Ableton Live 11 Update

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Ostbahnhof
Interact. Don't Spam.
Ableton Live 11 Update

Post by Ostbahnhof »

youtu.be/zAisG2rrH_Q

Kinda feels like a Ableton 10.5 rather than a 11th version to me. But looks pretty cool.

It's pretty clear that they focused on developing a lot of Max for Live devices for general use.

It also has a lot of features from Pro Tools aswell as Fl Studio.

Any thoughts?

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Ableton Live 11 Update

Post by Mslwte »

20% discount on live 10 and free upgrade to 11. Time for me to upgrade from 9 then.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

After getting an Elektron device (Digitone) I have to say that the ability to control probability is a seriously cool feature! Also I am very pleased to see extended possibilities with the macros!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

WTF? 11 already.....
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Ostbahnhof wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 pm
Kinda feels like a Ableton 10.5 rather than a 11th version to me
Apart from the addition of midi in Live4, not a single upgrade was truly satisfying, until L10. That was a great one for me, and I must say, from watching this clip, 11 sure looks like a lot of good fun, and some big things have been addressed (comping, macros (!!!!), follow actions,...).

I still rock a Push 1, and it's starting to show its age , so I'm more looking forward to Push 3 news.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Wow, they`ve added a load of really useful stuff, I`m on board for this. At first glance I thought nah, but this is great.
New Shit

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Some really useful stuff.
Only upgraded to 10 under a year ago. :oops:
youtu.be/vfRXy7GbknI

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

borg wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:57 pm
Ostbahnhof wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:05 pm
Kinda feels like a Ableton 10.5 rather than a 11th version to me
Apart from the addition of midi in Live4, not a single upgrade was truly satisfying, until L10. That was a great one for me, and I must say, from watching this clip, 11 sure looks like a lot of good fun, and some big things have been addressed (comping, macros (!!!!), follow actions,...).

I still rock a Push 1, and it's starting to show its age , so I'm more looking forward to Push 3 news.
People have been speculating about Push 3 for years but I doubt we'll see a Push 3 anytime soon tbh, Push2 is pretty well integrated with Live as it is at this point; for Push 3 to offer something new (and for people to ditch their §700 Push 2s) it would have to come with a pretty radical redesign of the software.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:12 pm
WTF? 11 already.....
Pretty sure they did that so they could charge for it. Seems like they need more revenue, because I would have expected this as a free 10.5 type of update.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah I thought his would be a 10.5.
This out there's actually quite a kit of new stuff.
And the upgrade is cheaper than usual.
I think I only went to 10 about a year ago, as I had a ton of projects I wanted to finish before upgrading.
Same case now. Got one more big project to finish then I'll grab this.
New Shit

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

??? I've been using Live since v1.5 in 2001, and I've had every version except v2. From v1 to v7, Live got updated every year for, I think 75€. v8 took two years, v9 a whopping four (the big rewrite?), and v10 about three. Prices have gone up though. Was it 150€ or more for the last one? Suite, that is.
Seems quite normal to me.
I realize a lot of money/effort is put in the brand "Ableton", but it does pay off. Just look at how mature Live has become.

An opposite example: I have been using the same DSP cards for twenty years now, originally produced by Creamware. Quite impressive in those days, and still so today, although native has caught up. I digress... Software updates were free in the early years, with some pay-for flagship devices, hoping for revenue from the hardware. It never really took off, Creamware got bankrupt, and luckily one original team member bought the intellectual property and started a new company (Sonic Core) that keeps the ball rolling a bit with small bug fixes every so often. If they had charged only a small sum for updates, they could have competed in the ads war against UAD and ProTools which were their only competitors in that segment, twenty years ago.
As noble as it is to only care about the quality of your product, at a correct price, with free software updates on top, you also have to let the world know about your product, and that takes money they never bothered asking for.
I'm happy. My cards still work after twenty years, the software hasn't changed in 10 years and I doubt it's ever gonna, but it just works!

Things really don't come for free.

About Push3:
Not in a hurry, just not so keen on buying a Push2 and then find out a few months later, P3 is around the corner. Happened to me with P1.
Andy

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

ohhh! The more I see, the more excited I get! Specific targets in follow actions, follow actions on scenes, probability, racks extended,...
I always found Ableton put too much effort in new stuff, rather than fine tuning existing features. How long have racks and follow actions been the same? I'm really really happy with the enhancements I've seen so far. Can't wait for the first proper v11.1!
Andy

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

This looks great. Comping.. 16 macros - excellent. Sometimes all you need is 1 extra 🤣🤣. Magic!! Imagining would be easy / nice to duplicate the recorded & comped area and adjust some of the regions to make variations / progression.

Macro Snapshots are a great idea. When I go macro, its hard to stop tweaking from the starting point & equally frustrating to go right back to zero .

Some of the instruments sound stupid to me. They're only missing a potplant & cool book that no-one has ever read a-la Instagram. Dunno. Would have also liked to see some new developments in operator or analog etc..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Yeah comping will be very helpful I think!

And I like the 16 macros. Indeed, often I wish I had just one more!

But WHERE'S THE GLOBAL MACROS!?!?! Really wish they'd properly implement that

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

If you pre order now, you won’t be charged until the release but will still only pay the discounted price.
You will also have 14 days to cancel after the release.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I'm rocking the beta. Just installed it yesterday so I haven't figured out much. I was definitely not expecting this and I'm the loop with them.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Just preordered L11 Suite upgrade from 10 Suite.

€159. 40 quid off.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Just noticed that OS 10.13 is required on Mac, and I'm still on 10.12... And my secondary machine is still Win XP, and you need Win10 for Live11. mmm
I don't really feel like going through that process at the moment. It's been so long that this computer got updated, but it keeps running nicely, hardly any garbage on the machine. Good reminder to backup, that has been too long as well.
Andy

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye! Every cloud has a silver lining. Get those ducks in a row first.

Ordinarily, if OS wasn't an issue; a computer running nicely with no major cause to change anything.. Hard to let Logic or Reason (DAW jokes not intentional) get in the way of an upgrade 🤣

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

orchard wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 pm
If you pre order now, you won’t be charged until the release but will still only pay the discounted price.
You will also have 14 days to cancel after the release.
Oh! Nice tip. Thank you!
borg wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:57 pm
Just noticed that OS 10.13 is required on Mac, and I'm still on 10.12... And my secondary machine is still Win XP, and you need Win10 for Live11. mmm
I don't really feel like going through that process at the moment. It's been so long that this computer got updated, but it keeps running nicely, hardly any garbage on the machine. Good reminder to backup, that has been too long as well.
I feel ya. I'm on 10.13, so I just scrape in. No way would I (or will I) update this machine. Especially this late in the game

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I went from 9 to 10 and I'm not sure why...
I open it, fuck about with operator and close it! 😄