DRUMMER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER - MOOG

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: DRUMMER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER - MOOG

Post by Críoch »

Sounds great man. Are all sounds from the dfam?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Críoch wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:38 am
Sounds great man. Are all sounds from the dfam?
Thanks! Not all. I had a drone track on the analog four and a kick and hihat samples on digitakt. The dfam is doing that melody along with the noise oscillator and run through erica synth zen delay. Its a wild machine.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

How are people enjoying their Dfamz?

I've been experimenting with it recently. Opened it up & adjusted the 2 tiny pots for the triangle waves, making them into saws. The squares are ok.. but it sounds completely different, more synthy with the dual saws. Lovely with the filter.

Got a baby8 step seq also.. which I've been experimenting with on the dfam. 2 things have been great:

1. Clocking the dfam to a drum machine. Running 7 steps ,or an odd number, from the baby8, unsynced.. into the vcos of the dfam. The dfam seq pitch is running.. but has a random, poly vibe with the baby 8 randomn. The dfam was really bouncing in a way I hadn't heard before.

2. Clocking the dfam with a drum machine. Sending clock out from some random out from the dfam to the baby8 clock in. Tried vco out I think & pitch. Anyway, got this mad stepped lfo kinda thing going on. Baby8 lights were having a fit. Sent cv from baby 8 back into the dfam.. prob into a decay or pitch. Can't recall.. but after tweaking the dfam pitch pots & on the baby8.. they were interacting & the sound went from a stigmata techno record with the filter down, to a 70s funk bass riff, with the filter up. Mad.

Takes a bit of time to get something sounding nice, but its easy to go back & forth between the seq & dfam. It's nice having some constant clock going in somewhere to keep some sort of time.. but the dfam sounded fucking demented ONLY being clocked by random pitches (A trick you can do patching the dfam pitch into its own tempo). Crazy synth when let off the leash. Definitely a record & tweak machine for later goldmining.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

I love it so far. I came up with alot of crazy synth lines in no time, many times being the bassline of a finished track.
I still havent clocked it to ableton, i would either need that mafd thingy but its expansive or a midi keyboard/audio interface with cv..
So i always make the sequence first and then put the audio into ableton , a bit messy
One good trick for crazy leads/ bleepy stuff is to have a dfam pattern recorded as audio and put a lowpass on it. Then assign a freerunning lfo to the cutoff and maybe one to reso. In this way you can get nice grooves going in your track, without it beeing a obvious coherent synth line. This works best with busy patterns as the freerunning lfo on the filter slowly emmitts other hits of the sequence.
I will definitely keep that synth, it sounds so great :)
Usability is not perfect, but who cares if you can get great sounds out of it

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

The DFAM can handle anything you throw at it as a trigger input iirc, though it's probably best to check the manual before doing shit like that just to be safe.

You could also use some unused channel of a drummachine, or even any free output on your interface, and as a bonus you can also throw sequences into the clock input directly.
how far do you want to go

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I just got one this week. It sounds like I wish the Elektron Analog Four would have sounded, and it's much more fun. Analog Four is relegated to CV sequencing, some minor FX sound design and sometimes as a poly.

Started doing tracks with it almost immediately.
Críoch wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:34 pm
Got a baby8 step seq also.. which I've been experimenting with on the dfam. 2 things have been great:

1. Clocking the dfam to a drum machine. Running 7 steps ,or an odd number, from the baby8, unsynced.. into the vcos of the dfam. The dfam seq pitch is running.. but has a random, poly vibe with the baby 8 randomn. The dfam was really bouncing in a way I hadn't heard before.

2. Clocking the dfam with a drum machine. Sending clock out from some random out from the dfam to the baby8 clock in. Tried vco out I think & pitch. Anyway, got this mad stepped lfo kinda thing going on. Baby8 lights were having a fit. Sent cv from baby 8 back into the dfam.. prob into a decay or pitch. Can't recall.. but after tweaking the dfam pitch pots & on the baby8.. they were interacting & the sound went from a stigmata techno record with the filter down, to a 70s funk bass riff, with the filter up. Mad.

Takes a bit of time to get something sounding nice, but its easy to go back & forth between the seq & dfam. It's nice having some constant clock going in somewhere to keep some sort of time.. but the dfam sounded fucking demented ONLY being clocked by random pitches (A trick you can do patching the dfam pitch into its own tempo). Crazy synth when let off the leash. Definitely a record & tweak machine for later goldmining.
Going to have to get one of those baby8 step sequencers - but I have been sending in external modulation from a doepfer A-155/A-154/A-151 combination, and 4MS PEG. Really gets some interesting additionals to the modulation over time that way.

Brilliant little box. Why doesn't it have an on-off switch though?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Certainly there's something that makes the lights / clock come on. It's marked on/off.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Críoch wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:35 am
Certainly there's something that makes the lights / clock come on. It's marked on/off.
Have fun searching :lol:

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Nice alamy tatoo there

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah, I like keeping those tidied away. Probably not going to be a problem in the future as I will have proper power distribution setup on switches. But still..

I might inline a switch in the PSU power cord.

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Still loving it. Something about sequencing notes off a grid that lends to some really amazing melodies. I also love the FM on it. You can have your first Osc start a groove then layer over the second oscillator for a top layer. I also love the speed of the envelope...so apt a machine for techno. I'm now triggering it from an octatrack using an CV.OCD midi to cv converter.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah the FM is great, one of the best features of it. I like sending in a sequence to the FM amount as well.