Experimentation, new ideas, avoiding tropes.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Experimentation, new ideas, avoiding tropes.

Post by Amøbe »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:25 pm
Just regarding audio rate stuff.

The autopan, on mono , non stereo setting, whatever that's called.. can do audio rate & you can make the % wet & put a few in a chain, going at different rates.
Yes! That's such a cool effect - and then an lfo afterwards that can make it go a bit up and down in tempo!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ahhha! Never thought of that. Thanks 😀
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:29 pm
I think I stole it from some blog post on ableton's page :)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Anyone have time yet to explore the new spectral stuff in Live 11?

Got some pretty unusual tones today from the spectral resonator for an interesting , complicated deep pad / sound bed.

It was kinda doing its own thing, but jumped to life when I added some resonance to the Operator synth that was feeding it.

Theres a Freq dial that makes things go really low.

KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Amøbe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:34 pm
Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:29 pm
I think I stole it from some blog post on ableton's page :)
Upcycling is acceptable & always appreciated 🙂

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Keep going on about the spectral stuff in Live 11, but:

Really nice feature in the Spectral Time plug. It has a Freeze control that you can turn on & off with a (synced or not) LFO. There's a few different wave shapes available & an attack & release. Really cool for some extra something kinda random flapping around in the background.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

This has been a good read. I've always found the sound designing stuff the most fun, i got obsessed with flangers for a bit and was putting them on everything. Atm its vocoders, nothing ground breaking but i usually like to ride a chain till i get a groove going. If all else fails, resample and put it in a drum rack or simpler, putting an arp before is cool.

Been getting back into FM8 too, trying to use ratios that are wrong and heavy on the pitch modulation to get something more interesting that just bleeps and bloops.

I don't think im doing anything extraordinary technicality-wise, music has become so disposable at this point i just want to enjoy the work itself and have a finished piece i like. My over arching focus in my head has been making the tune fun over dark or brooding or dramatic.

I also have been using architecture as a source of inspiration. Trying to make music (techno or not) that fits the building. Make desicisions based on things external to music, it can be interpretated however you like but its been a good way to clear away tropes of what should be happening or what you think should be happening.

But yeah, groove and energy are key and thats the thing i often find missing in many tracks these days.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I've been revisiting a little bit of music theory recently. Nothing heavy.. but a re-examination of what I kinda half know.

Dusted off my 'Music theory for dummies' book. Recommended.

Circle of fifths. Really cool to finally understand what the chart does. I knew what I knew, but didn't realise it was a cypher to crack what sharps are in keys using a mnemonic ( rhyme phrase based on the notes of the chart). How you work out the flats is basically by putting the sharps backwards. Go Pythagoras! Music is magic.

Put together an interesting chord pack in the ableton midi plug. They sound great & have proper musical names, unlike most of the Live ones.

https://www.subsekt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11606

Looking up tutorials on 6ths. Im not great on theory,
but they're kinda like minors .. but they have a 6th instead of a 7th. I think..0,3,6. They're a bit like a diminished too. Apparently they were considered the forbidden interval by the church for hymns.. but they do sound cool. Dramatic & tense. They're actually that classic piano interval from the silent movie era.. de-de-de-de-deeeeeh.. that 'oh no' scene where someone bad creeping up on the damsel in distress. Sounds pretty nice on a synth as it turns out.

Since I've got a wee bit of new insight, I've broken out of some familiar riff patterns etc. It's not about using chords per-se.. but more about me knowing what notes are in that key / interval.. & then having an organised approach to coming up with an idea ( as opposed to randomly getting frustrated by my own limitations & luck).

So experimentation, new ideas & avoiding tropes?

Expand a little of your knowledge of scales & the notes that are in some moody chords. They make interesting riffs on a mono synth be it in a sequencer or arp.

FM 6th interval stuff might sound interesting.. 🤔

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

Music composition for dummies is a good companion to music theory for dummies. Composition book obviously not a complete one stop never look anywhere else again book but a good encouraging stick, the pair of them.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cheers Man.. Never saw that one before. I think I saw 'Music Theory' going cheap in a random pile somewhere one day & just picked it up.

Will take a look.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:43 pm
Anyone have time yet to explore the new spectral stuff in Live 11?

Got some pretty unusual tones today from the spectral resonator for an interesting , complicated deep pad / sound bed.

It was kinda doing its own thing, but jumped to life when I added some resonance to the Operator synth that was feeding it.

Theres a Freq dial that makes things go really low.

I haven`t even installed 11 yet :oops: :oops:
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

We are all on L13 now. You're still winning re:output - so no matter :D