Recommended Sample Packs

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: Recommended Sample Packs

Post by msl »

I fucking love rhythmic impulse responses, logic comes with a bunch, great for experimenting and adding subtle movement to parts. Wasn't aware Diego Stocco had made a collection them... hum might have to try them out.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:I fucking love rhythmic impulse responses, logic comes with a bunch, great for experimenting and adding subtle movement to parts. Wasn't aware Diego Stocco had made a collection them... hum might have to try them out.

can you give me a basic explanation of how this works exactly and what they do ?
I know the idea of impulse responses for reverb, but what's the idea with rhythmic impulse responses and how can they be abused exactly ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

msl wrote:I fucking love rhythmic impulse responses, logic comes with a bunch, great for experimenting and adding subtle movement to parts. Wasn't aware Diego Stocco had made a collection them... hum might have to try them out.

You should! I bought the bunch well worth the dosh!
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:

can you give me a basic explanation of how this works exactly and what they do ?
I know the idea of impulse responses for reverb, but what's the idea with rhythmic impulse responses and how can they be abused exactly ?
The idea is that convolution isn't a process specific to reverb, but most impulse responses just happen to be of reverberating spaces. So you can take any audio and use it as an input to a convolution reverb and kind of get an almost vocoder-like behaviour where the source audio plays through the IR sound. It's a technique I've been using a lot for quite a while as a sound design tool, but the Diego Stocco IR's are fantastic and I mainly use them now.

I kinda hoped they would be a bit of a secret weapon, but it seems all you fuckers know about them :lol:

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

That's because techno is a big circle jerk. It gets posted on Facebook, twitter, attack mag, Xlr8tor, fact, resident advisor, beatoffport and the rest of the schlock that pretends to be underground.....

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Tell us how you really feel .... LoL

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Hades wrote:can you give me a basic explanation of how this works exactly and what they do ?
Well Planar explained it well. Think rhythmic reverb, with time based elements in it, so you get delay artefacts in your reverb tails. Obviously you need the impulse's to be in the same tempo if you want it perfect, but slightly off stuff can be great too.

Try these two I found on the internet, just load them up and try them on percussion or a drum loop.

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/b0 ... 936/4e2336

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

oddmyth wrote:Not even close to true. There are a tonne of great sound designers out there doing some amazing stuff daily. To think that everything in this world worth creating has already been created is one of the great follies of life.

Just take Diego Stocco for example

alright... maybe I went a bit overboard on that claim :roll: ... must have been the mood I was in... It's not like I think that everything ever has been done... obviously that is ludicrous.

I think I just got fed up with the email ads from Beat-OFF-port (BandoftheHand), and SoundsToSample. It's like everyday they are coming out with zillions of 12$ samplepacks and construction kits... and I just had this "moment of clarity" where I felt I saw this large group of people being targeted by Sample production companies... companies that appeared atm to prey upon the ignorant and vulnerable... "Wow man... if I just buy the latest samplepack, I will be successful"... as if it "all" was just a big capitalistic-cluster fuck-business venture.

I feel somewhat embarrassed to have allowed myself to have appeared that ignorant concerning the topic...

Goldbaby, Wave Alchemy, Mattias, and one's self... should be enough for anyone to be on their way with drums...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

https://soundcloud.com/nasa some space field recs downloadable

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

qb748t394 wrote: alright... maybe I went a bit overboard on that claim :roll: ... must have been the mood I was in... It's not like I think that everything ever has been done... obviously that is ludicrous.

I think I just got fed up with the email ads from Beat-OFF-port (BandoftheHand), and SoundsToSample. It's like everyday they are coming out with zillions of 12$ samplepacks and construction kits... and I just had this "moment of clarity" where I felt I saw this large group of people being targeted by Sample production companies... companies that appeared atm to prey upon the ignorant and vulnerable... "Wow man... if I just buy the latest samplepack, I will be successful"... as if it "all" was just a big capitalistic-cluster fuck-business venture.

I feel somewhat embarrassed to have allowed myself to have appeared that ignorant concerning the topic...

Goldbaby, Wave Alchemy, Mattias, and one's self... should be enough for anyone to be on their way with drums...
I'll be honest I don't even pretend to understand the desire or need to work against the 'big capitalistic-cluster fuck-business venture'. It's working every day, everywhere around us. Of course every company is going to try and up-play their product, but the truth is every company does it simply by putting it out there, especially in this day and age where 'search' is king, if you found Diego Stocco, then his method of advertising is working. Moreover if you found him and you don't feel like he's pushing a product in your face, then it's working even better - for him.

