Macca
durchfall
Re: I'm totally unable to design kick/sub with headphones

Post by Macca »

P0607r0n wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm
Macca wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:27 am
I might be wrong, but I think that purely making music/mixing in headphones takes a lot of practise and you’d still need to hear them on monitors. (I believe you don’t get correct stereo imaging in headphones)

What I tend to do is make the majority on the monitors, and use headphones to listen to the low end and do any precise eq stuff. Then test in the car, and slowly have a mental breakdown realising it sucks 😂
I could never understand the whole "Test your Mix in your car" Thing, arent cars usually over bassy little cages?

Anyways... Doing better stereo imaging took me some time while working with the headphones ( scared to put things more on the sides, because it feels like its really extreme) but it's starting to work for me, but to be able to nail down that sub I think is more crucial for dance music.
You’re probably right man, I do it because it’s probably where I listen to music the most and I’m quite accustomed to how they sound, I can also tell straight away in my car if I have overdone the bass if everything starts booming.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

You’re probably right man, I do it because it’s probably where I listen to music the most and I’m quite accustomed to how they sound, I can also tell straight away in my car if I have overdone the bass if everything starts booming.
This.
I got pair of Samsung in ears that I usually use for cassaual listening/sketching ideas on laptop. I know how other people stuff sound and I know they're slightly bassy, and they roll off high-end slightly. But I've been using them for so long, that I'm perfectly confident making stuff just on them until final mixdown. This is when 701s come into play, they are really like x-ray through mix, everything is crystal clear and transparent, I can hear details and dynamics more pronounced.

From my perspective, once you know what and why your doing, combined with understanding of you listening device used during the process, yields much more better results then looking for "perfect" pair of cans or monitors.

But what do I know, I might be just high on those painkillers I just took 😀

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Fourty Two wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

This.
I got pair of Samsung in ears that I usually use for cassaual listening/sketching ideas on laptop. I know how other people stuff sound and I know they're slightly bassy, and they roll off high-end slightly. But I've been using them for so long, that I'm perfectly confident making stuff just on them until final mixdown. This is when 701s come into play, they are really like x-ray through mix, everything is crystal clear and transparent, I can hear details and dynamics more pronounced.

From my perspective, once you know what and why your doing, combined with understanding of you listening device used during the process, yields much more better results then looking for "perfect" pair of cans or monitors.

But what do I know, I might be just high on those painkillers I just took 😀
It's not one or the other it's both.
Having the knowledge and knowhow combined with the tools that allow you to work to a standard.
Give me 10 mins of cross referencing and I can turn out a reasonable mix on anything.
But if I am in my mastering room then my results will be to a high standard.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

P0607r0n wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm
I could never understand the whole "Test your Mix in your car" Thing, arent cars usually over bassy little cages?
The original idea was to test on as many different systems as possible, as these often represent how music is listened to by the end consumer - in the car, on a crappy little stereo or a big boom box, an mp3 player etc. plus they can also highlight little things that you might have missed while mixing. Over time people seem to mention just the car, which can help but wouldn't be as useful on it's own.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.