Condenser microphones

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Condenser microphones

Post by The_G »

Hey guys...

...looking to get a condenser mic to record vocals. A friend has done some good recordings with an AT2020USB, but I think I'd prefer to go for an XLR microphone (then route it through my interface).

Do any of you have experience with microphones in the sub-$300 range? I don't have a large budget, unfortunately.

terryfalafel
Component
Re: Condenser microphones

Post by terryfalafel »

Rode seem to get good reviews at the budget end of the market.

Don't forget the phantom power for a condenser mic

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Yeah I'll check those out--they do seem to be available here.

My interface (KA6) has 48v phantom power, so should be sorted.

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

you could also look for a used beyerdynamics mc740 or some used akg c414. altough the akg might be a bit over budget.

i ve also done good vocal recs with a shure sm7b but for that to work the voice really has to fit the mic so to say :)

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I'm using Rode NT3 and i'm very happy with this. Besides Vocals it's very good for percussion and stuff.
:geek:

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I'm leaning toward the AT2020 for cost reasons (I can get it for about $100USD here). With another kid on the way, I need to watch my music spending until more music income comes in haha.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Studio Projects B1 works very well for me. Much bang for the buck. http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/studio-projects-b1

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Low entry - AT2020

It is not superior but with right gain staging it is really cool for it's price. Used was ~70USD here.
I have two of them, so it's cool to have the same pair of microphones for example as overheads, or for stereo job,
recording ambience.
I use them every week with fellow rapper mate, we are happy with the results.

Mid entry - Rode NT-1, etc

I am relating here "low", "mid" entry, as once when I looked up tons of reviews, these references came up, regarding price and usability. I can't say anything about them, only that they are cool as many reviews state it.

If you are recording vocals, make sure your enviroment is prepared. A stable microphone stand, low ambience in the room (household devices are noisy, I don't make recordings when the washing machine is on), decent acoustics. Those microphone shields are worth the money, so are pop filters. You have to spend on this project once and you will be happy for years. Also a decent pre-amp is also important!
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Not a condenser but the Shure beta 58a is a tried and tested vocal mic, used everywhere.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Factory refurbished for little over $300, the EV RE20.
Neither a condensor, but very versatile. My favourite on sax/horns, great on bass/kick, super for vocals (Stevie Wonder recorded most of his hits with this)
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

RE20 is my fave mic of all time.
I recorded all the vocals on this
https://singularityrecordings.bandcamp. ... -a-victory
With an RE20.
Beautiful mic.
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:Not a condenser but the Shure beta 58a is a tried and tested vocal mic, used everywhere.
Interesting, I was just looking at one of these yesterday. I had a Share SM58 for live vocals back when I was in a band, but never really thought about them as a serious studio option. I understand the Beta is much more sensitive and thus better suited to studio applications.

Right off the bat, I like the durability and fact that it won't need phantom power (though my interface can supply 48v). I was told that it also makes home studio life easier in the sense that it doesn't pick up as much background noise.

How do you think the Beta SM58 compares to a similarly priced condenser?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The_G wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Not a condenser but the Shure beta 58a is a tried and tested vocal mic, used everywhere.
Interesting, I was just looking at one of these yesterday. I had a Share SM58 for live vocals back when I was in a band, but never really thought about them as a serious studio option. I understand the Beta is much more sensitive and thus better suited to studio applications.

Right off the bat, I like the durability and fact that it won't need phantom power (though my interface can supply 48v). I was told that it also makes home studio life easier in the sense that it doesn't pick up as much background noise.

How do you think the Beta SM58 compares to a similarly priced condenser?

Well, I have a few condenser mics, personally I think you have to spend a fair bit more to get reliable and versatile vocal performance with condensers.
Lower price jobs tend to be a little more coloured, which might not be good for particular voices.

The good thing about the Beta SM58 (and a plain old SM58, it`s slightly lesser brother) is that they kinda just work for most vocals. They are very easy to use, to set up, to perform with.. It`s a sort of "can`t go wrong" microphone.

Saying that, if you do want a little more refinement that you get with a LD condenser I would recommend the Violet: The Black Knight Really hard to find though, but amazing mics and within your budget.

Failing that, SE electronics X1 S, really stunning vocal mic for the price.

And then 3rd choice would be a Rode NT1, flat, low low noise floor, kinda industry standard, another can`t go wrong.
New Shit

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

I'd join the others who have recomended røde mics for lower budgets.

I have the Røde M3. Which is a pretty cheap condenser (about £80). And to be honest for that price i'm really impressed with it. Compared to SM57 / SM58's which i've used in the past I'm getting a far better sound (for my voice at least).

I'd assume their other stuff is spot on.