Whats the Melodic or Lead line on a Techno Track ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Aline N
Chernobyl
Whats the Melodic or Lead line on a Techno Track ?

Post by Aline N »

l so i was wondering what constitutes the Melody or Lead lines on Techno Music . ? is the Chords , The Bleeps?

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Whats the Melodic or Lead line on a Techno Track ?

Post by Mslwte »

Sometimes it doesn't have one. Simple as that. It can be just down to the groove! some techno is just drums and fx

But yeah it can be the bleeps or wtf sounds
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I know Steve V has said that even when theres no "lead" as such that its important to tune the percussive hits etc.. so that there is a "melody" in the rhythm. Cant put it better than that.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Aline N
Chernobyl

Post by Aline N »

ICN wrote:I know Steve V has said that even when theres no "lead" as such that its important to tune the percussive hits etc.. so that there is a "melody" in the rhythm. Cant put it better than that.
interesting . thanks for the Reply Guys . just trying to do something less Melodic and more Beat Oriented .

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yeah in much Techno one should view the whole rhythm section / grooves as the "lead".
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Aline N
Chernobyl

Post by Aline N »

Mattias wrote:Yeah in much Techno one should view the whole rhythm section / grooves as the "lead".
awesome. thanks for the Reply. just getting my head around how to start producing some Techno . :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Aline N wrote:
Mattias wrote:Yeah in much Techno one should view the whole rhythm section / grooves as the "lead".
awesome. thanks for the Reply. just getting my head around how to start producing some Techno . :D
But also techno is not about a "method"
So much techno has been reduced to lazy pure percussive nothing-ness, it has become mundane, and therefore not techno

THIS is techno. (IMO)

Look at what is being done
Try to do something different.

(within a 4x4 structure mostly)
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

Not that I disagree, but it's hard to do something different that works unless you understand what does work, which is obviously what has been done before.
I'm saying this because I'm somewhat at the same stage as Aline.
I've spent over a year listening to as much good techno as I can lay my hands on, plus devouring interviews and video tutorials (apart from having a part time interest in techno since the 90's).
The hardest part is getting the first runs on the board, and if you are making music that sounds very different from everyone else, I think it's even harder.

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

Standing out, and doing something different is "harder"... thats part of the point and why the majority is same old same old.

"fight the good fight" and all that jazz ;)

I say stop listening to everything else, forget the videos, and get stuck in and work on your art and individualism. It's much more rewarding. Seriously, forget "what works" and focus on what works for you.

Anyroad... to focus on the original question. The melodic content of techno is whatever you want it to be. If it moves you then stick with it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Faust wrote:Standing out, and doing something different is "harder"... thats part of the point and why the majority is same old same old.

"fight the good fight" and all that jazz ;)

I say stop listening to everything else, forget the videos, and get stuck in and work on your art and individualism. It's much more rewarding. Seriously, forget "what works" and focus on what works for you.

Anyroad... to focus on the original question. The melodic content of techno is whatever you want it to be. If it moves you then stick with it.
Exactly, it is much harder, and you`ll find yourself trashing most of what you do, but in the end, it is the essence of creativity, to create.
If you want it easy and you want to fit in, go get a McJob.

Technique is important, of course, learning how to present your ideas in a way that works in technical terms, ie production, but the ideas you apply these techniques to should remain free and unrestrained.

Half the problem with techno now is people simply do it so they can be popular, they emulate rather than create, they place themselves within the restraints and expectations of what is currently the popular sound, then this "current sound" had it`s origins somewhere, with someone.

Quick results are favoured over the crafting of ones own sound.

Ideally you should just spend ages just experimenting and playing and fucking about with sound until you find sounds that feel natural to your character, and then maybe try to fit this in to some kind of framework for techno.
We are individuals and the music should reflect this.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

It's all good.
8-)

I think there are rules for every genre, and one of the biggest mistakes newbies make is think they can break the rules.
You don't hear a heavy metal album with 909 drums, you don't hear a techno track with a John Bonham drum loop. Yes, I admit, if you are genius like Miles Davis or Prince you could do both and pull it off.
Anyway, I'm just being nit-picky because i can't disagree, the goal is to develop your own sound and style, and the overall goal is to help propel music forward, evolving, not stuck in the current groove.
I've been working on my own techno for 18 months about 5 days a week, and still haven't finished anything I'm happy with, or something that's releasable.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Chrisso, you need to go out and listen to some proper techno on a good system in a nice club more often... you need to feel it, that wave of energy, the heat and sweat. You need to experience the environment its made for.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

You are ABSOLUTELY right.
I'm over 50 and live 2 hours from the nearest venue.
Still, I know you are right.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Chrisso - fucking go for it Mate.

You need to hear how the bass/kick/ etc.. sounds so seperate up loud.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

Ha,ha. I remember when I was 25, being completely freaked out when I was in a club and saw an uncomfortable looking older guy standing in the shadows.
Maybe things have changed.....

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

chrisso wrote:You are ABSOLUTELY right.
I'm over 50 and live 2 hours from the nearest venue.
Still, I know you are right.
where do you live?

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

The Hunter Valley.
(Although I'm planning to move)

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

ah interesting. i think Porc is playing in sydney this weekend! gonna see him tomorrow night in melb :)

been some great techno in this country in the past 12 months! (tommy four seven, oscar mulero, truncate, liebing)

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

Is there one source to find out about these appearances? I don't have time to trawl through RA listings every other day.
Would love to have seen Truncate and Klock/Dettmann. Totally missed them.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I think if you sign up on RA you can get a newsletter for your area Chrisso. Check it out man - might work like that. I get some for Ireland - it might be split into regions for Oz.