Nearfield Monitors

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Belka
Wastedddd
Re: Nearfield Monitors

Post by Belka »

KH Neumann 120 and the rest of the money into Absorber and Diffusers ...

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

for such a small room, iLoud MTM might be one of the best choices

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

PERIAL wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm
for such a small room, iLoud MTM might be one of the best choices
That`s a very good call for a small room. Those things are pretty amazing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

slowpilgrim
broke

Post by slowpilgrim »

Wouldn’t this be a step down from current set up (rm-07s + sonarworks)? I was thinking of moving down to 5 inches but more than willing to give these MTMs ago if they’re more appropriate for a shoebox.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

slowpilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm
Wouldn’t this be a step down from current set up (rm-07s + sonarworks)? I was thinking of moving down to 5 inches but more than willing to give these MTMs ago if they’re more appropriate for a shoebox.
RM07`s are great monitors. No reason you can`t be producing absolutely beautiful mixes on them.
I don`t think upgrading to 2k-3k monitors is going to help you to be honest.
I would suggest the issue might be room/treatment/experience/technique
New Shit

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

slowpilgrim wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:49 pm
The best would be to try them out in your room. They sounds 2-3x above their price in terms of quality.

Circular
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Circular »

slowpilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:38 pm
Any recommendations for nearfields around £2 - 3k for a really small space? Result6 looks like a good option but can't get over how ugly they are. Geithain RL906s also look like a good option, nice and small.

Using ety er4xrs for monitoring low end.
How useful and accurate are the ety er4xrs (or any other in-ears) for monitoring low end? I've always wanted to try some in-ears as my room acoustics aren't that great right now. Do mixes (low end especially) translate well on them?

Also, do you get ear fatique quickly on them? On headphones (I have hd600's) my ears tend to get tired very quickly unfortunately, even on low SPL.

As for recommendations I quite like the hedd type 20's for that price, I believe there's a mk2 version now. They are pretty big though

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Circular wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:21 pm
slowpilgrim wrote:
Any recommendations for nearfields around £2 - 3k for a really small space? Result6 looks like a good option but can't get over how ugly they are. Geithain RL906s also look like a good option, nice and small.

How useful and accurate are the ety er4xrs (or any other in-ears) for monitoring low end? I've always wanted to try some in-ears as my room acoustics aren't that great right now. Do mixes (low end especially) translate well on them?

Also, do you get ear fatique quickly on them? On headphones (I have hd600's) my ears tend to get tired very quickly unfortunately, even on low SPL.

As for recommendations I quite like the hedd type 20's for that price, I believe there's a mk2 version now. They are pretty big though
I pretty much produce all my music at night. And I do so on ER4XRS. They are exceptionally clear.
My mixes translate really well, I`ll do a final mix check in the day on the nearfields, normally the adjustment are with spatial stuff wet/dry on reverbs
But the mixes generally sit well and translate well in the mastering room. Plus you generally use much lower SPLs.

IEMs aren`t for everyone though, you have to be comfortable with em in your ears. But I love the total immersion, there is just me and the music.
New Shit

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Whenever my trusty AKG 701's break down, I'm thinking of switching to those ER4XRS.
I live in an apartment and I mix on my headphones most of the time already.

Do you use software like Sonarworks Headphone in combination or is it not necessary?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Evert wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm
Whenever my trusty AKG 701's break down, I'm thinking of switching to those ER4XRS.

Do you use software like Sonarworks Headphone in combination or is it not necessary?
The Sonarworks setting is too weird. When dealing with in-ears the ear canal becomes a part of the equation so sonarworks settings just seem to make the sound odd, for me anyway, I have small ear canals and it makes my ears very sensitive to high frequencies.

I don`t even use a headphone phantom centre plugin, I don`t find I need to.
New Shit

Circular
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Circular »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm
I pretty much produce all my music at night. And I do so on ER4XRS. They are exceptionally clear.
My mixes translate really well, I`ll do a final mix check in the day on the nearfields, normally the adjustment are with spatial stuff wet/dry on reverbs
But the mixes generally sit well and translate well in the mastering room. Plus you generally use much lower SPLs.

IEMs aren`t for everyone though, you have to be comfortable with em in your ears. But I love the total immersion, there is just me and the music.
Damn that sounds good! You just sold me on a pair, headphones never really did it for me so hopefully IEMs will be more my cup of tea.

Maybe a weird question but do you get any earwax issues when you use them for long sessions? I remember wearing in ear headphones (cheap shitty ones) when I was younger, back then those things gave me some earwax issues.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Circular wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Damn that sounds good! You just sold me on a pair, headphones never really did it for me so hopefully IEMs will be more my cup of tea.

