bouncing for success in arrangement

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
bouncing for success in arrangement

Post by yentz »

Hi,
I am usually struggleing to get my arrangement right. There are too many tracks that besides having adhd make me loose focus and overview.
So I thought maybe I should just bounce some stuff - I am however not quite sure which tracks to put together to stay flexible and dont regret some mixing I should have done before when in the middle of the arrangement. What would you bounce into files to stay flexible but well gain overview and reduce complexity.

Merah
arsehole
Re: bouncing for success in arrangement

Post by Merah »

Reduce amount of tracks, with your adhd you'll find your music becomes more expressive and free - flowing.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

I am just not sure which sounds to integrate in the audio files. Offbeat Hihats as one audiofile I suppose. What about the claps or snares for example etc? Maybe it depends on the track and there isn't a good recipe for this. I just dont want to end up regretting that I bounced this or that sound into the "stem" as I can't edit anymore.

I also wonder what would be the best way to bounce tracks if compressors on groups etc are not as insert on the bus but on a return track for parallel compression. When soloing a track and bouncing it would that not result in the compressor acting differently as it is just one signoal going in?
Would I have to keep the returns and mut them when bouncing and then compressing the grouped audiofiles afterwrds with a send return?

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

I often think about these variables, most of the time, if i think the bus compression wont sound the same i'll not bounce the tracks, but deep down I know i'm being adhd about things..
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Not sure I'm getting the problem, if you bounce groups you will still have your original project, correct? If you really want to edit something, just go back and bounce the parts individually, or make the edit and then bounce again as a whole.

When you're comfortable deciding which things should go together you can also try and experiment with grouping tracks you wouldn't expect and throw on different fx or combinations of them, sometimes gives interesting results.
how far do you want to go

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Generally, I would bounce the parts that are more background/filler sounds like a drone or some incidentals.
As you said, the parts that are filler depend on the track you are creating.

If you use Ableton, you can get things organized by grouping channels as well.
I use groups for my Porc/hats, atmosphere/pads and incidentals for example.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I mean how many parts/channels are you using? Techno is fairly simple, reduction is the real heart of things.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

thanks for your answers.
I suppose doing a background percussion stem, one for fx sounds, a bass stem, kick, claps/snare, offbeat hihat and vocals would be really taking it to the max in terms of reduction but giving me the possibilllity to get some nice stuff going with audio editing.
I am doing tech house or something like this so I am hving lots of tracks with just small snippets of funkloops from which I think all need individual eqing that is why it is gett messy.
Just bouncing one track down at the moment. Will see how this goes.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Maybe save the project before doing the bounces for starters? So you can go back if you make some regretful decisions. Once you gain some confidence in those decisions you won't need to go back. I'm also at this trouble phase. "But what if I want to change it a bit later on..
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

yeah, i always bounce the project, and next day i'm always deleting it, it's a bad habit, however you know deep inside your self that you need to change something in it, but after some hard work, everything will go with a flow

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

0dd wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:20 pm
I'm also at this trouble phase. "But what if I want to change it a bit later on..
Enough with this 'what if this, what if that' Just commit and move forward.
This also applies to life.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

buffered wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am
0dd wrote:
I'm also at this trouble phase. "But what if I want to change it a bit later on..
to be true, i never heard his music :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:

0dd

Post by 0dd »

juodas wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:30 am
buffered wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am
0dd wrote:
to be true, i never heard his music :?: :?: :?: :?: :roll:
:?:
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Music of who?

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Odd lol

0dd

Post by 0dd »

I've only posted 2 or 3 WIPs, and you've commented on one..
But what does that have to do with anything?

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

0dd wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:07 pm
I've only posted 2 or 3 WIPs, and you've commented on one..
But what does that have to do with anything?
Nothing mate :lol:, i'm just curious that's it. :roll:

0dd

Post by 0dd »

I'll post something in a few days :ugeek: while we're at curiosity, what's the deal with your signature? :) I think Hades also asked a few times.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

0dd wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:58 pm
I'll post something in a few days :ugeek: while we're at curiosity, what's the deal with your signature? :) I think Hades also asked a few times.
Well i have a ibs, which i messed up my life a bit :lol: and stomach really badly with junk and fast food, which i'm suffering now, for example when i'm drinking too much alchohol or eat the foods i shouldn't i have yo pray in the tpilet :lol:, however there's really bright side of it, i become vegan and i'm trying to eat whole foods all the time, which is really good for my mental and phsycial health, better moods(yeah food does a big influence towards your mental state) i can do more things, produce more music. I think i'm quite happy that it happen to me, it change my life completely. :lol :roll: :geek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

juodas wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:52 pm
0dd wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:58 pm
Well i have a ibs, which i messed up my life a bit :lol: and stomach really badly with junk and fast food, which i'm suffering now, for example when i'm drinking too much alchohol or eat the foods i shouldn't i have yo pray in the tpilet :lol:, however there's really bright side of it, i become vegan and i'm trying to eat whole foods all the time, which is really good for my mental and phsycial health, better moods(yeah food does a big influence towards your mental state) i can do more things, produce more music. I think i'm quite happy that it happen to me, it change my life completely. :lol :roll: :geek:
You said vegan..... I love you a little bit more now.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.