---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
terryfalafel
Component
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by terryfalafel »

Macca wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 pm
Just a heads up that the RYTM has a new update with a Dual VCO engine. Gonna check that out tonight.

Also Analog Heat MKII?? That was pretty fast no?
Nice one, cheers. I'd read this was coming but wasn't expecting it for months to be honest.

The new dual VCO engine sounds great. Just had a really nice play with it for an hour.

The Elektron Transfer tool is what was needed for sample management from the very beginning. Thank fuck they've finally sorted that out.

And I've applied to be a beta tester for Overbridge 2. Hopefully that will come through, cos at the moment it's a choice between new firmware, or integration with cubase via Overbridge...

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Just been playing around with the dual vco today. I love it, with parameter locks, lfo and a touch of overdrive it's easy to come up with some really weird stuff. Not fully worked it all out, but great for techno weirdness.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

Can you revert back to the earlier OS that works with Overbdridge after updating?

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Macca wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 pm
Just been playing around with the dual vco today. I love it, with parameter locks, lfo and a touch of overdrive it's easy to come up with some really weird stuff. Not fully worked it all out, but great for techno weirdness.
It really is great. Very different sounding to any of the synths I own.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

rsntr wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:52 am
Can you revert back to the earlier OS that works with Overbdridge after updating?
Yep, I believe so. Just a question of uploading the previous version's sysex file using C6 and it'll reflash with the older firmware

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

rsntr wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:52 am
Yea but make sure to do a full backup of all projects or you will loose your shit.

deckaUK
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by deckaUK »

Dual VCO update is happening on mine tonight ;D v. excited.

Octatrack MK3 idea: 8 individual outputs for octatrack plz Elektron :). but P.S. I do love my Octatrack.

pommel
Face Hugger

Post by pommel »

I'm really pleasantly surprised by this Dual VCO addition, I've always found the rytm to be a versatile machine but this new engine really expands it's capabilities.

Been getting some interesting results running similar instances of the DVCO on channel 3 + 4, each with a different sequence length and letting the voice choking duck the two voices in and out of each other - done while running a kick off another remaining BD track. Good fun.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

I wish I had know about the dual VO addition 6 months ago, I wouldn't have sold my Rytm.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I often read comments like that but the thing is that you should buy hardware for what it's able to, and not for what it might be able to in the future... .

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

WOLF! wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 am
I often read comments like that but the thing is that you should buy hardware for what it's able to, and not for what it might be able to in the future... .
100%

I bought Rytm for what it offered at the time.
I sold it for the right reasons too. If I could only have 1 piece of hardware, it would likely be the Rytm, but in my current setup it was 1. Underutilized 2. Disappointing me on a specific task 3. Sold to fund another purchase

As a single piece of kit, it's outstanding, the right balance of flexibility and simplicity and it's easy to make a full track on just the Rytm. My need was for an outstanding analog drum machine, and what disappointed me is that the Rytm is just "ok" analog drum machine, but is an outstanding overall unit. I found myself constantly underwhelmed by the hihats and cymbals, and the amount of work to try to improve them wasn't worth the effort. Of course you could load samples (which is why I think it's amazing) but I prefer that from my DAW, thus it was sold.

Anyway, I accidentally made this a personal rant against the Rytm - sorry!

It is a great bit of kit though, just not for me.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I've recently bought my first Elektron unit after checking their stuff out for years.
I've bought a digitakt and I like it. It's a handy device and it's not to deep (menu drowning).
The sequencer has some nice tricks and it's a fresh breeze in my studio so time will tell if it's a device to my liking.

