---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Huck Farper
Alf Garnett
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by Huck Farper »

RNLA better than an RNC for that application?

nice simple but powerful setup

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Quick tip to use the rytms fx send and overbridge.

Setup all the voices in overbridge and disable the voices from the master output. Now route the stereo master out to your soundcard and you've got the whole machine multitracked.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Huck Farper wrote:RNLA better than an RNC for that application?

Rnla has a better tone, well a tone I prefer, and moves in a more pleasing way for the whole mix, IMHO. It feels like feedback compression.
RNC is more channel or recording appropriate to my sensibilities.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Huck Farper wrote:RNLA better than an RNC for that application?

Rnla has a better tone, well a tone I prefer, and moves in a more pleasing way for the whole mix, IMHO. It feels like feedback compression.
RNC is more channel or recording appropriate to my sensibilities.

Ah, thanks.

I found an RNC a bit boring on the master but did the trick.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Has anyone used their A4 i unison mode yet?
Ginna give it a go 2morro. All 4 voices on 1 part. 8osc phatness.
Is it manageable or too big and smeary?
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Never tried it before. Have to say my a4 and i havent clicked yet like the rytm did.

I think i simply have to give it some more love and parameter lock the fuck out of it.

Its sounds a bit okay-ish.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

It's the other way round here. Still loving the A4 more than the RYTM. But I'd never separate them,they are best mates.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Maybe its aumply because im more percussion minded.

Kind of had the same in ableton come to think of it. But then its wasnt so much apart.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'm percussion minded too. I'm a drummer first and foremost.
Octa does my drums live though.

A4 does percussion too. It's worth downloading some presets to work out some of the routing possibilities. You can get nice fm drums out of it as well as your blah blah analog kicks and snares and so on.
I had to download some preset banks to give me an idea of the synth power with the routings lfo's etc, once I did it sold me. It can get pretty thick and gnarly as a synth. The update with the sub osc that can run on 5ths was a little bit of genius.
New Shit

Gunark
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Gunark »

Just about done with Elektron and Overbridge. Have been using my A4 and RYTM as sound modules via OB (yes. I'm a terrible person) but recent updates have made it glitch at best, lock up my system at worst. Really Overbridge has never worked right or been rock solid for me, so for sale they will both go. Sad but I did try.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Lost to the Void wrote:I'm percussion minded too. I'm a drummer first and foremost.
Octa does my drums live though.

A4 does percussion too. It's worth downloading some presets to work out some of the routing possibilities. You can get nice fm drums out of it as well as your blah blah analog kicks and snares and so on.
I had to download some preset banks to give me an idea of the synth power with the routings lfo's etc, once I did it sold me. It can get pretty thick and gnarly as a synth. The update with the sub osc that can run on 5ths was a little bit of genius.

Maybe i should give that a try. I have to admit i didnt dive in fully but i certainly went deep enough to get a feel.

Maybe as you said a few preset packs(and go from there) will show me a bit more of A4 goodness.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Gunark wrote:Just about done with Elektron and Overbridge. Have been using my A4 and RYTM as sound modules via OB (yes. I'm a terrible person) but recent updates have made it glitch at best, lock up my system at worst. Really Overbridge has never worked right or been rock solid for me, so for sale they will both go. Sad but I did try.
I don't have ANY problems with overbridge. Rock solid over here. Might be your system?

And if you use these boxes as sound modules you definitely don't deserve them and you should sell them asap. 8-)
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

No problems here either, might beas simple as your OS version man. If your overbridge version doenst match with elektrons OS its pretty much useless and full of glitches and noise.

Gunark
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Gunark »

Yeah all up to date on both, OB uninstalled and reinstalled. Machines both direct into the iMac. Maybe it's a conflict with my Clarett Thunderbolt interface, its really the only thing change since last using them heavily. Considering a Tanzbar to replace the RYTMs analogueness and couple of Boutiques polychained for the A4's Rolandness to get me where I need to go, I probably under use them anyway as I don't play live and I don't use the sequencers, the filthy heretic that I am.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Gunark wrote:Just about done with Elektron and Overbridge. Have been using my A4 and RYTM as sound modules via OB (yes. I'm a terrible person) but recent updates have made it glitch at best, lock up my system at worst. Really Overbridge has never worked right or been rock solid for me, so for sale they will both go. Sad but I did try.

Welcome to the forum Mr-most depressing first post ever. We look forward to further joy you will bring to the forum.
New Shit

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

I have just read this thread the whole way through and own an Analogue Keys. I am curious if the drums on the Rytm are comparable to those on the AK, specifically the bass drums, as I find the bass drums in the AK that are preset are lovely and rich and smash the speakers as required. I own a TR8 and find myself currently using the AK for the bass drum and the TR8 for the rest.

As for the sound of the AK, it has so many options that I think there isn't one big sweet spot like a Juno (so I'm lead to believe there is on those), but instead lots and lots of sweet spots and opportunities for creating interesting sounds - it strikes me as being a box where the limitations are what you can conceive and rarely points you in one direction in the same way that box with more character would insist you go. I feel like you make each AK your own instrument after you create your own patches, kits and performance configurations.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Dussle wrote:I have just read this thread the whole way through and own an Analogue Keys. I am curious if the drums on the Rytm are comparable to those on the AK, specifically the bass drums, as I find the bass drums in the AK that are preset are lovely and rich and smash the speakers as required. I own a TR8 and find myself currently using the AK for the bass drum and the TR8 for the rest.

As for the sound of the AK, it has so many options that I think there isn't one big sweet spot like a Juno (so I'm lead to believe there is on those), but instead lots and lots of sweet spots and opportunities for creating interesting sounds - it strikes me as being a box where the limitations are what you can conceive and rarely points you in one direction in the same way that box with more character would insist you go. I feel like you make each AK your own instrument after you create your own patches, kits and performance configurations.
I've only really started heavily using my A4 these last few weeks.
I'm spending ever working day split half and half between the mastering room and the production room, I'm doing some tours this autumn and the A4 is at the heart of the live setup so I feel I really need to know it well.
So I am 3 weeks in of spending 4 hours a day with the live kit, and so far the A4 is proving to have a lot more depth than I expected.
Nice phat birmingham style percussive synthiness, big chunky basslines, epic haunting leads, squelches, weird organic stuff.
Just started trying out some tracks with just the Octa for drums and the A4 in unison mode for some 90's brum style riff led mess, and its really phat and punchy as fuck when you run it like that.
Got so say I'm only getting more impressed with it.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Fuck why havent i clicked with mine(yet).

Maybe I need to find the spark in its percussive nature like you said earlier Steve.

Guess its simply back to the manual and let the rytm be as it is for a while.

We'll see

b0n0b0
Poo Fingers

Post by b0n0b0 »

I've spent the last few days trying to sort out a live PA setup (purely for fun) with a small eurorack and machine drum, I've run a trigger out of the MD into the eurorack for clock, then got two inputs going back into the MD RAM R machines, using cue1 so I can mix in the signal, then a RAM R machine next to each one to grab loops when I want/need so I can switch up the eurorack and mix something else in over the recorded loop, before I drop the loop or mash it up and rinse repeat. Along with the filters, some CTR machines and using MD percussion its pretty mind blowing.

I'm still shit at it, but there is some serious potential there and its a hell of a lot of fun!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Nice little partner for the octatrack
http://ag-kw.de/product/oktakontrol/
New Shit