will help both deal with tinnitus, and keep it away as they clean up mid range. I highly recommend them to you all, the entry level calmers are just 20 quid and can be worn under headphones (though you will provably end up wearing them more in general). Upgrade your ears!!!

The HD90's are an invaluable part of my mastering studio.

https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/hearing
Just ordered a pair of these Flare Calmers... really excited and looking forward to trying these out! thanks for the tip.

Blue Eyed Ghost
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Blue Eyed Ghost »

Hi,

I also work on headphones a lot and I started using Sonarworks Reference 4 a while ago (it is now called sound ID but it is basically the same). The plugin is an eq that corrects the frequency response of headsphones or speakers to get a more liniear response. This is helpful for mixing and as an important side effect it is less fatiguing for the ears. They offer average eq curves for a vast number of headphones and you can even buy headphones with an individual calibration for the plugin (although that is no real must have).

Cheers

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

do you guys have any recommendations for in-ear monitors? not sure if it's something for me but I'm looking for ways to lessen the impact on my ears and Void's comment on in-ears makes me think it might be an interesting option to consider.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

speen wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:18 pm
do you guys have any recommendations for in-ear monitors? not sure if it's something for me but I'm looking for ways to lessen the impact on my ears and Void's comment on in-ears makes me think it might be an interesting option to consider.
I heartily recommend Etymotic ER4XR. I`ve been using Etymotic for years, the old ER4 and now ER4XR. They wrote the book on in ear monitoring.
Not cheap, but they are pin accurate, been mixing on them for years. I`m actually probably going back to them over my OLLO S4X, just to protect my ears more.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.