mixing with a sub

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
gavisthename
leper
mixing with a sub

Post by gavisthename »

So I've just got the Yamaha hs10 sub to go with my monitors. Had it on real quiet with the sprog in bed last night and could still "feel" the bass and all the decays of the kicks and notes as low as C-2!!!

WELL IMPRESSED!

how many of you guys mix with a sub? I've read a few threads that give pros and cons .... What's your thoughts

One thread post summed it up beautifully I thought "you wouldn't try mixing a flute part with just a subwoofer" :D

brian
slipper
Re: mixing with a sub

Post by brian »

was seriously thinking of going with that yamaha sub a few weeks ago, as i had a set of yamaha hs50's but wanted more low end, bought 2 krk 8's instead which came to the same price of that yamaha sub

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

I used to own a pair of rokit 8s, but sold them because they were too big for room and didn't sound very good because of the bad acoustics. I got the Yamaha hs50 monitors as I thought they were more practical,. They sound amazing and are really flat monitors. The bass end is definitely missing though and becaue I have since improved the acoustics in my room I went for the sub .... So glad I did!!!

brian
slipper

Post by brian »

i use my monitors for both priducing and djing, so didnt think the sub would be practicle for djing, few people (on here and else where) recommended avoiding using subs, for djing anway, so just went with some nice bassy monitors, very happy with them

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

Yeah can't take anything away from the rokits. When I sold them I took them into work and set them up so the buyer could listen to them. The room in work was bigger with suspended foam tiles ... They sounded awesome! Was very tempted to call the deal off!!!

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

When I eventually get something resembling a proper studio I'll think about a sub. Right now the neighbour's already complained about the bass from my 8" monitors, dread to think what a sub might do...

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

disparate wrote:When I eventually get something resembling a proper studio I'll think about a sub. Right now the neighbour's already complained about the bass from my 8" monitors, dread to think what a sub might do...
Its a constant battle ... neighbours | wives/gfs | sleeping children!

When you add acoustics to your setup it might help stop some of them persistent bass waves hitting your neighbours lug holes! :roll: