Tools for mixdown workflow effeciency ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Superyao95
Interact. Don't Spam.
Tools for mixdown workflow effeciency ?

Post by Superyao95 »

I recently got a PC mouse that has not only a vertical scroll wheel but a horizontal scroller too! A small addition but it does convert an action requiring 3 moves into 1. It also has 2 additional buttons which can be mapped to any action for each application on my device.

• What software or hardware tools do you use to make your mix-down workflow more efficient and how does it make life easier?

Belka
Wastedddd
Re: Tools for mixdown workflow effeciency ?

Post by Belka »

Ears and slide from track to track, need time. Never been into Consoles or Hardware Controllers...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I'd take a look at Console 1 Fader and noB control

michi
broke

Post by michi »

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

I use a launch control XL for a lot of things, including mixdowns. I use it extensively when dialing in an arrangement so it's natural to use it in the mixing stage after that. I do my best to set a lot of things by ear, and having a physical control surface helps.

At the start of the mixdown process I'll just turn all the faders down completely, close my eyes, and start to bring them back up until everything feels balanced. It sounds so simple, but I really think it improved my mixes.

Closing your eyes may be a little over-the-top, but I like it because it helps me focus on the purpose of what I'm doing -- listening critically.

After that, it's easy to assign any other device to the controller. It doesn't have the benefit of motorized faders, but generally I don't find that to be an issue. Definitely much cheaper than any of the console-controller options. It didn't radically change what I was doing, but it was a positive change in my workflow that both made it more efficient and consistently yielded better results.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

mervv wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:34 am
I use a launch control XL for a lot of things, including mixdowns. I use it extensively when dialing in an arrangement so it's natural to use it in the mixing stage after that. I do my best to set a lot of things by ear, and having a physical control surface helps.

At the start of the mixdown process I'll just turn all the faders down completely, close my eyes, and start to bring them back up until everything feels balanced. It sounds so simple, but I really think it improved my mixes.

Closing your eyes may be a little over-the-top, but I like it because it helps me focus on the purpose of what I'm doing -- listening critically.

After that, it's easy to assign any other device to the controller. It doesn't have the benefit of motorized faders, but generally I don't find that to be an issue. Definitely much cheaper than any of the console-controller options. It didn't radically change what I was doing, but it was a positive change in my workflow that both made it more efficient and consistently yielded better results.
Hello, can I ask how your using the xl for arranging?
Are you custom assigning everything or am I missing obvious workflow benefits from its standard set up?
Cheers.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg
Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

mervv

Post by mervv »

orchard wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:35 pm
mervv wrote:

Are you custom assigning everything or am I missing obvious workflow benefits from its standard set up?
Cheers.
I use it to record automation. I'll assign whatever I want to automate to knobs on the controller. Usually it's things like delay feedback, delay time, LFO depth, decay/release time, filters and resonance of various kinds, etc. I usually assign the faders to a gain utility on their respective channels and limit the range to a few db for volume automation. I leave parts of the standard set up like some of the sends, but I assign most of the controls myself.

I don't enjoy penciling in automation. "Playing" it in myself produces more musical, natural results. In conjunction with a grid controller for launching scenes, I don't have to touch the mouse or keyboard while arranging. After one or two passes, I usually have what I want. Afterwards, I might tidy-up a couple spots with the mouse & keyboard. If there are hardware synth parts, I'll record those before or after the automation.

For me, it's a faster, more enjoyable, and more successful method to use in-the-box. The time required to assign everything to the XL is like 60 seconds or less. Usually, I've been doing it along the way while writing anyway.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

mervv wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 am
orchard wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:35 pm
mervv wrote:

Cheers.
I use it to record automation. I'll assign whatever I want to automate to knobs on the controller. Usually it's things like delay feedback, delay time, LFO depth, decay/release time, filters and resonance of various kinds, etc. I usually assign the faders to a gain utility on their respective channels and limit the range to a few db for volume automation. I leave parts of the standard set up like some of the sends, but I assign most of the controls myself.

I don't enjoy penciling in automation. "Playing" it in myself produces more musical, natural results. In conjunction with a grid controller for launching scenes, I don't have to touch the mouse or keyboard while arranging. After one or two passes, I usually have what I want. Afterwards, I might tidy-up a couple spots with the mouse & keyboard. If there are hardware synth parts, I'll record those before or after the automation.

For me, it's a faster, more enjoyable, and more successful method to use in-the-box. The time required to assign everything to the XL is like 60 seconds or less. Usually, I've been doing it along the way while writing anyway.
Thank you. That’s very helpful. :)

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

mervv wrote:
Yeah closing my eyes has helped me loads during the mix phase, I usually cup my hand above my eyebrows to block out the screen and sometimes my partner will get concerned ask if i am Ok haha

Its surprising though, i use it when adding vsts or A/B-ing compressors. Its amazing how i can hear minute adjustments if im not looking at anything.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I've got an xl too. Really love it. If they came out with a bigger version, I'd buy it. Often thought about getting another.

I use it in the same way.

It's especially great for happy accidents. You have all the elements going and start turning channels on/off. Things take a different direction sometimes.. such as call / response between 2 separate tracks, or even with the same part; muting & unmuting the 'melody' to get different phrasing. Revealing glimpses of the main part, but not in a linear way. Often you'll end up cutting out parts of the phrase & what you're left with is far cooler..Less busy / cluttered.

Feel like I'm performing a dub mix sometimes 😆
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

illit_ wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:43 am

... I usually cup my hand above my eyebrows to block out the screen ...

Yummmmmm.... eyebrows in a cup 🐛🐛
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Críoch wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:56 am
I've got an xl too. Really love it. If they came out with a bigger version, I'd buy it. Often thought about getting another.

I use it in the same way.

It's especially great for happy accidents. You have all the elements going and start turning channels on/off. Things take a different direction sometimes.. such as call / response between 2 separate tracks, or even with the same part; muting & unmuting the 'melody' to get different phrasing. Revealing glimpses of the main part, but not in a linear way. Often you'll end up cutting out parts of the phrase & what you're left with is far cooler..Less busy / cluttered.

Feel like I'm performing a dub mix sometimes 😆
Nice.
Need to get mine out again as it’s been packed away since recentish house move. (Jesus, nearly two years now!)
I do remember kinda jamming with it though

mervv

Post by mervv »

It's definitely one of my pieces of equipment that's seen the most use. I use it in the studio and playing live. Had it for several years.

The squishy plastic stuff on some of the knobs is falling off. Once, a fader was bent. Bent it back, good as new. It's a remarkably sturdy and versatile piece of plastic.