Curious - anyone on here use a DAW other than Live?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
subvers^v
hunger marcher
Re: Curious - anyone on here use a DAW other than Live?

Post by subvers^v »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 pm
ozias_leduc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 am
So , despite my post above, I have purchased Bitwig

So far (very early days) I love it.

Something about Ableton's aesthetic has always troubled me, it's so ugly, uninspiring. I kinda missed Cubase's colourfulness.

BUT the thing that REALLY sold me, was you can customise Bitwig's keyboard shortcuts. This, to me, is HUGE.

The browser interface is also much much nicer than Ableton's little side bar which to me, is limited and annoying.

Bounce in place and hybrid tracks is also a fantastic workflow improvement.

SO yeah. Early days yet but I suspect this was a good idea.
Late now, but you can change abletons colour pallette, customise it or download different looks.

I generally swap the look every few months.

For the example
Discord-Ableton-Live.png
Only seeing this now about changing the colour palette. About bloody time! Such a simple thing but so useful.

Hated the default palette, it was my main UI gripe with ableton.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

How can you do this? ^^
Is it a workaround?

Edit: ok, maybe I got my hopes up there...reading it wrong. The actual pallette is locked with suckiness colours forevas...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

subvers^v wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:58 pm
How can you do this? ^^
Is it a workaround?

Edit: ok, maybe I got my hopes up there...reading it wrong. The actual pallette is locked with suckiness colours forevas...
what? You can change the pallette however you want
https://www.livethemes.co/
https://sonicbloom.net/en/how-to-create ... ing-guide/
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:04 pm
subvers^v wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:58 pm
How can you do this? ^^
Is it a workaround?

what? You can change the pallette however you want
https://www.livethemes.co/
https://sonicbloom.net/en/how-to-create ... ing-guide/

You mean skins/themes, I looked at that before.
I meant the context menu pallette that has no rhyme or reason to it. It's dreadful and locked afaik.

Would love to see this as a simple colour picker that you can pick your own colour scheme and save it.
It baffles me why it's not coded in as part of the look/feel preference options...

pottering
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by pottering »

Actually the colors in Live are not random, they are arranged as 5 qualitative palettes, each row (except the last column which is grayscale) is a palette with a different "quality".

1st remembers me of "copic" colors, 2nd is close to primary and secondary colors, 3rd looks like "pastel colors" , 4th is "unsaturated", 5th is "dark" (those are my words, not official in any way).

If you pick colors from the same row you get a pretty consistent look.

IMO it is actually better than sequential palettes, especially if you take into account Live is an audio software, not a graphic design software where dev can assume some level of knowledge from users (that assumption always blows in the dev's face though).

Plus the colors have a bearing in stuff like Push and Launchpad pad colors.

It is like picking colors for data visualization, you can't just pick colors just to "look good", they have to fit a standard of clarity of information too.

Also predictability itself actually helps. Predictable tones of yellow makes it easier to tell them apart, when it would usually be much harder to tell apart different "yellows".

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

So shit how Live has become so ubiquitous with music production. A thread about DAWs other than Live becomes a thread about Live.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don't find it shit. I can collaborate easily with other artists and it makes tutoring easier.
And I can walk in to anyone's studio and we can be up and working together in no time.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Sometimes theres a simple reason why something gets used by the majority...

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

over9000 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:25 pm
Monkey see, monkey do?

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Boiled Egg wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 pm
over9000 wrote:
Monkey see, monkey do?
Exactly

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

over9000 wrote:
Totally understand this. Happens alot. Just the childish nature in me tbh. As soon as something starts being adopted by the majority, i'm starting to look for the alternative.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

buffered wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:34 am
over9000 wrote:
Totally understand this. Happens alot. Just the childish nature in me tbh. As soon as something starts being adopted by the majority, i'm starting to look for the alternative.
It's impressive really how far it has come, helped too by improvements in technology at reasonably affordable levels ..

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Well i can just speak for my self, i dont have much time for music now and i know ableton so i use it.
I tried many other daws in the past and when i found ableton i liked it and stuck with it. I have no time to change my setup now iam happy when i can open ableton and make something.. i really have no capacity to finetune stuff or change my setup
Hence i dont care too much about colour schemes etc..
Bitwig looks really cool, but it also seems to need more work put into to use it

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

buffered wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:34 am
over9000 wrote:
It can seem somewhat petty or childish but so often do things change for the worse once this happens. Other influences begin to take effect and risks often stop being taken, usually to preserve or expand on a market position.

What is popular is often not what is innovative or interesting, especially in music as most 'casual consumers' who represent most of the mass market like what is familar, not what is challenging or differrent: Innovation occurs, a small number of people get inspired and experiment with it, most people hate it but then get used to it after a while. They then begin to immitate it but it lacks the innovation of the early adoptors.

Jambourgie
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Jambourgie »

Long time Cubase user here, Just because it's what I've always used. It drives me bloody mental sometimes, but then that might just be me and my laziness to work out how to use it properly. Even though I've been using it for about twenty years I'm still taking photos of settings with my phone etc rather than save them as a preset...

Anyway, one of the main things I like with Cubase, and I think another poster touched on it, is that it kind of allows for serendipity. I've lost count of the times I've set something up wrong and had great results by accident. It's such a beast of a program that things can be done in many ways. I get the feeling that Steinberg's target customer has in the past always been the LA super-producer working with shiny metal bands rather than UK kids making techno but this is all starting to change in the last few years, We've even got a sampler now! :)