How is Ableton Push from a purely production point of view?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Stace
Classical Approach
Re: How is Ableton Push from a purely production point of vi

Post by Stace »

Ooooooooooooooooh. Thanks darlin :)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

StacieAnne wrote:I have started using Live in the last week. So far, I am REALLY enjoying it. The only thing I am not enjoying is the arrangement window. I used to fly around it with Logic 9 and I was VERY comfortable working that way.
I'm sure you've had a go at it, but you should really embrace session view. It's perfect for dance music, especially techno. Create all your loops, then create your scenes, press record and then play your track in live with the scenes. Finally switch to arrangement for the tweaking. I don't always do it exactly like that (I don't use scenes much) but thats the theory and its a fun way to make music.

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

having a push 1 and never really got into it. it isn't event connected to the computer at the moment.
maybe push 2 is better but I really dislike about it that menu diving is cryptic and there wasn't a proper integration with vsti's (browsing presets for example). completely free without using the screen is way better solved with maschine (I know that those two are not compareable at all). With Push I saw myself grabbing the mouse all the time and getting annoyed by the push being in the way to do all sorts of other stuff.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Think the push2 is a whole other experience.

But youd have to try it out

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Chopping samples on it is fucking awesome. Simpler integration is awesome. I love the thing.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Alume wrote:Think the push2 is a whole other experience.

But youd have to try it out
Pretty sure it is. Never understood how they could go for that fucked up 80's style display. Live has so much options to offer, in 2014 or when it came out proper displays were standard already and from my point of view it surely wasn't a design based decision.

Might have to try the 2 but right now I am just recording into live and using it for effects and mixing so no vsti's at the moment.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

nomadjames wrote:Chopping samples on it is fucking awesome. Simpler integration is awesome. I love the thing.
That's reason enough in my book.
Was thinking of getting one but thought they were overpriced a bit in the beginning, but that's always the way.

The one thing that hooks me is watching vids of it being used where the laptop is just whirring away in the background ..

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Yeah i'm pretty set on buying once after Xmas is out the way and getting on that 20% off hype.

Sampling in my main way of producing, hopefully a good fit. I'm using TAL-Sampler currently but I can fuck with Abletons Simper.

I love the workflow in ableton. I make like a 16 bar loop in session view with every element, then drag to the arrangement view to build the track. Works for me.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Planar wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:I have started using Live in the last week. So far, I am REALLY enjoying it. The only thing I am not enjoying is the arrangement window. I used to fly around it with Logic 9 and I was VERY comfortable working that way.
I'm sure you've had a go at it, but you should really embrace session view. It's perfect for dance music, especially techno. Create all your loops, then create your scenes, press record and then play your track in live with the scenes. Finally switch to arrangement for the tweaking. I don't always do it exactly like that (I don't use scenes much) but thats the theory and its a fun way to make music.
I am 100% in love with session view. I have REALLY enjoyed using it. I like the idea of push so I don't have to use the arrange view, which I really don't like :)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I use arrange quite a lot, am i missing something?

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I use nothing but the arrange view. I honestly don't see the point of session view unless you're doing a live set.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Session view is great for getting ideas down and not having to worry about arrangement. You can then quickly duplicate ideas to iterate or try something new or whatever. It's super quick and has that groovebox type feel to making tunes.

I make the track and all elements in session view, then switch to arrange view to finish the track, automation, etc.

IDK, works for me.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Plyphon wrote:
I make the track and all elements in session view, then switch to arrange view to finish the track, automation, etc.

IDK, works for me.
I'm using exactly the same method.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Session view is essential, it`s a more musical process.
Making music in arrangement view is like working with spreadsheats or something.
It`s so removed from the process and it leads to building patterns and structure visually rather than aurally.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I honestly don't even use the whole triggering different clips thing that much, I just love session view just because I FUCKING HATE LOOKING AT TIMELINES I HATE THEM SO MUCH

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

Sessionsview is the major cause of loopitis for me though. I've been looking at push for a while now, but still not conviced. Productionwise, I am not a controller guy, I still use the mouse a lot and polish it all up in arrangement view.
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Oh, this seems like a good place to ask this. I tried to map my laptop keyboard keys to each track to trigger them in arrange view. For some reason it isn't working and I can't for the life of me work out why :(

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

what do you mean with 'trigger tracks in arrange view'? you can trigger clips in session view, and record your jam in/to arrange. the whole recording process needs some thinking/practice, as it can get pretty confusing (automation recording, what with conflicts between clip envelopes and arrangement automation, overdub,...).

did you check BTA (back to arrangement)? session actions always overrule arrangement
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

borg wrote:what do you mean with 'trigger tracks in arrange view'? you can trigger clips in session view, and record your jam in/to arrange. the whole recording process needs some thinking/practice, as it can get pretty confusing (automation recording, what with conflicts between clip envelopes and arrangement automation, overdub,...).

did you check BTA (back to arrangement)? session actions always overrule arrangement
I meant in session view to be written into arrange view? Does that make sense? Is it even possible? I am very excited by the idea it is.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Do any of you use clip triggering/follow actions?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.