Whats the Melodic or Lead line on a Techno Track ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
chrisso
pregnant
Re: Whats the Melodic or Lead line on a Techno Track ?

Post by chrisso »

Thanks. Will do.

elk
Mingler

Post by elk »

don't do melodies. even my basslines are just subs played rhythmically.

kuba_rubacha
Alf Garnett

Post by kuba_rubacha »

elk wrote:don't do melodies. even my basslines are just subs played rhythmically.

DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO....THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA OF MAKING MUSIC

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

kuba_rubacha wrote:DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO....THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA OF MAKING MUSIC
Well that answers that.

kuba_rubacha has spoken :)

kuba_rubacha
Alf Garnett

Post by kuba_rubacha »

not fuckin around:-P

Undernithe
non reader

Post by Undernithe »

I only read the first page…Most people would swear that Techno doesnt really have a melody, rather than the almighty groove. Chords and such almost push techno into the deep house realm IMO. As far as chords go..guitar may have a presence in some techno out there, but its usually very manipulated from its original sound. I hear lots of piano/organ/synth chords in the less jacking stuff, but the like are used in a stab like capacity…presented as a count and/or to refresh looping or a cast over sound to begin or end transition points. Now say you take Joseph Capriati and compare him to lets say…Phase. Both use some sort of melody within a multitude of their tunes, but I feel esp in Capriati's older work 'The Gallery' he got more progressive, where as Phases new..er work 'Process 1 or 2' does progress but also declines and it has shifting drum patterns to compliment, lending an almost tribal feel to it. The point is melody can be ambient pads, bass, lead synth, fx or even altered up drums. Some producers fade it in slowly while other use it as a main point of interest. I believe specifically in Techno, groove and rhythm are the most recognized feature. I have about a metric ton of other critical points, but i hope my scattered rant can glean something for you. Cheers!

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

Well said Undernithe.

Most songs have something that stands out which creates a kind of narrative for me in place of a traditional melody or lead line. It could be filtering, changing textures as sounds interact with other sounds, a manipulated sample, percussion which appears to change but basically stays the same as it's contrasted and layered against more percussion.

Sometimes it's just the atmosphere of the song itself which gives it the attitude and a sense of purpose that I like.

I dunno tho, waffle waffle..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah let us not completely discount melody.
Techno began with melody, the Detroit sound was full of melody and soul, as was a lot of the swedish loop sound of late 90`s early 2000`s. The roots of techno have always had melody.
Once you delve into dissonance and anti-music, you are really looking more at the industrial influences.

Techno always has had a very wide range to pull from, and for me anyway, it is the difficulty to define, and the open nature of it, rather than the very narrow parameters that seem to be encroaching on techno these days, that attract me to the music.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Undernithe
non reader

Post by Undernithe »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah let us not completely discount melody.
Techno began with melody, the Detroit sound was full of melody and soul, as was a lot of the swedish loop sound of late 90`s early 2000`s. The roots of techno have always had melody.
Once you delve into dissonance and anti-music, you are really looking more at the industrial influences.

Techno always has had a very wide range to pull from, and for me anyway, it is the difficulty to define, and the open nature of it, rather than the very narrow parameters that seem to be encroaching on techno these days, that attract me to the music.

Very true, simple point.. acid techno is melodic, no? BTW did you do the remix for Guise 'Capillary' One last Gasp? Love that tune, played it out at the last VIRAL. Cheers!

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

Undernithe wrote:Very true, simple point.. acid techno is melodic, no?
Sure can be melodic but also very hard to whistle along to :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Undernithe wrote:
Very true, simple point.. acid techno is melodic, no? BTW did you do the remix for Guise 'Capillary' One last Gasp? Love that tune, played it out at the last VIRAL. Cheers!
Yes I did, cheers, I`m actually gonna get on to Mason (Guise) soon about doing some more music for Singularity.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.