Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
SigEnt
will fuck for food
Re: Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Post by SigEnt »

Mslwte wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:00 pm
Resurrecting an old thread here..

Thought i would post in here as there is lots of good information.

i came across the below videos on youtube and went on a tangent and moved a few thing around in my room and tweaked my set up. thought people would find these useful. If you already know this process it will be quite basic but it was good to go over old ground and refresh my memory.

youtu.be/yrHBCCQT3gs
Thanks for posting these, I'm due to move house in the next few weeks and I'll have a dedicated room for my music stuff. I do plan to put some sort sound treatment in (on a modest budget) one I hit google i quickly got lost in the all details and science of room acoustic pretty quickly and started loosing track of what i wanted to achieve (and the will to live a bit)..

This video has cleared stuff up for me and I'm happy to approach treatment of my room with my £500 budget, cheers fella.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Almost finished our master bedroom renovation, then I can start thinking about the studio - which has kept me pushing on.Hopefully will be finished by Christmas.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

What sort of mic are you using James?

Software free? Ok

Mic? Seems like a lot of moolah for a one time fix.. but then again, suppose it may have to be done several.times.

Edit: Top 10 mics from Thomann. Cheap ones seem perfectly fine. Guess the Key here is getting an Omni.
Screenshot_20200828_105724.jpg
Screenshot_20200828_105724.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 896 times
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Críoch wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:32 am
What sort of mic are you using James?

Software free? Ok

Mic? Seems like a lot of moolah for a one time fix.. but then again, suppose it may have to be done several.times.

Edit: Top 10 mics from Thomann. Cheap ones seem perfectly fine. Guess the Key here is getting an Omni.

Screenshot_20200828_105724.jpg
I just used the mics on my tascam recorder for now. So not an omni mic. I'm planning on getting a mic because I think its handy to have one as the studio is always evolving and they are relatively inexpensive. Im not sure what the calibration process of the omni mics is, but if they are calibrated to a national standard then there shouldn't be much difference between the cheapest and the most expensive. But tbh the behringer price suggests to me that their calibration is done by themselves in house so who knows what the conditions are.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye, was reading up & some people swear by the Behringer, others giving out about calibration & distortion in highs. Audiophile guys.

Yet on the other hand.. lots of people are using them as drum overhead mics. Some have said build quality was dodgy, had to send one back.. but replacement was great. Hard to beat the price though!!

Those other ones.. superlux. Super luxurious, obviously. Decent sale price too.. 😄

Tascam.. that's a good idea. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Edit: will link that other thread in here ..

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11336

____
____
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Críoch wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:04 am
Those other ones... superlux. Super luxurious, obviously.
Obviously! 😄 Almost sells itself! ..

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

Mslwte wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:46 am

I just used the mics on my tascam recorder for now. So not an omni mic. I'm planning on getting a mic because I think its handy to have one as the studio is always evolving and they are relatively inexpensive. Im not sure what the calibration process of the omni mics is, but if they are calibrated to a national standard then there shouldn't be much difference between the cheapest and the most expensive. But tbh the behringer price suggests to me that their calibration is done by themselves in house so who knows what the conditions are.
Behringer is fine for this, I bought one of those recently and the build quality is fine. It doesn't come with an individual calibration file, but you can find one on the net. It seems there can be differences between different microphones of the same type, but for this purpose I don't believe the amount of distortion is going to affect your measuring results significantly.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Superlux user here.. I've got no experience to compare with, but to me it did a really good job. I measured like 30 different monitor positions behind my desk and chose the best then, what brought a huge improvement. In the end you wanna do A/B mesurements to compare and as long as you do them with the same setup, it won't be a big problem, I guess.
:geek: