Really high frequential bleeps

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Really high frequential bleeps

Post by Amøbe »

DISCLAIMER: I'm about to go to bed, and I don't have any examples at hand right now - these will come

One of the things I struggle a lot with, is how to go about the absolute highest frequency spectrum. There is a lot of tracks that has these sort of cold bleeps happening in the very top end, and I dig small bleeps like that a lot - but I'm also afraid to do stuff that is literally unpleasant. How do you go about small gentle bleeps in this area (it often sounds like it's rather thin waves like sines or triangles to my ears). Do you filter the sounds? Is it about turning the volume down a lot?

I feel like this end of the spectrum is often overlooked with the main focus being drums and the low end (understandably), but I would like to explore this side more, and any helpful ideas are more than appreciated <3

mervv
Jan : )
Re: Really high frequential bleeps

Post by mervv »

When making something like that I will often carefully notch it. Even if I want something that sounds quite resonant, it's a fine line between interesting and unpleasant. I think some artful smudging with chorus, phaser, etc. and then careful EQing is the way. I've used a dynamic EQ for this kind of thing a few times before as well. The envelope seems to really effect whether a high-pitch resonant sound is unpleasant or exciting, as well. Very short plucks with reverb can be nice, and sound gentler than just a longer pluck without reverb.

But I'm just assuming we're imagining the same thing. What kind of sounds are you thinking about? Have any examples?

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

just keep it simple. I'm in logic so i just use the klopfgeist plugin. It is basically the sinewave utility that powers the logic metronome. just put that through a reverb.
Otherwise just sample a sine and adjust your env before going through a reverb.
if in max for live, set up a cycle and do the same.
you want it relatively pure so introducing notches or elaborate filters can sort of degrade this in a flatening way. esp when you run it through a reverb.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I don't do bleeps, but I wanted to leave this one here :ugeek:

youtu.be/juz__Ua_3g8
:geek:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Exactly like that Root!

Also this track:

youtu.be/721tQTgNgiI

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

buffered wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:00 am
just keep it simple. I'm in logic so i just use the klopfgeist plugin. It is basically the sinewave utility that powers the logic metronome. just put that through a reverb.
Otherwise just sample a sine and adjust your env before going through a reverb.
if in max for live, set up a cycle and do the same.
you want it relatively pure so introducing notches or elaborate filters can sort of degrade this in a flatening way. esp when you run it through a reverb.
Do you use a lot of reverb when doing stuff like that? I'll try this. The sounds I'm talking about generally don't sound too filtered, which messes a bit with my head...

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

I mean there is no way around the fact you're going to be dealing with some resonant peaks its just how ear piercing are they! When mixing turn your volume up really high and turn them down till they don't hurt your ears. You'll be surprised they usually then still cut through the mix on lower volumes. I personally think triangle waves sound best. One thing I like to do is take some 16th note triggers and put a lfo on the pitch and watch bleep mania before your ears which are great for resampling. Throw some reverb on them and give them space to reverberate. Low pass them for a lofi vibe. I've heard them done lots of ways and have a particular interest in the subject myself.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

mindstuff wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:10 am
I mean there is no way around the fact you're going to be dealing with some resonant peaks its just how ear piercing are they! When mixing turn your volume up really high and turn them down till they don't hurt your ears. You'll be surprised they usually then still cut through the mix on lower volumes. I personally think triangle waves sound best. One thing I like to do is take some 16th note triggers and put a lfo on the pitch and watch bleep mania before your ears which are great for resampling. Throw some reverb on them and give them space to reverberate. Low pass them for a lofi vibe. I've heard them done lots of ways and have a particular interest in the subject myself.
So I was just thinking - oh Mindstuff uploaded a new track (feedback), it might be time for some feedback on this. Well I can start by saying it is a great track - sounds professional, and you should demo it away to some decent label! aaaaaaand then it contains the exact type of bleeps I'm talking about :D is it just triangles with some glides and reverb?

...really cool track :D