Midi Sync with Ableton as Master

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
sergiobR1
Wastedddd
Midi Sync with Ableton as Master

Post by sergiobR1 »

Hello guyz ! I hope u all are fine.

Lately, I've been getting some hardware into my arsenal, and today, just bought a Boutique SH-01A.

The thing is, I have a Elektron Rytm too, and until today, I didn't had the necessity to use midi cables, since I've been using rytm with overbridge and getting 0 input delay.

But now that I have the SH-01A eveything is getting fuck'd up, I would like to use the roland live just I do with the rytm in the DAW.

Could you help me on this guys ? I have tried connecting midi cable IN from the rytm into the OUT of the SH-01A but nothing happens,

I have a Focusrite 2i4, do I need a midi interface like the KENTON D Sync ?

mostly this thread is about recommendations so I know how to face the buy time in the music shop.

Thanks.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

TheBinaryMind
pregnant
Re: Midi Sync with Ableton as Master

Post by TheBinaryMind »

To wire MIDI devices in a serial way, you'd need to connect a device's MIDI THRU to the MIDI IN of the other device. Also, make sure they communicate over different midi channels.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah, I`m not sure you have explained your issue very clearly.

You need to set the midi channel on the receiving device, and then messages sent out for that device need to be sent out on that midi channel to effect that device.

Also ---- MIDI sucks.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

Yeah, sorry if I've been not clear enough.

I would like play, sequence and record in REAL TIME just like I do with Elektron rytm and overbridge.

I've been trying to sync the SH-01A to ableton (master clock) and Elektron Rytm, connecting the midi IN from the Elektron into the midi OUT of the SH-01A, am I missing something else ? do I need to connect another midi cable from the rytm into my audio interface ? I don't have any other cable or midi thru box, if I buy another cable or a midi thru would fix the problem ? I mean, I thought overbridge would connect everything thru USB just like happens without the SH-01A, the elektron its sync'd but the SH-01A don't get any sync response.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You can only sync the SH01 to one thing.
I`m not sure how overbollocks works but if I am right, from your description you have
Ableton driving the ER via overbollocks
and then the SH01 is plugged in to the ER?

If so, I`m not sure overbollocks works that way, you might need to drive the ER via actual midi, or midi connect the SH01 direct to your soundcard.

Sounds like this is a problem for someone who uses overbollocks though.

Wait wait.... if the above I said is how you are running things, then you need to probably have the midi out of the ER going to the MIDI IN of the SH01
Midi out means - midi going out of the device via this port
Midi in means midi will come in to the device via this port

Essentially it looks to me like you are trying to send midi from the ER to the SH01, but you are trying to send out midi from the ER but are trying to do so via the Midi in port???
New Shit

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

hmmm actually if I don't use overbridge the audio gets desync with ableton :thinking_emoji:

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Yes, it definite sounds like you're connecting midi in of the AR to midi out of the synth. It should be the other way around.

I use Overbridge but I am not sure whether clock data and transport commands from the daw will pass through the rytm and on to a downstream device. Try it and see I guess, after correcting the wrongly wired midi cable mentioned above.

If it doesn't work, get a separate USB > midi interface and get ready to enter a world of pain getting daw, rytm and synth(s) all correctly timed together.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah, ableton is generally better as a slave than a master, in midi terms.
I don`t let ableton do anything other than record my hardware as I just couldn`t be fucked to sort it.
Best answer is to get a good solid midi clock generator
New Shit

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Your audio interface has midi. I don't use overbitch, so can't tell if it's sending/receiving clock.
You could
a) Midi cable connect AR as master -> focusrite -> sh01
This way your ableton will read the clock from elektron device, and then it'll send midi data to sh01
b) use midi splitter and go like this Fcrite-> splitter -> both AR and sh01.

In first scenario you just need to buy one more midi cable = profit.

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

I have a similar setup but with Ableton as master (so I have record control from Ableton itself). You might try the following steps:
- Configure you AR to listen on MIDI channel 1
- Configure your SH-01 to listen on MIDI channel 2
- Connect your interface with a MIDI cable to the MIDI IN of the AR
- Connect the AR's MIDI THRU to the MIDI IN of the SH-01 (a MIDI THRU is not a device, it's a forwarding MIDI port on a device)

Now, in Ableton you can create "External instruments", and you can then configure the appropriate MIDI channel. Then you could drag this External Instrument to a MIDI channel in Ableton and draw some notes if necessary (probably only applicable for the SH-01).