Maybe a weird question but do you get any earwax issues when you use them for long sessions? I remember wearing in ear headphones (cheap shitty ones) when I was younger, back then those things gave me some earwax issues.
I use the silicon earpieces and clean them regularly and I`ve been fine.
New Shit

slowpilgrim
broke

Post by slowpilgrim »

Circular wrote:
slowpilgrim wrote:

Just get some, they're one of the best bits of gear I've bought considering the use they get vs price (even though they are expensive). I think you'll get used to the invasiveness, it's no drama for me to put them in. Wax build-up is a bit of a pain as you need to wash the silicon a lot, but takes literally 30s then let them dry.

I use them when I'm out and about, be careful of traffic as you can't hear anything outside and use a clip to stop the cable from rubbing, but literally the best way to listen to your favourite music on a walk or w.e. Perfect for noisy trains/planes/working in cafes etc. One of the earbuds started crackling because I'm always yanking them out of my pocket by the cable with my phone attached. Was proper gutted, thought I'd have to buy a new pair. Turns out, no problem, you can replace the cable assembly for £70 and the buds themselves are really sturdy. Expect a loooooong life on these.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

slowpilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:17 am
Circular wrote:
slowpilgrim wrote:

Just get some, they're one of the best bits of gear I've bought considering the use they get vs price (even though they are expensive). I think you'll get used to the invasiveness, it's no drama for me to put them in. Wax build-up is a bit of a pain as you need to wash the silicon a lot, but takes literally 30s then let them dry.

I use them when I'm out and about, be careful of traffic as you can't hear anything outside and use a clip to stop the cable from rubbing, but literally the best way to listen to your favourite music on a walk or w.e. Perfect for noisy trains/planes/working in cafes etc. One of the earbuds started crackling because I'm always yanking them out of my pocket by the cable with my phone attached. Was proper gutted, thought I'd have to buy a new pair. Turns out, no problem, you can replace the cable assembly for £70 and the buds themselves are really sturdy. Expect a loooooong life on these.
Yeah the modular nature of them is great.
Cables can be replaced. Plus you get spare filters to change out once the old ones get clogged.
I was on the ER4PT's before the XRs
Once you get good IEMs it's hard to go back.

I used to have custom earpieces for the old PTs.

I really should get some for the XRs, I got my ears moulded last time I got earplugs made, and they have the moulds still... Custom plugs are really comfy.
New Shit

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Evert wrote:

The Sonarworks setting is too weird. When dealing with in-ears the ear canal becomes a part of the equation so sonarworks settings just seem to make the sound odd, for me anyway, I have small ear canals and it makes my ears very sensitive to high frequencies.

I'm having the best results with my custom in-ears with AutoEQ (Crinacle measurements) in EQuilibrium (FIR) + crossfeed in CanOpener (it's even cleaner than Phonitor's crossfeed), all running through SoundSource. Cannot be more happy =)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

PERIAL wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:03 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Evert wrote:

I'm having the best results with my custom in-ears with AutoEQ (Crinacle measurements) in EQuilibrium (FIR) + crossfeed in CanOpener (it's even cleaner than Phonitor's crossfeed), all running through SoundSource. Cannot be more happy =)

That's literally just inputting presets though right?
So its just generic ER4XR measurements.
No different to using Sonarworks?
New Shit

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

I believe the differences are in measurements and also in EQ and its DSP. I was also never happy with the Sonarworks settings, too weird.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

PERIAL wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:24 pm
I believe the differences are in measurements and also in EQ and its DSP. I was also never happy with the Sonarworks settings, too weird.
I`ll give it a try.
To be honest I`m so used to the sound of these things I`m not sure it will help.
I got them when they came out.
New Shit

Lanthane
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Lanthane »

Finally I had to keep my money because of all the problems with Brexit/Covid... France got lockdown and culture is over so I can't find any job since my post last year..

I probably will stay with my Adam A8X a little bit more and maybe buy some shitbox like Avantone Cubemix to compare quickly.

Or keep a little bit more and finally upgrade to the Neumann 310 as Belka advice and I read some really great things on them.

My wife isn't into some room treatment and my cat will destroy all of my work, but the room is fine.

Does the Neumann 310 still perform well in small room ?

Thanks again for your response and advice.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Belka wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:11 pm
With all of them ^^, Genelecs, Focals, Neumanns, KS, Adams, Eves, Rocks ...
Which EVEs do u have? I recommend to try Speaker at Home, Room and Position plays a way to big Factor ... in the Store i prefered the Translation of the Bass of the Lyds over EVEs 307 and A77x. The old 8050 Genelecs were the worst for my taste. SM9 and 310 were the Winner but to expansive. Lower Budget Winner was the Focal Shape 65 and the smaller Lyd 7 . But its already 2 years ago and my ears are more trained now ... would like to visit Just Music in Berlin again. Do you have Sonarworks? (he rotates the Pic automatically on the Head, no matter how i upload it :? )
If that photo is their test environment for speakers then that is really shitty.
I wouldn`t even try to make an objective decision on speakers when they are set up like that. It`s literally pointless.
New Shit