I was a bit sad about the first date with it, because trig button number 3 was hanging for around 2 seconds every time I pressed it.
Got a ticket on the Elektron site and got some feedback. The buttons are not seated in the center so there's some kind of procedure to get them there.
That was not a good start point for build quality (mainly assembly fault) but the functions of the unit made up for that.
I just think it's kinda strange to have such an issue because it's not a cheap unit and Elektron says it's assembled in Sweden.
I've also read I'm not the only one who had that problem.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Basically, after the shareholders checked in, things got worse at Elektron, especially the Quality control.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ive got a noob Q's regarding triggering an audio track (song) on the octatrack.

i have a song assigned to track 1. in order to start the song i need to have the trigger set to a solid yellow colour and it will play the song in its entirety. all good. i save the project and turn off the OT and when i turn it back on the trigger is flashing red / yellow and i have to press the trigger again so it is a solid yellow.

is there a way to have this saved and set so that it is always solid yellow and will trigger the song? im sure i had it set up like this before..

at the moment im using the OT as kind of DJ box and loading all of my finished tracks and using the cross fader to mix between them etc.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Brenda wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:47 pm
ive got a noob Q's regarding triggering an audio track (song) on the octatrack.

i have a song assigned to track 1. in order to start the song i need to have the trigger set to a solid yellow colour and it will play the song in its entirety. all good. i save the project and turn off the OT and when i turn it back on the trigger is flashing red / yellow and i have to press the trigger again so it is a solid yellow.

is there a way to have this saved and set so that it is always solid yellow and will trigger the song? im sure i had it set up like this before..

at the moment im using the OT as kind of DJ box and loading all of my finished tracks and using the cross fader to mix between them etc.
solved by double tapping the stop button and the n saving. :D
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

still haven't used the dual VCO in rytm, coz I'm a overbridge cunt.

Is it really worth ?
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

sergiobR1 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm
still haven't used the dual VCO in rytm, coz I'm a overbridge furry clam.

Is it really worth ?
Yes, it sounds fantastic. Gives the box a huge new lease of life.

No, if you rely on Overbridge then there's no indication whatsoever from Elektron when it'll be supported in firmware 1.45.

So choose which you prefer. Personally I've upgraded mine and am treating it as a chance to learn the rytm as a standalone box, rather than a glorified sample playback machine which is how I use it with Overbridge (and an external sequencer)...

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

terryfalafel wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:03 am
sergiobR1 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm
still haven't used the dual VCO in rytm, coz I'm a overbridge furry clam.

Is it really worth ?
Yes, it sounds fantastic. Gives the box a huge new lease of life.

No, if you rely on Overbridge then there's no indication whatsoever from Elektron when it'll be supported in firmware 1.45.

So choose which you prefer. Personally I've upgraded mine and am treating it as a chance to learn the rytm as a standalone box, rather than a glorified sample playback machine which is how I use it with Overbridge (and an external sequencer)...
+1 totally agree.

It sound great.
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

(deleted my thread as this is the place to be for elektron stuffz)

So, I've got a Rytm and a Analog4 connected trough the official overbridge USB hub to a macbook from 2013'ish (8gig mem, i7 etc). So far so good! But, whenever I am jamming for like 20-25 minutes, my elektron devices start to 'stutter' for 1 sec. Just like a small hickup. After the hickup, everything gets back into sync etc, but it's bloody annoying. So far I've tried to adjust the buffer settings for both Ableton and Overbridge. So far, no luck.
Not sure if I have USB 3.0 on it, but i supsect that it's actually caused by the many devices connected to the hub --> Macbook.
2x elektron devices, 1x Push 2, 1x Maschine are connected and all need their bandwith, In fact, the hickups are usually there when there is data send, like filters/modulation etc. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Patriek wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am
(deleted my thread as this is the place to be for elektron stuffz)

So, I've got a Rytm and a Analog4 connected trough the official overbridge USB hub to a macbook from 2013'ish (8gig mem, i7 etc). So far so good! But, whenever I am jamming for like 20-25 minutes, my elektron devices start to 'stutter' for 1 sec. Just like a small hickup. After the hickup, everything gets back into sync etc, but it's bloody annoying. So far I've tried to adjust the buffer settings for both Ableton and Overbridge. So far, no luck.
Not sure if I have USB 3.0 on it, but i supsect that it's actually caused by the many devices connected to the hub --> Macbook.
2x elektron devices, 1x Push 2, 1x Maschine are connected and all need their bandwith, In fact, the hickups are usually there when there is data send, like filters/modulation etc. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Have you tried removing Push 2 and Machine then seeing if the problem still exists?
If that is the cause perhaps you can connect those to another hub, to another USB port on your MacBook.