Ableton Racks!

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
melkvor
fake
Ableton Racks!

Post by melkvor »

I'm having a big admin week this week. One of these projects will be to go through my Ableton projects and pull together my most used racks and effects for easy access and use in the future. What are your most used racks? Post some pics up 'ere!

melkvor
fake
Re: Ableton Racks!

Post by melkvor »

Making some breakfast now, but will post some stuff up after. In the meantime, I use a lot of this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10155&p=144593&hili ... ck#p144593

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

I did a bit of those last Friday bc I had a short amount of time and didn't feel super creative.

I did a few audio effect racks for kicks, I am generally always using something like:

Waves CLA Mixhub or SSL Channel Strip > Eventide Ultra Channel
Which is basically EQ boosting the sub, sculpting out some mid, and the occasional high boost into omnipressor, a bit more EQ, and then a tiny bit of compression

TheDarkInstall
Unfriended

Post by TheDarkInstall »

Does anyone have any good racks for extreme vocal effects?

I am always playing with stuff like vocoder and pitching stuff down, but never get the high quality results I want. When I compare it to pro stuff, the vocal effects I make always sound a bit too aggressive and not powerful and deep.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

For vocal effects, I tend to reach for the Eventide stuff

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

the guy asks about ableton racks and you reply about Eventide stuff.. makes sense really

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Yerp!

My mistake.

Ableton has a thing called an audio effect rack where you can save multiple effects in a chain (built in effects, VST, or external effects). I interpreted that as his meaning, not strictly Ableton effects.

So: my response was - I don’t use Ableton effects for vocal weirdness, I reach for Eventide.

Just to keep it legit :)
It I were to do it all internal: I would be creating a chain of Haas delay. pitch shifting, multiple delays as a starting point.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I never saw the point in using racks in live. If I've got an idea I try to find out what fx chain will be best for it and with pre-saved fx chains I only would feel restricted. I mean, yes, if you want to achieve the same thing over and over, I see the point for saving your best fx chains, but are there any other cases I don't see?
:geek:

riley_gein
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by riley_gein »

I find myself repeating certain things often so chains become important. I make full use of all the macro knobs to let me tweak parameters to change up the sound.

A rack that I made with stock Ableton 10 plugins to push elements backwards/forwards in a mix.

Quick rundown is eq’ing out some of the highs and using a fairly diffused reverb with a high cut wash things out the high end and mimic the acoustics of how we hear things when they are further away. This reverb is set to fully wet. On a second chain I have just the raw signal.

For macros I have Diffuse level, Decay Time, gain for the reverb chain and a Dry/Wet on the raw signal which is hooked to the level of the chain.

chrome-metronome
Unartful

Post by chrome-metronome »

Root wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:31 am
I never saw the point in using racks in live. If I've got an idea I try to find out what fx chain will be best for it and with pre-saved fx chains I only would feel restricted. I mean, yes, if you want to achieve the same thing over and over, I see the point for saving your best fx chains, but are there any other cases I don't see?
If you treat Ableton's effects like modules instead of standalone effects, you can start to get pretty close to really characterful plugins, like Waves etc. It's just about ordering the chain and managing the signal path. In that sense having pre-made chains makes a lot of sense to me.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

I'll usually start off a new channel with a Satson Channel, either Satson CM (free, restricted CM version) or mvMeter2 and finally Utility (beware: calibrate your meters. Satson and mv differ 1 dB, for instance. the M4L patches of kirkwoodwest has a different working...)
I rack this up, assign the gain of Utility to Macro 8, this Utility will always be last in the chain and is used to set a basic mix level, keeping the channel fader at 0 dB and use the fader only for jamming and final automation. Then I add fx and processors in between Satson and the meter, always watching levels along the way, maybe adding even another meter wherever it's needed.
I hardly ever save finished racks, as they are specific to the track for me.
The only other saved rack I have is: Kick2, Utility, Satson channel, EQ8, Utility with the LoCut of EQ8 assigned to macro1 (Satson's doesn't go far enough up the spectrum for some uses, to me).
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...