We are all susceptible to the things we want to be susceptible to, nothing more, nothing less. To think that capitalism or commercial products or 'pretending to be underground' is the enemy is the downfall, either you want to make music for just the enjoyment of it, or because you need to make money off it in order to continue making music, either way, if you sell that music you are a capitalist and, you are engaging in commercial production of music and, thus are 'pretending to be underground' - it doesn't matter if you made that music specifically to sell music or simply because you enjoy music.

I dunno about you, but I choose what appears in my inbox, if I don't like it, I'm free to unsubscribe, this is the golden age of consumerism, so much choice, so much configurability, so little lock in.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Planar wrote:
I kinda hoped they would be a bit of a secret weapon, but it seems all you fuckers know about them :lol:
This is one of my main ingredients for my Consoless project. Hehe
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

qb748t394 wrote:
oddmyth wrote:I think I just got fed up with the email ads from Beat-OFF-port (BandoftheHand), and SoundsToSample. It's like everyday they are coming out with zillions of 12$ samplepacks and construction kits...

Its true its fucking ridiculous, I get about one email a day. WTF. And its all cause producers can't make money any more selling music so all lash out these sample packs. Obviously its all the shit they don't consider good enough for their own productions. Why the fuck everyone wants to sound like everyone else is beyond me.

Two really cool sample packs by small independent guys are Loops de la Crème, leftfield stuff, and the packs from the old Deep In Dub label/website, excellent jazzier house samples.

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

msl wrote:
qb748t394 wrote:
oddmyth wrote:I think I just got fed up with the email ads from Beat-OFF-port (BandoftheHand), and SoundsToSample. It's like everyday they are coming out with zillions of 12$ samplepacks and construction kits...

Its true its fucking ridiculous, I get about one email a day. WTF. And its all cause producers can't make money any more selling music so all lash out these sample packs. Obviously its all the shit they don't consider good enough for their own productions. Why the fuck everyone wants to sound like everyone else is beyond me.

Two really cool sample packs by small independent guys are Loops de la Crème, leftfield stuff, and the packs from the old Deep In Dub label/website, excellent jazzier house samples.

thank you MSL... I mean right?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:
Obviously its all the shit they don't consider good enough for their own productions.
To be honest, I think that's automatically the case for 99% of the sample packs.
Don't people always keep the best for themselves ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:
Hades wrote:

The idea is that convolution isn't a process specific to reverb, but most impulse responses just happen to be of reverberating spaces. So you can take any audio and use it as an input to a convolution reverb and kind of get an almost vocoder-like behaviour where the source audio plays through the IR sound. It's a technique I've been using a lot for quite a while as a sound design tool, but the Diego Stocco IR's are fantastic and I mainly use them now.

thx for the info, will buy them this weekend and see how they go with some of my clips.

I've always loved Stocco's work. extremely creative sound designer.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Hades wrote:
msl wrote:
Obviously its all the shit they don't consider good enough for their own productions.
To be honest, I think that's automatically the case for 99% of the sample packs.
Or it's sounds you've already used and gotten tired of? Or perhaps you just enjoy creating sample packs?
Plenty of reasons to create sample packs

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oddmyth wrote:
Hades wrote:
Or it's sounds you've already used and gotten tired of? Or perhaps you just enjoy creating sample packs?
Plenty of reasons to create sample packs
Well if it's sounds they've already gotten tired of, it's not exactly promising, is it ?

I believe people like Diego Stocco or Eric Persing just love creating sounds.
God knows they've been doing it for ages (definitely Persing).
But let's face it, I think most sample packs are just crap and designed for one reason only : to make money.
And it's usually the people who aren't in this long enough that will still believe the sample pack will offer them something new.
("a truely innovative way to spicen up your productions")

I'm not saying the good sample packs aren't around, I'm just saying they are few and far between.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

The rhythmic IR stuff sounds interesting. How do I do this in Reason 4 :lol:

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Do they have 3rd party plugins in Reason 4?

If so find a convolution reverb that accepts IRs.

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

oddmyth wrote:Do they have 3rd party plugins in Reason 4?

If so find a convolution reverb that accepts IRs.

"3rd party's" in Reason 4?.... :lol:

how bout Reason 8 ? :lol:

I don't think Reason ever had a Convo though.