MicroGranny 2.5, any owners here?

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Monreal
You only live once
MicroGranny 2.5, any owners here?

Post by Monreal »

Looks like a fun to use pocket sized sampler.

http://noise.kitchen/shop/bastl/bastl-i ... led-tribe/

tdmusic
Informer
Re: MicroGranny 2.5, any owners here?

Post by tdmusic »

Damn that looks like fun! £160 pre-built too, http://www.juno.co.uk/products/bastl-in ... 556336-01/. Very tempting!

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Think Mslwte was looking at one of these a while back..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

My mate got one. I wasn't too impressed to be honest. It's kinda fun to kill some time with it, but it gets boring pretty fast. Honestly, when it comes to granular I find software like The Mangle or one of the countless Reaktor ensembles much more inspiring.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Yeah I've been thinking about one of these for a while but never committed to buying one as I'm not sure if it's really going to add something worth while to my set up. It looks like a whole lot of fun but I would probably be better off spending the money elsewhere. I look out for them on eBay but they don't come around very often.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Frikshun
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Frikshun »

Wanted one for ages, bought it, sold it after 2 weeks. It's a nice thing but lost its appeal quite quickly, wasn't quite as useful as I'd thought. The one thing I found really annoying was you had to be very precise when editing and the slightest knock sent the sample into a different direction and it was frustrating to keep redialling the parameters again. Smplr for iPad is a good manipulation tool and the Volca sample can produce interesting results too although again small knobs. I do like bastl generally though, looking forward to that fx unit coming out..if it ever does..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Reckon I'm going to pick up one of these mad bastards. Had my eye on one for a while.. but the euro is strong against sterling ATM.. so there is good value to be had buying from the UK.

2019 - anyone have one & like it? :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

I got one from friend of mine on xmas. It's a cool thing to mess around, got really gnarly digital feel to it.

I might score you some b stock of you want to, I'm still kinda tied to them Bastl guys.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cheers man. So.. have you been able to use it musically / bring it into your DAW?

Kind offer regarding the extra grannies.. but I have it bought now. Really appreciate that through 😎😎🏆

Fourty Two

Post by Fourty Two »

Well my first attempts were using it in tandem with Digitone for breaks chops and distorted drums, but for some reason it was still lagging behind the midi from Digitone. I had a quick chat with Cenk of Elektron, he is still using it (like from day one) and he had no problems at all so I guess I'm just numpty and didn't chopped breaks properly or set file format for it wrongly.
I ended up running it through guitar multiFX pedal to Digitone as drone box.

There's a talk about next version of granny around crew, cannot really spill all the beans and I guess it's stuck in some development swamp. Kinda reminds me that situation with Thyme.

I'm okay with just Ableton and Reaktor these days, but recently, Simon Swarm Intelligence was showing of his gear and he was mentioning this box as one of his favourite peices of gear. I might give it a go one day, just for some sound design.

But I gotta delete that startup sound, it's giving me serious PTSD triggers 😀

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah, I'll be honest.. seeing that article reminded me that it was on my list. The euro /UK exchange rate made it around 35€ cheaper ordering from the Uk, so thought 'fuck it'. While I have the cash, it was now or never :mrgreen:

I know SI's stuff well. That album he mentioned is nice & crunchy.. he's a stalwart of noise. Consistently excellent productions. His 2 Ableton Push vids are cool.

Hopefully MG3 will have a chip for upgrade? Fingers x'd.

Sound design is where I see it. Ear candy. Gritty textures. WTF sounds.

I have some old Boss 1/2 rack units that Autechre abused to get gritty mangled sounds from, by using drumloops & a keyboard to pitch down a delayed signal. This reminds me of that tbh.. really like that vibe. Would be nice to be able to dial it in a little with the MG. The Boss units leave to chance more than anything. They're lovely.. but they need to be coaxed somewhat to have a panic attack 🙃

Fourty Two

Post by Fourty Two »

Well, as far asi know, it's not possible to squeeze more from that current architecture of mg2. They got the wall right on release and as Václav (that developer you will hear everytime you turn that thing on) told me that they pretty much had to bend over backwards to squeeze all that coffee onto current (and outdated) chip.

There have been some talks about keeping current format and upgrading to newer chip, but at that time priorities have shifted towards modular synths and Thyme, which was supposed to be next big thing. I was set to port that to machine by myself to chip that Braids from mutable instruments are using, but life got into way and I never really started.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Fourty Two wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 am
Well, as far asi know, it's not possible to squeeze more from that current architecture of mg2. They got the wall right on release and as Václav (that developer you will hear everytime you turn that thing on) told me that they pretty much had to bend over backwards to squeeze all that coffee onto current (and outdated) chip.

There have been some talks about keeping current format and upgrading to newer chip, but at that time priorities have shifted towards modular synths and Thyme, which was supposed to be next big thing. I was set to port that to machine by myself to chip that Braids from mutable instruments are using, but life got into way and I never really started.
Sorry man .. i have a new phone & I deleted my reply twice while typing. 3rd time lucky hopefully.. :mrgreen:

So, the hackable aspect of MG.. is that regarding the way OS chips can be updated?

2.1, 2.4, 2.5 etc.. is at max & nothing can be done for 3.0 except a new design?

Or can 'normal' people go in & tweak it? I don't even know how to do that & not sure I'd ever be competent enough to try, but are there 'user OS' versions online somewhere with different features or improvements?

I get it though.. there's a certain point where enough has been done & it's easier to add more stuff to something new. Especially after learning so much new stuff along the way.

a$$erbik
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by a$$erbik »

Fourty Two wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am
I'm still kinda tied to them Bastl guys.
Any idea if they are still planning on releasing new firmware for it? I bought one of those FTDI USB to IC breakout board to update my MG (bought used and it still had v2 on it). It'd be sad if it's only going to serve me once.

Fourty Two

Post by Fourty Two »

Dude, tbh... I have no clue. It's still one of theirs best sellers, but I have no clue if they are planning to realese any updates, anytime soon or ever. I'll ask a Václav if I see him, alright?

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Anyone know of any overlays for these things?
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.