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I would try to use midi over USB on both, if possible. Overbridge on the RYTM and the Roland shit on the SH. MIDI sync in Ableton is a huge pain in the ass.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

ok, I think I found a solution, it's important to connect the SH-01A via USB, then connect via MIDI to the audio interface, after that, put a external instrument MIDI Channel and connect everything there to the SH-01A. there I can adjust the delay it generates. its not much to be honest.

I take the audio via output mini jack to the focusrite, also connect the midi to the interface.
The elektron has no problem at all since I manipulate everything via overbridge.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

if I don't connect the roland via USSB to the computer it doesnt even respond to any signal. weird.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You should probably read the manual.
It's probably a midi input/clock setting
New Shit

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

You need the driver: https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... a-Computer

Earlier you said you connected the SH-01A MIDI out to the MIDI In of the Rytm. If the Rytm is your clock source, or clock is going via Overbridge from Ableton, then it should be MIDI out of Rytm to MIDI in on SH-01A (and you need to make sure that Ableton is sending Midi Clock to the Overbridge plugin). I have read that Overbridge should send both clock and transport via the device but I have never tried it.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

the output minijack it's the worst trash idea I've ever seen.

I'll try to buy the best jack to mini jack cable I could find cos I'm starting to get mad.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I don't know your exact setup but you need to connect the Rythm midi out with the SH101 midi in.
As a test I would go back to basic and test it first by using the Rythm (with disconnected usb) as the master and sync the SH101 with it.
Configure the Rythm to send midi clock and the SH101 to receive midi clock.
I don't know anything about overbridge; I would use that stuff as I don't trust usb midi.

I have a hybrid setup and generate a solid clock via a expert sleepers usamo as I've never got a solid clock over USB.
I can assure you that I did many experiments with midi over usb; midi clock over usb sucks.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

WOLF! wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm
I have a hybrid setup and generate a solid clock via a expert sleepers usamo as I've never got a solid clock over USB.
I can assure you that I did many experiments with midi over usb; midi clock over usb sucks.
Can you elaborate a bit? That usamo is working like an midi interface, right? Only with that audio-click to midi-clock extra function?
Do you have any kind of midi splitter behind that usamo box or is one midi out enough for your gear?
I'm thinking about getting some midiclock generator, as it's ok but never satisfying without. ERM Multiclock seems tempting as I would be able to correct timing via knob on my desk. I think this could be pretty nice to get grooves tighter, just by adjusting by ear each time. Any experiences here with this?
:geek:

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Although the Usamo can generate notes and cc's I only use it for generating the midi clock.
Usamo midi (clock) out goes to a midi splitter that goes to all my sequencers (3).
Outputs of the sequencers are merged via a second midi patcher that's connected with all the synths and drumcomputers.
Make sure there's only one device that generates clock otherwise you get double speed tempo (settings of your sequencers).
It's possible to give the Usamo's output a offset to adjust the latency but then the whole network starts with a delay (and you have to wait one bar until the start is given to your machines).

The Usamo was bought to test but I'm still using it because it's working great.
No fancy 'magic' technology over here; everything runs fine with dedicated devices. No midi and audio streaming over usb as I wanted to reduce all the shit to a minimum. I've lost enough precious time doing different experiments.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

WOLF! wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm
I don't know your exact setup but you need to connect the Rythm midi out with the SH101 midi in.
As a test I would go back to basic and test it first by using the Rythm (with disconnected usb) as the master and sync the SH101 with it.
Configure the Rythm to send midi clock and the SH101 to receive midi clock.
I don't know anything about overbridge; I would use that stuff as I don't trust usb midi.

it's ok, I've been able to solve the sync issue, I use the rytm with usb to the pc, and the sh-01A has to be connected usb too, then I get the audio from the mini jack (wich it's the worst trash can connection ever) and sync the synth via MIDI IN to the audio interface OUT, it seems that if I don't connect the synth via USB the sync don't gets recognized, that's trash too hah, but well... now I only have to solve the minijack cable thing that if a strong wind touches the cable the signal gets into the void (because I'm using a cheap made in china jack to minijack converter )